My advice is to NOT buy an Eleven Rack

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jhall, Feb 10, 2012.

1. jhall

jhall Member

I have had mine for about a year. Yes it sounds really good. I also purchased the expansion pack for it. But the Digi Avid or whom the hell ever is responsible for the idiotic way it deals with upgrading to a newer computer just killed any advantage this thing has over even a Line6 Guitar port that you can ger for about a hundred bucks. Yeah it may have better modelling (debatable) but Line6 KNOWS what guitarists and computer recording neophytes need. You can just plug your Line6 Device into your new whiz-bang new computer and with a few driver downloads you're good to go. With the Eleven Rack-Pro tools-avid (average) they must think you're going to stay with the same computer for the rest of your life or something. I mean 'cmon, your Eleven rack is already the dongle for the godamned thing isn't it?
    All I want is to be able to use my freeking pro tools software as a GUI editor for the stupid thing. I find Pro Tools to suck for me and I have a registered version of Reaper that smokes PT for me. All of my drum midi software plays nice with it and all. With Pro Tools... no dice.

I WOULD NOT BUY AN ELEVEN RACK AGAIN UNLESS THEY PUT OUT A STAND ALONE EDITOR!!!. there are too many good alternitaves at MUCH lower cost.
    I am at the point where I'd like to take a hammer to it.

2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to ProTools... some of us would have warned you if you asked.

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

I agree, PT is the main reason I don't own an 11R anymore :(

4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

can't the 11 rack be used with something other than pro tools?

5. bigtone82

bigtone82 Member

Whoa... put down the hammer, put your 11R in a box... I'm PM'ing you my address. I'll take care of 'er until you calm down :)

6. richpjr

richpjr Member

Heh, this hits very close to home. I'm just about ready to sell my 11R and move on because I absolutely refuse to spend $500 to upgrade to PT10 just so I can load presets on OS X Lion. A stand alone editor would fix all of that for a very modest investment on their part, but it would unshackle users from the PT world so they don't seem real interested in that. Of course, pissing off people to the point where they refuse to buy anything from Avid doesn't really help their cause...

7. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

For recording, sure. Other DAWs will see 11r no problem.

For editing on a computer and, most importantly, upgrading your firmware? Nope.

8. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

wow, i never use pro tools but i love the way the 11 rack sounds and it's easy as hell to edit patches with the knobs.

but the lion thing is a pain in the ass.

9. richpjr

richpjr Member

Absolutely. You just can't edit any presets except using ProTools.

10. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

You can record the 11R via USB using any ASIO compliant DAW.
    What you loose is the GUI editor and the ability to store your 11R settings with the track you just recorded.

11. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

you CAN edit presets without pro tools, you just can't load other people's presets

12. vinceh

vinceh Supporting Member

I had an 11 rack and still have PT. I have the latest version of 9 and it works on Lion. Why the need for 10?

13. richpjr

richpjr Member

8LE that came with the original version of the 11R doesn't work on Lion.

14. richpjr

richpjr Member

And you can't back up and restore your own settings.

15. rcl

rcl Member

Pro-tools achor sadly kills the 11R for me. Someone want to make an ipad tool-score!
    I still have it, it is a pain to sell it at this point because of the license issues. I sold one I got new, but this one I got used-so it will stay. I have enough settings that work well enough. Line6 has always been good with those tools. Fractal is getting there. Even the GSP1101 has an editor.

16. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

I do agree; they would expand their user base if they just offered a stand alone editor. I think the 11R is a great live tool, but there are better tools out there for studio use only.

17. mpr

mpr Member

The system requirements for v10 say it requires Win7. Does the current 11R package come with 8LE or something else that runs on XP, and provides all of the same editing/backup/restore functionality?

18. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

You forgot to mention Miss Congeniality in their support department.:sarcasm

19. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Absolutely.

This is the problem with investing in a low-end product (PTLE, I'm assuming that's what the OP is using) from a vendor of a high end (PTHD) system. I don't think Avid gives a crap about the PTLE user base. The upgrade thing is a good example. As far as user friendliness, I cannot imagine how a DAW noob would navigate this thing. I am a PC expert and a proficient DAW and MIDI user, and I have gotten to the point of tearing my hair out with PT at times. Reaper? Easy. Open it up and it records stuff. You know, like a DAW is supposed to. To me it's the difference between a product designed from the outset for the prosumer/amateur user vs. a professional product bastardized to try to capture a few bucks from the lower end of the market.

20. richpjr

richpjr Member

The current version now comes with 9 and a free upgrade to 10. There is still some older stock floating around with 8LE in it.