My band added three new songs tonight. We like diversity...

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
My cover band had a really good 2018, gig-wise, and it appears that 2019 is not going to slow down as we're booked solid the first 6 weeks and then we've got gigs out into June with more to come, I'm sure.
When my wife and I started this thing we were adamant about being a little different than what we'd heard from the typical cover band fare and wanted to choose songs that reflected our own diverse tastes, inspired by what we might have heard listening to early '70s AM pop radio when we were kids; where you could hear The Doors and then Helen Reddy and then James Taylor and then Argent and Neil Sedaka and Todd Rundgren and Stevie Wonder, etc...

So, at practice tonight we brought in 3 new songs that we'll be debuting at our gig tomorrow night:
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
Shania Twain - Man, I Feel Like a Woman
Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop the Feelin'

These follow our other most recent additions of:
Synchronicity II - Police
No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley
Dance the Night Away - Van Halen

We like to keep people guessing what's next. :)

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
You wanna keep people guessing?
Try throwing “Raining Blood” in the set. That’ll cause some head scratching.:banana

We are really lacking in the metal department, that's for sure, but I don't think Slayer is going to be on the short list of possible songs to learn.
We've talked about possibly doing Holy Diver, Tesla's Love Song and maybe Krokus' Screaming in the Night...which was the very first song my wife and I ever played together back in 1985. :eek:

Captainruss

Platinum Supporting Member
We are really lacking in the metal department, that's for sure, but I don't think Slayer is going to be on the short list of possible songs to learn.
We've talked about possibly doing Holy Diver, Tesla's Love Song and maybe Krokus' Screaming in the Night...which was the very first song my wife and I ever played together back in 1985. :eek:

If I was in a club and you guys played Krokus I would lose my mind. I used to listen to that song and album over and over. But that song...man that was great. I still have it on vinyl.

Yam the BOMB

Blues Dentist
Platinum Supporting Member
My cover band had a really good 2018, gig-wise, and it appears that 2019 is not going to slow down as we're booked solid the first 6 weeks and then we've got gigs out into June with more to come, I'm sure.
When my wife and I started this thing we were adamant about being a little different than what we'd heard from the typical cover band fare and wanted to choose songs that reflected our own diverse tastes, inspired by what we might have heard listening to early '70s AM pop radio when we were kids; where you could hear The Doors and then Helen Reddy and then James Taylor and then Argent and Neil Sedaka and Todd Rundgren and Stevie Wonder, etc...

So, at practice tonight we brought in 3 new songs that we'll be debuting at our gig tomorrow night:
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
Shania Twain - Man, I Feel Like a Woman
Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop the Feelin'

These follow our other most recent additions of:
Synchronicity II - Police
No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley
Dance the Night Away - Van Halen

We like to keep people guessing what's next. :)

Check My Brain would fit in perfect in that line up.

NorCal_Val

Krokus would be a neat choice. Not as well known(overplayed) as the other two. Maybe “Rock Me” by Great White? Or “Face The Day”?

2HBStrat

Those are probably a little bit better group of songs than many bands play, but nothing very new at all except for the JT song, so.......kudos?!?

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Those are probably a little bit better group of songs than many bands play, but nothing very new at all except for the JT song, so.......kudos?!?

We do a couple of modern tunes...Feel It Still by Portugal. The Man...and Home by Phil Phillips...but the bulk of our stuff is probably '70s.
That said, we've got plenty of '90+ songs from Foo Fighters, Incubus, Train, John Mayer, Sheryl Crow and more and can go from Let's Stay Together to The Rover to Red Barchetta to Cult of Personality to Valerie in one set; from Motown to modern.

tycobb73

Silver Supporting Member
If it's a hit I'll play it. A few that are in my show

Lady in red
Boy named sue
Glycerine
Shape of your body
Baby one more time

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Just once... if you know you're likely not to book the venue again toss in Bodycounts (Ice T) Cop Killer, that'll keep them on their toes

We definitely have to add a "we're never playing here again anyway" kind of song.

If it's a hit I'll play it. A few that are in my show

Lady in red
Boy named sue
Glycerine
Shape of your body
Baby one more time

We actually are more into B-sides and deeper cuts than hits simply because lots of other bands play the hits. For example, other bands play "Can't Stop Believing", but we don't. Instead we play "Separate Ways" and "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'" and they both go over great.
They play "Barracuda" and we play "Dog and Butterly" and "Love Alive"...and sometimes "How Can I Refuse".
We also like some obscure tunes like "Colorful" from Verve Pipe, "Dig" by Incubus, "Steve McQueen" by Sheryl Crow and "Dizz Knee Land" from Dada.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I think we'd be likely to bring this one in...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom