• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

My AC30 screams...and not in a good way

PeeCee

:huh

Yesterday I plugged in an old AC30 and started to play. Not too loud--if that is possible with an AC30. Everything sounded great for a few minutes...

...then, the amp took on a life of it's own and started making this noise that started out sounding a bit like feedback, but much worse.

The best way to describe the noise would be the sound of pigs in a slaughterhouse in those disturbing YouTube videos--squealing...screaming...needless to say, it was extremely unpleasant and worrisome.

Even after I removed my guitar cable from the amp input. The noise remained (so it's something happening inside the amp). It disappeared slowly when I turned off the amp.

I let the amp cool down for a while, then I plugged in and turned on the amp again. After a few minutes later and the same thing happened.

The amp is a 64 non Top Boost model. I had the two non-vibrato channels jumpered. I was getting a bit of a warm amp smell, but no smoke

Can anyone help me out on this?

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
This sounds exactly like the problem Im having with my Fender deluxe reverb! I just posted the same problem last night. Check out my post and you will see.

PeeCee

Thanks guys!

I just read your DR post. Definitely sounds like the same problem. I'll check my preamp tubes. I probably won't have time to do it today.

I hate the way that the tubes in an AC30 are so hard to get to...

PeeCee

Here's an update.

I opened up the AC30. Turned it on played through it for about an hour and no problem. I'm leaving it on just to see if anything will happen. I'm sure the gremlins are waiting till I get it closed back up before they start acting up again.

I tried tapping the tubes to see if any of them sounded different than the others, but they all sounded the same. Any suggestions?

Trending Topics