My Asheville, NC weekend vacation review

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jamess, May 7, 2015.

1. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

First of all, huge thanks to all those who have given their input to the various Asheville, NC threads over the last many months. I read your suggestions and had a fantastic weekend in part because of them.

Last Friday morning (May 1st) my brother and I headed out from Chapel Hill and drove west to Asheville. The weather was great, overcast but not raining. The drive took about 3.5 hours.

We pulled into 12 Bones restaurant for a late lunch and had the best ribs and mac 'n cheese I have ever had. For my tastes, it was PERFECT, and I've had a lot of ribs in my day. I wish I could eat there weekly.

We stayed two nights at the Downtown Inn. The hotel is dated but clean and the staff was very friendly. If I was planning a romantic weekend with my wife I would prefer to stay elsewhere like the trendy Aloft hotel, but for a getaway weekend with my brother it was just fine. Plus at $100 a night instead of $300+ anywhere else it left lots of cash to spend on food and drink. It is located right in downtown so you don't have to drive anywhere.

Friday night we wandered around the downtown area and landed at Jack of the Wood just as a five piece band was setting up. They described themselves as ‘new grass’, blue grass with a jazzy twist. They killed it! Incredible talent that had the whole place hopping. Guitar, banjo, double bass, mandolin, violin and excellent harmonies. They didn’t actually have a band name, they were each in other bands and just jam together doing their versions of David Grissom and Bela Fleck –type covers. We stayed there with drinks flowing until the place closed at 1:00am and then stumbled back to our hotel, literally one block away.

Saturday we slept in a bit and then drove up the Blue Ridge Parkway 40-50 miles and hiked to Crabtree Falls. The weather was perfect with blue skies and no bugs AT ALL. It was such a great day to hang out with my brother. The falls were spectacular with the Spring run-off in full force.

Dinner that night was excellent at Isa’s Bistro. Their signature cocktails along with Shrimp and Fingerling Potatoes Poutine started the meal with a bang, and their porterhouse pork chop finished me off.

During all of our time wandering Downtown Asheville the street performers were in full swing. Great music, jugglers, gold-painted statue people, drum circle of 50+ people along with hula hoop dancers, balancing acts, and much more.

Sunday morning we had an outstanding breakfast at the Tupelo Honey CafĂ© and then left for the Biltmore Estate which is really indescribable. Words like magnificent, awesome, incredible and unbelievable come to mind. It truly is an amazing feat of architecture and landscaping. If you are ever visiting Asheville, do not jip yourself out of a visit to the Biltmore. One must see it to really get a feel for it as pictures don’t do justice.

From there we drove back to Chapel Hill Sunday evening and wrapped up our brother’s get away weekend.

Thanks for all the tips!

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

Sounds like fun. I love a weekend in Asheville...

3. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

The next time you are there, have dinner at Limones. Amazing Cali/Mex cuisine with a boutique tequila selection as well.

Trust me!

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I read that as "vaccination review" and was thinking what a shitstorm this is going to be. :D I like Asheville. Nice place with nice people. Do you have a picture of the Shrimp and Fingerling Potatoes Poutine? Or maybe a recipe? :drool

5. jamess

^ Sorry, no pictures or true recipe of the Shrimp and Fingerling Potatoes Poutine, but it was prepared something like this:

- bake 2-3" long fingerling potatoes whole with skin on until done.
    - press potatoes to about 1/4" flat under a heavy pan or spatula so that the sides burst out a little.
    - briefly pan fry the flattened potatoes in a little oil so that the outside is crispy.
    - put potatoes on serving plate while very hot and sprinkle with a little shredded jack cheese to melt.
    - generously drizzle brown beef gravy over the potatoes and cheese.
    - top dish with a few cooked and peeled large shrimp.
    - finish with a light sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro.

- enjoy with a tasty cocktail and a good friend!

6. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

That'll work! Thanks!

7. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

Nice review. I've eaten at Tupelo Honey two or three times and just reading the name of that restaurant again has my mouth watering.

8. jamess

Yep, Tupelo Honey served up an excellent breakfast. Next time I'm in Asheville I'd like to try their lunch or dinner menu.