My beef with pedals that are "designed to use with a cranked amp"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soma89, Feb 15, 2020.

1. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

If you run it after a buffer it does! Haha.

I swore them off for years because I bought one and put it after my TU-2 and it sounded horrible. I didn’t think much of it. It’s called a “treble booster”. I figured it just wasn’t for me.

It sat in a box for 15 years until I read something about input impedance one day and tried again. Revelation.

I suspect many people have similar experiences if they’re uneducated about impedance interactions.

2. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I'm thankful for a.of the thoughtful input we receive here on Ye Olde GearePage......

I didn't see any whining. Just a guy who wanted to have a discussion. We're all here on something called a "discussion forum".

One of us has missed the point. I hope it's not me!

3. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

My uncle takes some pills for them "impedance problems".

Kevsonic, Tiny Montgomery and soma89 like this.
  4. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i dunno.
    i think that there must be an 18-wheeler’s worth of drive-pedal-choices that might fulfill your requirements, no matter how i look at this “problem”, eh?

AceBSpankin and soma89 like this.
  5. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

6. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

Run your OD of choice into an “amp in a box” pedals and then you have a simple solution. TBH, a good “amp in a box” sort of pedal is usually all you need to get a much more “amp-like” distortion sound. I was using a CB Formula 55 for a long time, and loved it. Moved on b/c it didn’t jibe with my new amp.

The ODs of the past may have been “designed” to deliver a stand-alone dirt sound into a clean amp, but that doesn’t mean that they were successful, or that you (or anyone) would or should necessarily like how it sounds that way.

7. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

I get your point about people making some crazy claims about how pedals were “designed” to be used. I remember someone on here saying the Boss Metal Zone was designed to be run into a cranked Marshall with the gain all the way down as a sort of pre-EQ, not-clean boost. And then after Ola’s video of the Metal Zone run as a preamp dropped, it was designed to run into the effects return of a tube amp. Just because you found a good sound in a pedal doesn’t mean you found the secret use the pedal was designed around. Though I get that the stock Metal Zone sounds pretty nasty when used as intended.

Rob Eddy and soma89 like this.
  8. StratMatt77

StratMatt77 Member

If you bought the correct amp, you don't need any overdrive pedal. Though I like to kick them on for soloing (Angus Young didn't use them and his solos sound good).

jb4674 and sonofspy like this.
  9. s3gle

s3gle Member

If you ask me, the dude who designed Tubescreamer thought he built a standalone replacement for amps and cabs for going direct. This may also be why skipping the amp pre's and going to the power section with some opamps and diodes persists, like the MetalZone. I also don't really see DS-1 & etc as anything but SS & compact format upgrades to the ageing Maestrotone Fuzz wars of the '60's. I see your point if I understand it correctly, though, that so many pedals have too much dB output and not enough signal manipulation to justify their use with cranked amps and speaker breakup :messedup

Yeah, just play the amp outright because that's where all the genius is, no personality! :eeks Has to be like the most commonest Pedals & Things solution posted, ever

ProfRhino likes this.
  10. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I think overdrive evolution basically went something like this:

1. Amps had to be turned up to their extreme volume to be loud enough to keep up with more demand and larger crowds for rock and roll.
    2. Guitarists and observers like what happened when the amp was that loud, but it was impractical to do that always.
    3. Boosts and then Overdrive pedals were developed to give that cranked sound at a lower volume.
    4. But wait a minute .. Artists then began cranking their amp AND using an overdrive pedal. That's cool too!
    5. Newer higher gain overdrive pedals were developed to give that new level of gain at a lower volume.
    6. Repeat until we get to today.

How something is supposed to be used is pretty much unimportant, unless someone is complaining that they can't get it to sound a certain way because they aren't using it the way that'll make it work for that. However, I have no beef with comments like, "The pedal was design to be used like this", because there may be truth in that. So what?

FbIsNotE and Average Joe like this.
  11. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

There's a whole school of thought that people shouldn't be sitting on couches in the first place anyway. :dunno

12. soma89

soma89 Member

Easy there, Satriani.

Junco Partner, HoneyNut, NAME and 2 others like this.
  13. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

IIRC, that's actually the truth, kinda.
    well, minus the DI part. :dunno
    Those pink hybrid IBZ amps came out around the same time as the 808, and IBZ were pretty open about the fact that the OD channel was exactly that - a tube screamer ! :idea
    they made a killing with clever marketing of that extremely generic and derivative little circuit, up to this day ... :cool:
    lol,
    Rhino

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

bill from klon wanted to make sure that people who purchased his pedal were using it as he intended. so if you wanted a klon you called him and he essentially vetted you to make sure your needs matched up with the purpose of his pedal. sounds pretentious but it certainly made one understand if the pedal would make sense for them.

if you have a beef with the way some builders promote using their overdrives then move on to one of the million other options from builders who claim otherwise. if you need a pedal to provide the gain when the amp cannot, then take heart knowing you live in an age where a shitton of valid options exists. there is no shorted of builders that build their boxes for bedrooms and closet stages. nor are the attenuators that can bring your rig down to less than a watt for cranked amp tones at a whisper.

MaxTwang and soma89 like this.
  15. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Love my Lovepedal Eternity Burst for its treble booster!

fiveightandten likes this.
  16. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Or you could just use a 1 Watt Cream Machine for the cranked Marshall sound.
    [​IMG]

sanhozay likes this.
  17. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

So true. Amateur meant "Garage Band". That was before software. It meant your band practiced in a garage.
    I don't remember people buying expensive gear for the bedroom corner.

robyogi likes this.
  18. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Bedroom gear does not equal gigging gear. "Most" OD pedals sound crappy at low volume. There are some OD/Dist pedals that sound decent/good/great at bedroom volumes. Suhr Eclipse excels at both IMO.

19. JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19 Member

I think older designs work best. Look into Colorsound Powerboosters/Overdrivers (Tru-Fi Colordriver), Univox Uni-Drives (Danelectro Breakdown), and Dallas Rangemasters (Catalinbread Naga Viper).

20. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

IMO it's an excuse for pedals that don't sound good. Cranked amps sound good naturally. Maybe even bad pedals sounds good through them because you're already getting all the technical things that make tube amps sound good cranked.

A good pedal doesn't "need" a cranked amp.

darkbluemurder, pete692 and soma89 like this.