My Big Muff (interesting pics).....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, Oct 28, 2005.

1. somedude

somedude Member

Bought it used for ~$102USD.....

After playing it for a bit I noticed that it wasn't as agressive as all the other Muff's I've tried. It had a much smoother tone to it and didn't mush out as much on palm mutes, so I bought it, brought it home, and opened it up.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Can you post a larger version of that last pic? So the circuit values are more clear?

3. somedude

somedude Member

Haha! I knew that one was coming.

Yeah, I'll post a link to a large one....just give me some time.

4. somedude

somedude Member

Thanks for the link.

So....is this one of those transitional Muffs that're basically VerII circuits in a VerIII box?

I don't suppose you have pics of the top half of the cct?

5. somedude

somedude Member

Also, what kind of box is that? I notice that it seems to have no power input?

And is that an on/off switch? Or a Tone Bypass switch?

6. basscracker

basscracker Guest

your is VER 1:cool:

pics maybe later
    yeah no AC,i think its tone bypass:confused:

7. somedude

somedude Member

Any particular reason you believe that?

I was starting to figure that it was a modified VerII inside a VerIII box (the one Ron Neely calls the VerII.V)....

8. basscracker

basscracker Guest

Version 1: The famous "triangle knob" version, so called because of the triangular arrangement of the knobs (Figure 1). The model number at this time was EH-3003

its just the wrong graphic,right PCB.EH might have done alot of 60's Fender type production where they would use up old stock later on.or someone switched enclosures at some point.

VER II would have been EH 3034
    VER III EH 1322

9. somedude

somedude Member

that's what a friend of mine thinks.

That's what I think.

Apperently, the previous owner used to buy broken effects, repair them, and keep them for use in his studio. I guess the studio owner was clearing out a bunch of old stuff and decided to stick this up for consignment.

I figured that maybe he rehoused the original cct in a newer box for some reason (such as the old one being damaged).

My friend figures that EHX probably had the PCB lying around and decided to throw it in a newer housing.

I have a EH-1322 Little Big Muff that was sold by the same guy, and it has some pretty shoddy repair soldering in it.....

10. The EH Man

The EH Man Supporting Member

That's a version 2 Big Muff w/ version 3 graphics. I call it "Version 2.5". The circuit board isn't like the version 1 Big Muffs at all. Definitely a Ver. 2 board since it's:
    a) way big
    b) has an on/off switch

You can't judge EH stuff just by the model #. THey switched around so much it's ridiculous. On Big Muffs I group them by the circuit board.

11. somedude

somedude Member

Thanks for the info.

Regardless of what model it is, it's definatly cool....by far my favorite Muff. Though now that I know it's not a ver1 I think I'll try to find a boutique clone of one, just to see what the diff is.

I don't suppose you have any ver1 cct board pics, do you?

12. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

I have a Big Muff Pi I bought in early '74. I assume it's a version 1, since it has the control knobs in the triangular configuration.