My ASCAP story, with a question

VTR

First off, I rarely post, I have good intentions, but just not much of a poster. Partly because I get in a hurry, or just feel like I obsess over what I have typed. Having said that- I will try to keep this short and sweet. I did do a lot to promote my material.

I released two CDs quite a while back, they were received favorably (acoustic finger style stuff). In 1999 I copyrighted all my stuff with the Library of Congress. I joined ASCAP in 1999 also, if I remember correctly you needed to have a bonafide release to join. Lon Van Eaton used one of my songs and wrote lyrics to it, he released that on a CD he did with his brother called Black and White. Look him up, it was a strange meet up.
Anyway, joined ASCAP, received a membership card, and some statements, never making a dime and never expected to really. Statements stopped coming, did not see anything from ASCAP for 15 years. Last January I received a check from ASCAP for 144.00$. Maybe this was all I made from 1999. It turns out it was for 4 months in 2015. Did ASCAP finally hire a couple guys to track internet stuff? On the statement was my membership number, so I hopped on line checked it out. Thought I might get specifics on plays from where-ever, but no. Mmm had more money coming, received another check for more than 144.00, about three months ago, and more is coming according to my account. Now all of this just made my day. I suppose through CD Baby, (I joined back in 2000 (?) (when Derek Sievers ran it) my stuff has been distributed to just about every where imaginable. Accept Pandora, which I did recently, and it was excepted. So I guess, ( and my question) this money is from plays on Google music, Spotify etc. etc.. wouldn't you think? But with artist making 0.024 cents etc. on plays I am pleased I joined ASCAP. Anybody have any comments, ASCAP members, etc?? Now I just need to be publisher of my stuff and I will receive double, because I am one getting 50 percent.

jdogric12

Congrats on finally getting that dough! I've been a member since 1996, IIRC, and just recently have activity that yields revenue. make sure to register as both the writer and publisher, if appropriate, so you get 100% of royalties instead of 50%. I don't know it well enough to advise you, but it's worth looking in to.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
i'm a little confused.

1) did you actually register all of your songs with ASCAP, naming the writer(s), publisher(s) and their percentages, and on which releases you knew it to be performed? (even if you're the only writer/publisher?)

if you said yes to the above:

2) was there radio-play for your songs, back in the day or now or whenever? like, for example, Lon Van Eaton's recording?

and,
3) have you spoken with a writer's representative at ASCAP, yet?
that should be your first priority: have all of the information about all of your material in front of you, then call to ask your questions & to answer their questions, and don't hang up until you understand how thisall works.

ASCAP is a non-profit organisation; they collect performance royalties for you, when they have all the necessary information of your material.

ASCAP distributed $1Billion in 2015, alone;
there are waaaaaaay more than a "couple guys" working to collect for the performance of every member's material, both on the internet & anywhere/everywhere else it might be performed.

Last edited:

VTR

If you haven't already, create an account
Yes, I have been to my account, information is not specific, the money is from internet activity only.

Congrats on finally getting that dough! I've been a member since 1996, IIRC, and just recently have activity that yields revenue. make sure to register as both the writer and publisher, if appropriate, so you get 100% of royalties instead of 50%. I don't know it well enough to advise you, but it's worth looking in to.

Thanks for the Congrats, I feel vindicated in some strange way! I Plan to register as publisher this Christmas break. That is done under your ASCAP account.

1) did you actually register all of your songs with ASCAP, naming the writer(s), publisher(s) and their percentages, and on which releases you knew it to be performed? (even if you're the only writer/publisher?)

Yes, but I still need to add a few compositions, and register as publisher, and overall just make sure I have everything registered.

) was there radio-play for your songs, back in the day or now or whenever? like, for example, Lon Van Eaton's recording?

The play was just for the last four months of 2015, and that is what surprised me. I have been in contact via email about registering as publisher, this is all done through your account online. I still need to add somethings, ex: Never registered the Lon Van Eaton composition.

VTR

ASCAP distributed $1Billion in 2015, alone;
there are waaaaaaay more than a "couple guys" working to collect for the performance of every member's material, both on the internet & anywhere/everywhere else it might be performed.

That was just a joke about the two guys. I think ASCAP, BMI, etc. were caught of guard just like the record companies when the MP3, internet stuff hit the scene. I think they have been playing catch up.

Bogner

Nothing new to comment on but I want to encourage you to please register and list all your appropriate credits so you have the opportunity to be paid from various sources etc.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom