My amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mesa, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Mesa

Mesa Member

So I have been playing around with different ways of setting up my amps. I am working on a new set up right now. Here is how it started a couple weeks ago.

[​IMG]

I am liking having the heads, tuner and (new) power conditioner all together. I think its makes for a clean set up. Last night I made some progress by cutting wooden shelves for the racking so that the amp feet don't slip through the wire shelves. I also adjusted the shelf heights to be better suited for the heads. In the spring (ie when there isn't 5 feet of snow out side) I am going to paint the wire rack and the wood shelves black. As for now here is the amp shelf.

[​IMG]

I also cut up some wood to build a box that will hold the power conditioner and the tuner, so that is next on the list of to do's.

PS sorry for the crappy cell pics.

2. illini

illini Member

Very clean. What happened to the 212?

3. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Very nice setup.
    Only thing I would change is pull the shelf away from the wall a bit to have easy access to the back panels of the amps.

4. scotth

scotth Member

What Model is the Fender?

Is that a stereo 4x12?

5. Mesa

Mesa Member

The 2x12 is on the other side of the room because my dad is using it right now for his new Orange micro terror. Normally the Marshall head runs through the 2x12.
    I agree it would be nicer to have the shelf off the wall a bit but I don't go back there often and I didn't want to eat up floor space.
    The 4x12 can be hooked up in stereo but right now its just the Mesa head.
    The fender was a red frontman 25R combo but I got bored and decided to make it into a little head. Sounds better in the big cab's anyway ;)

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

So is this your dads stuff or your stuff? Most importantly, don't waste the time/energy/$ on trying to paint that shelf. Paint will start chipping in no time. It will make a mess and start to look like crap. They make those racks in black too. Just buy one of those.

7. Mesa

Mesa Member

Everything is these pictures is mine, except the 2 tele's hanging on the wall. My dad and I share all our gear so it really make no difference.

8. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I put the heads right on top of the speaker cabs...pretty cool, huh?

9. retroLS1

retroLS1 Supporting Member

Looks clean. I would put them on a taller shelf unit so you don't have to bend down all the time to mess with them.

10. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

Yeah. Stack that sh!t.

I like the Tom Delonge strat.

11. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Cool! When my son is old enough and playing better than he
    does now (9) he is welcome to use all my gear whenever he
    wants. I never understood the territorial pissings some Father's
    and Son's have when it comes to "gear."

Good on you and your Dad! :aok

12. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have always liked those Delong Strats. What I would have loved to see is that color in a sparkle. Rad. Enjoy that gear.

13. Mesa

Mesa Member

Thanks guys. I remember being a little kid (5 or so) and listening to my dad play his Yamaha acoustic. I know sit and play that same acoustic for my son, who loves it and will grab the pick and try to strum. When I was 12 I got my first guitar (squier strat pack) and although the music choice isn't always the same, my dad and I share the same love for guitars!

As for the Delonge strat, I know its often a love or hate thing and people don't like the lack of versatility, but it is one of my favorite guitars. I love the wood in the neck, the feel and the overall look of this guitar. It is actually the oldest piece of gear I have. I bought it from guitar center in buffalo when it was first released, before it was even available in Canada.

14. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Cool. Been wanting to set up something similar myself.

15. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I've often thought about a rack that would "straddle" the cabs and hold the heads up above the cabs at about half-stack level

16. CDP

CDP Member

Nice rig, and I really like the clean layout. Ever tried backing the cabinets across the corner where those two walls meet? I may be wrong, but that might enhance the bottom end response. Just curious, and I have no science to back it up.

17. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

However hard I try to have a tidy practice space, I always end up with a mess. When I get to work on music at home, I am writing charts, swapping guitars, running my iPad through monitors, and trying to build defensive walls out of cases to keep my 3 year old from "helping" too much.
    I keep most everything in its cases under the stairs, ready to head out the door to play.

18. Mesa

Mesa Member

Small update: I put the box together and mounted the PC and the tuner in. I have also order some shorter power cords to go from the PC to the amp heads and tuner in an attempt to clean up the wiring on the back end. I also ordered a footswitch for the Marshall head. Should have them soon.

I am still planning on painting the wood and wire shelves black once spring hits. If I decide to keep the shelf setup for the amps I will probably buy some better quality plywood and redo the rack box and the shelves.

[​IMG]

19. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Very nice.

I've been thinking about doing something similar with my amps. The only problem is that they're all combos (including a Bluesbreaker RI and a AC30) so I'm not sure if the racks can take the weight.

20. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I'd lose the shelving and just put the heads on the cabs...