My biggest pet peeve as a guitar player

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pastafarian, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I think the most important part is making sure the entire band is cohesive in their performance and overall sound and can do the covers "justice" (LOL, let's not get TOO serious here!).
    I think ROI is a relevant question from many vantage points including time to learn, time to tweak the tones, investment in the appropriate gear, how long will it take me to get from patch #1 to patch#2 with all appropriate tonal changes, mid-song or mid-set, etc...
    Personally, I think a lot of these things from a well seasoned gigging musician becomes simple common sense after a while.
    I played in a two guitar outfit for a while and every so often one of us would dig slightly deeper to really nail a certain part or tone/effect of a particular song and it was cool. Healthy competition. Hell, I probably got the gig because I learned the three separate guitar parts in King's of Leon "Sex on Fire" and at audition simply asked the current guitarist which part he wanted to play the most...

I also worked with another band with two guitarists and the other guy seemed to REALLY spend time dialing close to album tones/FX.
    He was a really nice guy and definitely devoted way more time and effort to learning the parts and dialing the tones then I did; the problem was he simply wasn't good enough to perform the parts at tempo, cleanly and correctly in a live band setting.
    Take The Killer's "Mr. Brightside". That has a really cool and interesting intro part, I think in band #1 mentioned above the guy actually tuned down one string to make it easier to play?

In band #2 the guy learned it and dialed in a really close tone, albeit super bright and nasty sounding on his Zoom G5. But every single time it came to rehearse the tune super flubbed... as in, hold on, let me start over, etc... Guess what? I'm not letting you do that **** at a freaking gig!
    Same thing with Message in a Bottle; I just do a simple dotted 1/8th delay with some chorus. It sounds loud, clear and works perfectly.
    This guy had the compression, amp model, flanging, everything totally dialed in. BUT, he couldn't play it to speed and definitely couldn't sing over top of it!
    I've been playing that riff for 30 years, I'm not gonna NOT play that **** the right way.

So, performance of the part is crucial. Perfect exemplary matching tones, distant second IMHO.
    And "dimed Dual Rec" on every part of every cover (unless you are doing super heavy stuff 100%) is just ****** and inappropriate tone which is the mark of inexperience or just not talented (or just deaf).

Marc Roy and makeitstop like this.
  2. muzishun

muzishun Member

But we are ignoring the fact that many N4N performances are not really so perfect.

The exact same notes as the original can and do sound completely different, even unrecognizable.

You gotta dig a little deeper than the tab. I think many don't even listen to the songs they cover. And it sounds like ass.

3. Less Paule

Less Paule Member

The audience for cover bands consists mostly of non-players. They don't have the ear for N4N solos, but they do have a barometer for overall tone and signature riffs. Only another player would take the time to critique another player for not nailing a solo note for note. Hell, they're the only ones that would KNOW a solo that well.

Ballpark tones and recognizable solo bits are enough....as long as everything is played well.

Lucidology and makeitstop like this.
  4. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

I had a recent experience subbing in on a female singer's cover-band gig (didn't know anyone, go there on a recommendation). First song was When Will I Be Loved... other guitarist hits the initial chord with big fuzzy guitar tone complete with flanger. Then Midnight at the Oasis... same thing, just mush trying to push the vocals out of the midrange the singer was supposed to be owning. A week or so later the same band was playing nearby with their regular guitar player. He has the exact same tone from the exact same rig and together it was 15 minutes (all I could take) of "BZHHHH..."

When you pick a song to cover, there was some mood that caught your attention and that's what you should be going for. Lots & lots of musicians out there trying to draw attention and make themselves look cool (with no thought to the overall output). Pros go out and try to make the songs seem cool.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  5. rolandk

rolandk Member

WOT but I was just watching this yesterday and it’s really interesting.

6. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

I don't read tabs (could never get the hang of it) and can't read music, so I have to learn everything by ear.

By the time I've gone through a song a dozen or so times, it's pretty much burned into my brain.

7. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

I just want to hear the music done well... don't care if its done "correctly".

Gig Young and Lucidology like this.
  8. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

That is how I look at it... I got inspired to play guitar so I try to fit what I like to do in the context of the covers. At the gigs I play it works fine. If I was in a tribute band then I would try to get it exact. Most of the stuff I've learned more for more I've never played in bands.

9. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I know it's not a cover, but I saw this as a kid and recorded it in vhs.... To me it shows how rock guitar can fit in poppier (cover) songs.

10. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

If I see a cover band and the songs don't sound remotely like the originals, I usually tune the band out quickly. However, if they are tight and sound like the originals, I will listen intently and enjoy the show. It is a cover, and unless you are someone who can run wild and put your own sonic stamp on it, it should sound as close to the original as you can make it. I appreciate it when a cover band nails it.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Member

Really hard to believe that's a serious question, but... bands are paid based on sales they generate for the place that hires them.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

senior moment...I meant Carlton.

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I’ve made some points about cover.
    Govt Mule covers lots of songs, and do it great but Warren sounds like Warren throughout,

as I and others mentioned most bands cover their own material, changing it sometimes drastically.

Then too, all this talk about nailing a guitar solo (in my case I try in songs I think want it, or to give a nod by certain phrases, or change it...depends on the song and what we are doing with it) but nobody is mentioning that many bands don’t have all the components to make it like the original. ABB had two drummers and two guitarists. Some bands use orchestra, some use organ and piano and if your keyboardist has one keyboard, gotta pick on or the other....symphony orchestras, some use lots of musicians on stage, so a four piece band is gonna have to do something different.

in the end if you care you do the best you can to make the song good, and work, and some songs that means as close as you can get, or do something different.

Bluzeboy likes this.
  14. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

my pet peeve - not a guitar thing actually - it's karaoke singers trying to sing with the live band...they have zero feel for the groove the band is in, and can't figure out what to do if a chord change doesn't happen at the exact place as the karaoke version of the song. No understanding of the music either usually.

We had a karaoke guy sing with us for awhile...he really had no idea what we were doing sometimes. This is when playing a cover exactly like the original helps.

The band adjusts on the fly all the time - we could usually adjust quickly to the singer but he couldn't adjust to us...drove me nuts.

We're on to another former karaoke singer now...great voice but no feel for live playing. We'll see where it goes

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

"Who's that Lady" - Isly Brothers?
    Would you use that effect for only one song out of a whole set list ...? :)

16. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

My last band was a bar band. We played mostly covers, but I would hesitate to call it a cover band, because we had a style, and people came out to see us, not to see us play certain songs the way they liked.

Lucidology likes this.
  17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

And you likely sounded good, had parts that fit together, controlled the tones and arrangements.
    It's those who streamline songs into whatever they can hack through that are are the weak links.
    Even mediocre technique can be focused and arranged into a useable form but it takes firm basics, some care, skill and effort to do that, too.

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Totally agree and
    I heard a great tribute Allman brothers band do many different variations on the songs, not all just note for note and they killed! Everyone in the place seemed very into it. So even Tribute bands...can play the style but don’t have to only do it like the recording.

19. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

Strat players who only use positions 2 and 4. And Strat players who never use positions 2 and 4.

20. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Thats pretty good actually. Considering he's playing a LP it's not too gainy, but I hate the cheesy chorus slathered over everything.