My Allen Accomplice project is finished, pics inside

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by diddlybo, Sep 19, 2006.

1. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Allen Accomplice with El-34's, 2-10 cab from Ken's Cabs with Eminence Ramrod and Ragin Cajun. Sounds good so far.

David Allen and Ken from Ken's Cabs were both very nice to work with. They both have high quality gear andtheir customer service is top notch.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

someone has been busy!!!

have you fired it up yet? (think: that scene from the Frankenstein
    movie......."It's alive......it's ALIVE!!!")

:)

3. telest

telest Member

Looks great! How's it sound? :AOK

Steve

4. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Oh yeah, I fired it up big time and this thing is loud as all hell! The El-34s bring out more of a brit flavor to the amp and with the volume and raw knobs turned up it sounds more like an early Marshall than a Fender. Thats what I was hoping for. I don't know if its the cab, the speakers, or the amp, but it pumps out bass like crazy! My only complaint is the reverb is not quite as lush as I thought it would be. Definitely not like my Carr Slant 6v, but its still pretty good. Any thouhts as to how I might tame this a bit?

I'll probably drop some 6V6's and 6l6 tubes in just to see what that sounds like with different tubes.

5. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Would that be Young Frankenstein?

Actually, the first time I fired it up I thought it was DOA. I built it with my dad and when we flipped the switch to take it off stanby we both looked at each other with an "oh ****, it doesn't work" look on our faces. The thing was so quiet we both thought it wasn't working. I hit the strings and was almost suprised to hear the notes come out! That was when we had the "Its Alive" moment.

Many thanks to my dad, who's wiring skills were responsible for a solidly built, very quiet amp.

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Check w/David...he may be able to help you w/the reverb.

7. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

I'll probably do that. I may have to get the bass tamed down some as well. The bottom end is huge. Sir Mix-a-lot would love this amp!

8. riffmeister

I use my Accomplice with the bass between 9-10 oclock, in other words, just cracked a little. It's a pretty snarly beast with that Raw control dialed up, isn't it?

9. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

whoa what a great amp build! Nice work !

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

Yeah, bass way down on these amps as compared to what you might be used to on other amps. I think mine's on '2'.

11. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Yeah, very snarly! Much more than I had expected. You told me so on that one!

I think the reverb may have a problem. I've heard the reverb is very lush on these but mine is nowhere in the same ballpark as my Carr Slant 6V. Even just a little bit or reverb is almost overpowering. It seems to be too harsh sounding, which has been a bit of a letdown, actually.

12. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Thanks!:BEER

13. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Yeah, "2" is about where I leave mine and the bottom is huge. So much so that I'm afraid I may have blown the Ragin Cajun speaker. It makes a buzzy sound on sustaining low notes. Maybe that will go away as it breaks in. If not, I wonder if Eminence will replace the blown speaker? Its only a couple of days old.

14. cameron

cameron Member

BF Fender-based tone controls are set up so that one usually keeps the bass setting pretty low. On an old Super I used to use regularly, I never put the bass up past 2. I'm sure you could adjust the tone stack to make it react more like a Marshall in that regard.

15. riffmeister

Yes, I use mine with the tone all the way down and the mix just cracked.

I am sure David could tell you how to modify the amp to bring the reverb levels and brightness down some.

16. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

How much experience did you have with building amps before you did this? I have been thinking about a project amp but I have only built some pedals up to this point.

17. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

I built it with my Dad, who has a tremendous amount of experience. He built his first tube amp over 50 years ago and almost all of the wiring was his work. He could have probably finished it in half the time if I hadn't been there helping. But hey, I wanted to have some fun too.

After the kit was finished, I asked him if he thought an absolute beginner could assemble this kit. He was of the opinion that this kit was too much for most absolute beginners to tackle. However, he did think that someone who had completed some smaller projects with good results and had their soldering chops down could probably handle it.

If your pedal building experience has gone well, you could probably build this kit. If you get stuck on something, you can call or email David Allen and he'll help you out tremendously. I had to call him three times and got him on the phone immediately each time. He's a super nice guy to work with for your first project.

18. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Cool.... Thanks.

I am just worried about the deadly charges and whatnot.

19. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Supporting Member

For just this reason, when I build a blackface-type circuit, I use a 100k pot for the bass control instead of 250k.

Bob Arbogast