My band got mentioned in a Facebook flame war.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Rick Lee, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Our cover band has never ending issues finding and keeping a drummer. It's more often than not a matter of drummer's real job getting in the way or family issues. We just lost the latest one with a mid-Dec. gig on the books. So our band leader reached out to the local drummer FB page and got in touch with a guy I've seen a few times, who's a touring pro, hired gun-type. I told band leader this guy is a fantastic drummer and we'd be lucky to have him. This was about a month ago. Yesterday was to be our first practice at a rented space. Drummer emails us all and asks what the gig pays, said he has a $125 minimum. Uh oh. Seems he thought we were just hiring him for a one time gig, while we thought he wanted to join the band and we'd just split the money like most bands do at the end of the night. This is a bar gig with two other bands. So splitting the door between three bands with 4-5 members each is probably going to be well short of $125 per man.

Our band leader and newest ex-drummer simply never thought to ask each other about the money thing, each wrongly assuming the type of gig situation this was. Band leader couldn't control himself and unloaded on the guy on email. Mind you, the rest of us all have professional day jobs and aren't in it for the money, while this drummer lives from his gig money. So obviously a big gap to bridge here. I totally get that, especially if he turned down other work for this one.

Anyway, drummer took it to FB, his page is public and we all have a ton of mutual friends, mostly local musicians. Drummer made it sound like we wanted him to do a onetime free fill-in gig, which is not at all what we wanted. You can imagine all his friends' responses. Of course, our band leader couldn't restrain himself and jumped into the fray. It became bloody car accident scene from there. We may need to change the band's name now. Sheesh.

2. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

You’ve officially “made it”.

3. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

The socials, man.

CowTipton and Fishyfishfish like this.
  4. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Spinal Tap is your band?

mobius, Dr Bonkers, buzzp and 5 others like this.
  5. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Those guys were way more professional.

Spacehead_, BLNKSN, Geeze and 16 others like this.
  6. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I've seen those posts and am thankful I don't regularly play with anyone like that..... your rep can be damaged by association.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  7. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Your band leader needs to be taken down a few notches.

8. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I guess the only way that happens is by the fact that this band has been broken up and reformed countless times over the last 10-15 years, and band leader is just about out of local musicians who will deal with him. I get along with him because he's as honest as the day is long, which I prioritize over being easy to deal with. But I think the rest of us put up with this because we have no better band situation competing for our time/effort at the moment. If/when that happens, it will all implode again.

pepedede likes this.
  9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

This rented space, I think it's for rehearsals.
    Good Luck!

PBGas likes this.
  10. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Just went back to look for that FB thread. It's gone now, replaced with his regular political vitriol - LOL. Band leader texted me this morning and said he had called to apologize and all is good now. But sheesh.

pepedede, JiveTurkey and Tom Thumbs like this.
  11. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Hopefully, something was gained from the friction & you can all move forward.
    Personally, I'd be re-working my solo acoustic list. :bonk

shane88, AZJim, Dale and 2 others like this.
  12. cram

cram Member

Go all in - write a tune about it. No percussion, but an ironically misspelled title. Perhaps, "Moneypot Cymbalism". That's all I got before I start to become bummed out that I've involved thought into this.

strike3, Mugs, Gasp100 and 5 others like this.
  13. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

You thought a pro would play for beer money?

Mayflower, JPH118, RCM78 and 7 others like this.
  14. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

You know, when I first got together with this band in 2013, I answered a CL ad. They gave me a list of songs I had always wanted to learn anyway and just hadn't gotten around to. So I was excited. I told the drummer in my Rush tribute about this audition and he told me he used to play with them, band leader was a drama queen, had exhausted most of the local musicians with his BS and I was the latest who didn't know any better. Man, I was bummed when he told me that. And he wasn't wrong. But I like learning these kinds of songs and the constant turnover means I get to know a lot of other great local musicians.

slider and johnhager25 like this.
  15. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Well, I don't know why else he'd reply to a post on the local FB drummer page looking for a drummer for a cover band that plays bar gigs AND then make no mention of money in the month's worth of email exchanges before the first practice.

Since I was in college, I've honestly never played in a band where anyone was doing it for the money. So we always just assumed an even split of whatever we agreed to play for or ended up with after the door count.

pepedede, epauley and crambone like this.
  16. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

gotcha

17. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

I hope your BL gets HIS act together. Sounds like he has some communication shortcomings. He actually thought a "touring pro ... hired gun type" was going to join his little bar band as a permanent member? Or thought the guy would play a sub gig for pocket change? Granted, the drummer should have talked $$$ beforehand. I do quite a few sub and one-off gigs, and before I say "yes" I get agreement on pay, which is more if I have to rehearse with the band, have to travel more than one hour each way, or have to incur other expenses. I have my price, and it doesn't matter to me one whit whether the band gets paid less, or even a lot more than me, as long as I have what I agreed.

As to the FB drama ... meh ... drummers and band leaders, what can you do?

18. Nathan Carrille

Nathan Carrille Member

Just because someone is a professional doesn't mean he gets jobs thrown at him. He's got to look for it everywhere just like everyone, but unlike everyone they don't play just for the fun of it, and you and your band should know better.....

ned7flat5 likes this.
  19. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I've still never met the guy or had any contact with him, just saw him sit in with a local tribute band two times. I had no idea he saw ours as a one time sub gig, and it looks like band leader didn't think to ask or discuss. Lesson learned. That will be the first question from now on.

20. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

One of the first things I would ask is how much someone needed to be paid for a sub gig. They are doing you a favor. I've given the sub all the money and the rest of the band has played for free or close to it.