My Allen Encore has been transformed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluenote04, Jan 23, 2008.

1. bluenote04

bluenote04 Member

I've been playing my Allen Encore head through a detuned 2x12 cabinet for a couple of months while I was looking for a deal on a speaker. I found an Emi Swamp Thang on eBay for cheap before the holidays, and it's just now breaking in. I decided to combine it with a RWB per some of the recommendations on TGP, and bought one from TGPer ChickenLover last week.

The amp sounded just fine with the ST, typical BF tone with some bottom end thump. Once the speaker opened up a bit I got more punch, as I had hoped.

I installed the RWB last night & played through each speaker one at a time to compare them. The RWB seems pretty well broken in already, and has a bit more highs than the ST, which has more mids and more bottom end thump. The difference is subtle but noticeable. Almost like playing through the same speaker with different tone control settings, but not quite as drastic as using a bright switch.

Both retained a nice BF clean tone, with just a bit more hair using the ST.

Once I compared the speakers, I wired 'em both up.

HO
    LEE
    CRAP!

This sucker breathes fire now! :dude

The combination of speakers really transformed the sound. Not only is it louder, it has a looser, warmer, less polite sound. It just sounds 'rude' in an oh so musical way.

I tried it on both the 4 ohm & 8 ohm settings, and preferred the 4 ohm setting. The 8 ohm setting (mismatched with the speakers in parallel) was a little closer to one speaker, but still sounded grittier than one speaker at 8 ohms.

Even with the MV at full, the volume at taste and the raw knob at 1, the amps seems to have an edgier, looser, less polite sound. I like it, but it's not quite as clean as before. Turn up the the volume or the raw knob a little and she just gets nasty. :)

I really like the combination of these two speakers, but now i have an amp that can't really be considered a 'bedroom' amp. It was stretching the definition before, but now it just shatters it. It's just too damn loud.

I'm seriously considering adding an on/off switch to each speaker lead so I can play either speaker or both anytime I want. Without this I have a feeling I won't play it as often, which would be a real shame.

I'm gonna e-mail David Allen & let him know he's got a real fire breather in a 2x12 Encore.

2. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

All Right Now!!!

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

4. bluenote04

bluenote04 Member

The cab is an Avatar 2x12 traditional, and the tubes are all Tung Sols, except for the rectifier tube, which is a Sovtek.

Trust me, you don't want to hear me play. I have no way of recording it anyway, yet. I may take it to a friends house at some point, and if I do, I'll record it there & post some clips.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

If I understood you correctly, you are saying that the Avatar Traditional is a detuned cab. I don't think it is.

6. jay42

jay42 Member

I think he meant that he had it stuffed as a 1-12" and after comparing put both speakers in.

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

I think you are right. Just for clarification and no other reason, calling a 2 X 12" cabinet a detuned cab simply because you are using it with one speaker left out is a bit like saying you car is a truck simply because you try to use it like one (like I did with my old Volvo years ago). The dimensions for a 2 X 12" detuned cab, as given my Kevin O'Connor, the person who is probably most responsible for popularizing their use is: 24" W X 36" T X 16" D. You will get some of the detuned effect but by no means the full potential. The 2 X 12" detuned cab makes for interior volume greater than any 4 X 12" cab I know of. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

8. bluenote04

bluenote04 Member

uh, ok. :rotflmao

Jay42 had it right- I called it detuned simply because it only had one speaker.

9. Phineas

Phineas Member

i got similar results when i hooked up my encore 112 combo to my ear candy buzzbomb which is detuned. it's stocked w. ear candy scholz sugarcones and my encore shook the walls down!