My all time favorite boutique overdrive is........

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
It may be too inexpensive to qualify as "boutique," but my Barber Burn Unit EQ stopped me from searching for low to medium gain ODs.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I have a bunch I have really liked over the years, but the Red Snapper is probably my favorite of all.

ummohyeah

Screen-shot-2013-07-08-at-11.13.49-AM.png

Smallsound/bigsound Mini. I'm lucky enough to have the version shown, with topmount jacks and rad design.

I've gone through a lot of overdrives, but as soon as I got this, I was in love. Fits my playing style perfectly. Crackly, sparkly, tons of gain on tap, extremely versatile. Kills Rats, Tubescreamers, and Klons in its sleep. And it has such a cute name.

<JT>

....the Catalinbread Silver Kiss MK2. :aok I can't even tell y'all how many overdrives I've bought, sold, and traded over the last several years but this one has stood the test of time. It sounds like no other overdrive I've heard and it's simply magic with a neck humbucker at a very slight gain setting into a clean amp.

f0d0135e-cd28-4377-979d-a329670c69f9.jpg
YES!! My favourite OD of all time. So much sparkle and chime! It can sound harsh when practicing by yourself but sounds killer in a live mix

transmission

Dr Scientist Heisenberg. Great low, mid and high gain tones. Hardest part is choosing which gain mode to play in as they're all good.

Smallsound/Bigsound Fvck also gets a mention, but still got a lot more exploring to do with that.

Occultapus

Lumpy's Tone Shop Class A is the best od pedal I've heard.
The guy that runs Lumpy's is just one of the best in the biz imo, all his drives sound great.
Looking forward to his return.

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Silver Supporting Member
The Damage Control "Liquid Blues is a fantastic pedal but HUGE. Had one for several years but finally ditched it due to the size and I moved to a better amp. It was the best "boutique" overdrive I've had. These days I don't look for boutique. I have 3 pedals that I love Digitech Hardwire CM-2, DOD 250, Boss BD-2. These 3 pedals will stand up against almost any more expensive options IMHO. Just got an MXR Il Neutrino I need to try. Ditched my Wamplers, Skreddy's and Catlinbread.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
What is it about the red snapper that does it for you? 3 knob or 4 knob version?
I really prefer the 4 knob. I have been using a small box 4 knob since 2010, but the new, 20 year anniversary big box sounds great. It is the one I have on my board right now. I have had a few of both, and the cut really allows me to dial in the brightness with whatever amp or guitar I'm using. I like the type of grit the RS has. I use it in place of my tweed Deluxe with a compressor in front whenever I use a clean amp. It has a nice grainy grit to the overdrive and can even get a little fuzzy sounding, yet it can be clean and snappy if your roll the gain back.

Chance

It is really hard to say I have a favorite.. I would probably have to say Klon KTR, but the ones that have stood the test of time that would all be in my favorite category are the Tim, Timmy, King of Tone, Klon KTR, Wampler Euphoria, Barber Gain Changer, and WFRI Rat.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom