• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

My amp is a moody beast

Che_Guitarra

I swear every time I fire up my (Fender 6G2) amp it sounds a little different. The variance isn't 'huge', but enough to make me pick up on it. I play daily, and sometimes it sounds astonishingly good, other times I fire it up and it seems to be holding off on its full mojo.

This perception isn't linear in the sense that it's slowly deteriorating over time - the tone seems to ebb and flow. I'm noticing it more on the note bloom - sometimes the amp seems to bloom more heavily than normal and the body of the note sounds a little thin. Other times it sounds totally cohesive and I have the tone of gods.

I love my amp, but I wish I could understand its moods a little better than I do.

Is this a common observation or am I on my own?

towtruk7

Do you leave the amp in one place or do you move it play it? Could it be your room acoustics based on where the amp is positioned? I have a D/13 head and Dr.Z cab that completely change in sound based on where they are in the room and how close they are to a wall/corner.

NewDr.P

unless you have bad electricity where you play its probably in your head.

it happens to everyone.

Lullabies

Interesting topic.. I have never had this happen to me. My amps always sound the same if I have not touched the EQ.

Silent Sound

As others suggested the power may not be consistent from day to day. That' s not uncommon. Also, changes in humidity and air pressure will effect the sound. Not as much as the changes in wall voltages, but enough to be noticed by a careful listener. Lastly, as also mentioned, your hearing perception will vary throughout the day.

I've actually reamped guitar parts in the past on different days where I thought I had the final reamp take complete, only to find a small error in the DI track that I wanted to clean up. Then after cleaning up the DI track, I figured I'd just reamp that small section and blend it back in with the rest of the track I had recorded the previous day. All of the mics, preamps, amps, cables, you name it, hadn't been touched and were still in the same position they were the day before. But after re-recording the reamp, I noticed the re-recorded part stuck out as sounding a bit different. Just a slight different tone. Not enough that most people would even notice, but it did bother me, and since it was so easy to do, I wound up re-recording the whole reamped guitar part. And having done so much recording I can tell you most people would be surprised at how seemingly tiny little things that most people would gloss over can make a big difference! You'd be surprised at how few guitar players actually pick the strings at the same spot each take. Stuff like that doesn't matter on a live performance, but when you're trying to punch in and out little sections, it can be quite obvious.

ken374

My house was built in 1960, I remember 6years ago going through a lot of amps then and now, there would be days I went through the same thing! Tube rolled alot and adjusted pickups till I found the sweet spot. The mesa Mini rec and my fender with the bogners been pretty constant sounding from day to day or when i could turn up. Weather can impact the speakers with humidity I think.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom