My biggest pet peeve as a guitar player

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pastafarian, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I have been a working cover band musician for many years. I am a bit obsessive when it comes to emulating different sound and tones in cover songs. I don't try to sound exactly like the guitarist in a song or obsess over note for note solos and such, but if a song has a certain effect (especially delay) or type of gain/clean I do obsess over getting effects and gain right. I think it enhances the experience not only for myself but for the punters and such.

My big pet peeve is other players who dont even try to get in the ballpark of how the guitar sounds for specific songs. For instance using a dual rec with maxed out gain to play stuff like Bad Company and ACDC or not using any delay in a song that prominently features it. I have had to be in bands with players like that and drove me nuts. Especially when someone just uses cranked distortion for everything.

Everyone has pet peeves and this being TGP I'm sure some will chime in with "My pet peeve is tone nazi's who think everyone should be like them" but feel free to share your honest pet peeves.

TDJMB, moore_for_less, BADHAK and 2 others like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

It's even worse with bass players IME.
    If the song has a punchy bass-line, you'll likely just hear mushy thump from the cover-band bass.

3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

yup totally agree.

uab9253 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Calebz

Calebz Member

5. CacoDaemon

CacoDaemon Member

It's more fun to play it my way than to be a human karaoke machine.

seward, SimAlex, james evans and 22 others like this.
  6. Ajax77799

Ajax77799 Member

Guys who play pentatonic minor over major chord progressions

7. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

My pet peeve is dead space between songs and watching the dance floor empty. If your obsessiveness is causing this i have a problem. If not, have fun.

8. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

My pet peeve about guitarists is amply demonstrated in the Billie Eilish thread. Tolerance guys, it's a good thing.

9. AlanH

AlanH Member

As long as the hook is correct 99.9% don't give a rat's. No protracted pauses between songs and playing as a tight unit would be the best things to aim for.

Surgeon, cratz2, Guitar Stu and 5 others like this.
  10. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Maxed out Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers? For a 70’s covers band? What kind of venues do y’all play?

SimAlex, ericdoug, saltbird and 4 others like this.
  11. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

No delay on a U2 song. :mad:

walkthewalk, s2y, Nevets and 2 others like this.
  12. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Some guys use the same sound for every tune. If you're doing originals, that makes it your own sound and it's okay. If you're playing covers, IMO that's just plain lazy and it's not OK.

Of course, for a bar band most of the audience wouldn't know the difference - they only listen to the vocals. But there are sometimes non-musicians who do notice. These are the ones who come up and say, "Wow, you make it sound just like the record!"

moore_for_less and Pastafarian like this.
  13. 8len8

8len8 Member

I kinda feel the same way, but then there are those who play interpretations of songs. I’ve heard many good covers of songs done by bands from a different genre that sounded great (like a metal version of a classic rock song). The problem with some bands is that you just don’t know whether they are aiming to play the song “as is”, versus building off of it.

14. JoeBatadatz

JoeBatadatz Member

Not quite. But I love it when my competition falls short....opens more doors for me. Try that approach.

Pastafarian likes this.
  15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Realize too, it is also your bias to nail the tone and sound. It may seem righteous but it all is subjective.

And I’m saying this as a guitarist that works like you do often. I try to get close to the tone, sound of tunes as original. But it depends also on the song. We play some covers like the original recording (though even there have had instances where someone was using a different version, say a live version that the band itself decided to not play exactly like the original) and then inmost often want to nail the sound, effects if any, etc.

Some we play note for note and try to nail, others it isn’t so important, or we change the song a good deal.

Two things struck me at some point. First was listening to Govt Mule covers, where Warren and the band did this, where the covers were really great BUT other than maybe pickup selection, use of wah, or effect sometimes, Warren mainly still had HIS tone and sound. Sometimes playing note for note, sometimes altering a little, sometimes doing something else. It worked. But this is a band where all the members were at least making conscious decisions instead of just ignoring the original.
    The second was on hearing some bands where the guitarist did nail each tone, going from say copping Hendrix, to SRV, then Steely Dan (often Larry Coryell), to bad company, and realizing that it felt like I was just hearing a mimic, I didn’t feel the guitarist for who THEY were. Hard to explain, but Govt mule and Warren made me appreciate the nod to the original, but it was always Warren using variations on his tone, would not have been improved for me if he had a modeler pedalboard to hit to nail the original tones.
    When Hendrix covered songs, it was always as Hendrix, not as a mimic of the exact sound, whether cover of his own songs or someone else’s.
    May just be me, but an evening listening to a guitar that changes drastically to match the original feels “false” in a way.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good point. I’d way rather just hear “wow, that sounded great, I really got into it” as the other feels like less of a compliment. “You duplicated what I heard someone else do really well!” kind of.

Yer Blues, Losov, yfeefy and 2 others like this.
  17. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Member

Would you even know it's a U2 song without delay? :hide

18. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I'll somewhat try to get in the ball park but it's only when it can be done with something simple like turning on a chorus/phase shifter pedal or something.

My point of reference for a lot of our song choices is to listen to a live version of it and preferably a non doctored up version recorded with a cell phone.

There are a lot of times a recorded crunch guitar sound is often reproduced live with a dimed gain Mesa Boogie.

To be honest there are often times I prefer my own tone on certain songs we play over the original.

19. Parlorman

Parlorman Silver Supporting Member

I get the OP’s beef if you’re a tribute band or a cover band trying to emulate the original sound, but I don’t have a problem with bands doing their own take on songs they’re covering. Most of my gigs are acoustic so my arrangements of tunes usually sound NOTHING like the originals.

Yer Blues, Losov, jnovac1 and 3 others like this.
  20. Joe.Schultheiss

Joe.Schultheiss Member

I think an important part to it is how good the tone is in general, whether its a recto maxed out or a plexi. And also how well the guitarist uses it. Of course the one with tons of gain has less of a chance of sounding great, but depends how the guy uses it. One of my pet peeves is bad tone and a guitarist using it to cover up their lack of playing ability. Consequently, the increase in gain or bad settings makes the bad playing more noticeable if anything.

SimAlex and Pastafarian like this.