• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

My bands first you tube experience

snoggin

This was filmed by my wife , not Comcast( that video comes later) with our little hd camera. Its the first time I have seen myself really,,,,,, be kind hehe or not.. Its funny its like riding a racing bike . when you are learning you think you are totally leanes over but in reality you are half what it feels.. Thats how I learned to exagerate movements when learning them.

I am going ot work on moving and getting into the song more and just let loose and try and exagerate and try to be more interesting and not fake.

Still I think it came out ok, three original songs. The camera mic was crying for mercy somewhat lol

A great thing. after you a start the video you can click on the HD button and the quality is amazing. You can watch full screen and it still looks great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-7MR93OWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ6-UzUmWOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFlc0Mt_Ft8

rybass

Sounds good. Presence isn't bad.

It freaked me out the first time I saw myself on tape. I thought I had great stage presence and some sweet moves but on tape I was stiff and goofy as hell. Have you started practicing infront of the mirror yet?? Just wait it will come...

snoggin

Haha , I wholeheartedly concur on the stage presence. I have played in fornt of people about maybe 8 times now and at first I was a total statue so believe it or nto this represents prgress.

But I am getting comfortable with the singing now and not so self concious and trying to become more of a Ham and showman. I am going to start just trying to be looser even at rehearsals and have some fun with the tunes . It doesnt come totally naturally to me at all this performer thing.

It's a lot of fun

Thanks for looking

princetonreverb

Z_Zoquis

Yeah, seeing yrself on tape gives you a whole new respect for what the great frontmen in music do. It's truly a skill that almost rivals the fundamental musicianship. Even with cover bands, the crowd wants to see a bit of a rockstar show on stage - and it almost doesn't matter how cheesy and cliched it all may be...

lpfella

Nothing bugs me more that someone who over exaggerates their movements on stage because they feel they have to or even want to. It comes through clear as day how contrived it is to the audience. That is my .02

I would rather see someone barely move if it is the alternative to watching some dude behave in a contrived manner onstage. That said, some people can pull off the over exaggerated movement and stage presence and make it look completely natural with no hint of contrivedness. Being able to tell if you can successfully do this or not is the important thing because remember, if you think you can pull this off and your really can't....... We will all be picking up on your self-consciousness and the extreme amounts of time you have spent thinking about how you should move and act while on stage and that crap will speak way louder than your music.

Oh and snoggin, I mean this for everyone, including myself.

Z_Zoquis

yeah theres definitely a line in the sand between doing it and OVER-doing it. Basically, I think the audience wants to see you enjoying yrself. If you are standing there shoe-gazing for three hours, well. On the other hand, if you are up there bouncing around like a moron for three hours...well you know. :) I think it's pretty important (at least if you want the people to go home thinking "what a great band that was") that you engage the crowd a good bit.

This is something I'm challenging myself to get much better at. I tend to be really introverted in groups and that just doesn't make for a fun lead guitarist...it took me forever just to start to get comfortable with kicking the boost on during solos. The sudden volume increase always screwed me up for a few seconds - "EEK! everyone can hear me now!!!"

snoggin

Yeah I do know what you guys mean.. Thats why I say I want to learn how to express on the outside what I FEEL on the inside when I am playing that stuff. It comes down to figuring out how to be totally in the moment and unselfconcious I think..

Like was said. If youtry too hard and arent yourself it will show up clear as day and look rediculous. I get that , I just want to release the INNER ME hahahahhahaha.

snoggin

That was good and I really liked the song too.. How did you record it? It looked like it was done in a Church? maybe.. the recording quality was really good.. I listened with headphones..

Mine the camera mic was compressing like crazy but its only meant as an interim thing.

Where are you guys from?

snoggin,

first of all, I dug the performance and the tone, and mucho props for origianl tunes!
i hate to sound cliche, but man a couple of beers really help me out, no kidding.

not sure if you have to be a member to see this, but i think you can rock pretty hard without coming off fake, especially if you genuinely feel the lyrics

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/video/video.php?v=513145979434&subj=1422013853

or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMnj2b-Anks

lpfella

I do agree that there are crowds who want you to engage them through a good stage show and what not. But no matter what, if the music is good, no stage show (i.e. exaggerated movements or over the top cliche rock crap) is necessary.

It may be due to the fact that I play music so my perspective is skewed, but I have always been highly entertained by watching the less showboating members of the band as they have seemed so focused on what they were doing. I also love to watch band members watching each other on stage even for most of the performance because when they are locked into each other and what they are trying to accomplish together. I think that intensity and dedication to the music is something I really enjoy to watch in a performance. I could be in the minority though?

I hope that makes sense to someone.

snoggin

I am the same way really.. I listen to the music but ,,, I can be drawn into what someone is trying to get across if theyre body language communicates to me as well.

Drawing me into the excitement they are feeling as they play.. Angus for instance is an extreme example but I dont think anyone would accuse him of faking it . He's just that way and THATS what makes him special. Those riffs come out of his bones

snoggin

Someone commented on You tube that being a TGP'er I should note the gear I was using. SOOOOOO

The guitar is a Suhr Landau tele, I was on the broadcaster pickup for the whole show. I was plugged into a Matchless Clubman with the volume about 3 both pre and master. I used an OCD for some fat and kicked it with an RC booster for the solo's.

Its funny the difference didfferent sound systems procuce to your tone.. I noticed a big ( I think good) difference in my sound there as opposed to what I get usually. That guitar tends to be a bit dark and the ocd can exacerbate that somewhat but in that location it came across as quite bright.. Not sure why.

The Monitors were turned up quite loud so I am thinking it must have been eq thru the pa that would account for the unexpected brightness?

Snoggin, I thought you were great, man- especially if that was your 8th live performance. You looked pretty damn comfortable up there.

I once saw some video of me playing at a party. I wasn't aware we were being filmed. I could not have been more kooked out. I was having a great time, but I looked like a tremendous moron.

I've always wanted to be more like Clapton playing crossroads with cream - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm3Er3F51cA
I love how subtle and controlled his facial expressions and movements are on stage, while his playing is incredibly expressive and filled with emotion. There is no affectation, no demonstrative tomfoolery. Derrick Trucks is very similar.

snoggin

Looks great.. Great tone too! What kind of camera did you shoot that with?

Thanks guys, it's a Sony HD camcorder.. Not the top of the line I forget the model nomenclature and my wife has it so I cant go look.

It really does a lot for video uploaded to You tube .. You need a certain minimum of computer memory and graphics card though I discoverd.. On a lower end machine the Hd playback can be glitchy

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
Great sound and very nice playing! I used to be a statue onstage, but now I probably move way too much. Here is me, singing & playing guitar. It's an original song but don't even ask about the type of music. :rolleyes:

Trending Topics