my beginner guitar/pickup question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by boiler up, Sep 20, 2006.

1. boiler up

boiler up Member

i started playin electric about 8 months ago after playing acoustic for a while before that. i have an epiphone sg special (my first cheap electric) and i'm ready to either move on or upgrade.

i really like the sound of the '57 humbuckers and was wondering if it is possible to run them in the sg special bdcause it only has the one volume and one tone knob. i tried searching for a write up or instructions but could only find them for a 4 knob setup. i would love to step up and get another complete guitar all together, but i don't really have the money for that right now.

any other suggestions for pickups or ideas? i'm open to anything.

2. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I would try hooking up the 57 exactly the same as the original pickup, you should be fine, but make sure to follow the directions in the pickup manual for series wiring.

3. laflamme

laflamme Member

Absolutely, I actually like the one tone one volume thing better. While you are replacing the pickups I suggest replacing the pots and the switch with some CTS (usa) parts. It should only cost you about 25.00 more for the parts that is.

4. boiler up

boiler up Member

which parts do you reccomend?

5. Junior

2 CTS audio taper 500K pots

.022 MFD Sprague Orange Drop capacitor

Switchcraft toggle switch - you'll need the L shaped one for an SG.

2 Speed knobs (the knobs you have won't fit the USA pots)

You can get all this stuff from AllParts, or any well stocked shop.