My AX8 review.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by RLD, Apr 27, 2016.

1. RLD

RLD Member

It's friggin' awesome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Elric, Ken, Willowdale and 7 others like this.
  2. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

yes, yes it is... ;-)

3. scottburrow

scottburrow Member

I will double that!!!

4. veritechc

veritechc Member

The Helix is more frigging awesomer!

The Axe FX 2 is more frigging awesomer!

The Helix features are even more awesomer then the Ax8!

A headphone jack is definitely superior (looking at you Nic!)

A USB audio interface is superior and useful!

A discount on the Helix is super bad a$$!

A used Axe Fx 2 Mark 2 that is the slightly more then a AX8 is even more superior and awesomer!

And all of the above posts and comments (including mine!) are completely useless and not superior or awesomer for the people actually looking for information on the Ax8 @RLD

3dognate likes this.
  5. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

i wanted to get a discount on a Helix and was told by MF that Line 6 isn't doing any discounting right now, hence the reason you see 10 of them on ebay for $1499...i was hoping to try one out at home for like $1100 used

i already think the AX-8 is amazing sounding

6. RLD

RLD Member

The AX8...is awesome.

7. dray3573

dray3573 Member

I've had the Helix since last November. Got the AX8 yesterday late afternoon. Can't keep both. The Helix is on the Austin Craigslist.

Both are excellent, but there is something about the Fractal that resonates with my preferred tone right out of the box.

Willowdale, stratchamp57 and scook like this.
  8. mwc2112

mwc2112 Member

Dammit, you plagiarized my review!

9. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Just wait till they port over the Quantum version 3.0. It's a legitimate paradigm shift. I played about three hours with it on the Axe today for the first time and was blown away. :)

Willowdale, dray3573 and scook like this.
  10. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

That's what they said about Quantum and Quantum 2... It better blow my doors off when they release it for AX8... AX8's Human interface is already on my S**t list.

11. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Yes, but that wasn't me....:)

I definitely think that Fractal has continually made incremental improvements, and that Quantum firmware versions 1 and 2 were a good step up.

Some of the amp models and characteristics I was on the fence about before have arrived now as far as I'm concerned.

I'm really enjoying the XL+

12. dray3573

dray3573 Member

Over on the Fractal forum people are finding success using a cheap Tablet running Windows 10 to run ax8 edit.

It's not something I see myself needing all that much but for maybe 60-70$ bucks it'll connect via USB and make editing at a gig much easier for those of us that are still learning the interface. And then you will also have a device that can be used for other stuff, like playing games while your waiting for the drummer to show up.

blandified likes this.
  13. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Ah you misunderstood me... I have no complaints really about editing and navigating the UI for that purpose... It's the performance aspect that I find to be the shortcoming. Display and footswitch LED behavior could be a lot better than it is... It have to keep hold for X/Y turned off to have decent response for using it live and switching scenes with X/Y changes to be acceptable... Tones and editing are just fine as is. (Though the lack of a dedicated page left button still pisses me off as I'm editing. Shift + Page often becomes page + shift + page + shift + page when I go on auto pilot and miss first time)

dray3573 likes this.
  14. veritechc

veritechc Member

I just updated to Quantum 3.01 on my Axe Fx 2. I'm not really hearing any difference. Is there a reset you have to do?

15. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Depends on how you're set up. Go into Global on the front panel of the Axe and make sure Default Modeling Version is set to Latest. Update Axe-edit and refresh the block definitions and everything should be current as far as I know-- I'm still pretty much a noobie. In the preamp section someone can currently switch between the Latest and versions 2.04, 2.01, and 2.0 if they're inclined. Also in March this year Fractal updated the factory presets in the download section.

I've only plugged my Strat in today, and so far with single coils it shows.

16. veritechc

veritechc Member

Thanks for the advice on the front panel. I never touch that so that might be the issue. I have done all the rest though.

[​IMG]

17. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

You're welcome. Better not blink because they just fixed a bug and current firmware is version 3.02. One more download and refresh and you're good to go. :)

18. veritechc

veritechc Member

Now this is one of the things that can be frustrating and great about Fractal. I wish they would release a final version with all the bugs worked out but its great they fix the bugs so fast.

19. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Even the betas are really stable. It's usually just little kinks in these type of quick fixes, and yes they are very responsive.

Elric likes this.
  20. jageya

jageya Member

in 6 months or next year the helix will be cheaper....its too new now.I plan on getting one in 2017