My Boost Causes a Drop in Volume???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by telepunk, Jan 26, 2012.

1. telepunk

telepunk Member

I need some help solving a weird problemÂ…

I have a SHO clone boost made by T1M (Mini Solo Boost). Up until now I have always placed it after my drives and after my EP Booster, which is always on at a low level on 18 volts. So, the chain was:

Blackstone Mosfet OD > Cusack Screamer > Ep Booster > Mini Solo > Tu2 > VP Jr > Timeline > Tap-A-Whirl > RV5

In this configuration it worked as expected. It would provide a clean boost in volume for my drive section.

I thought I would try putting the Mini solo Boost in front of my Cusack Screamer to see what it sounded like. I was thinking I could goose the screamer with the boost and, in essence, create a second gain stage for the screamer.

So, the new chain ended up as:

Blackstone Mosfet OD > Mini Solo > Cusack Screamer > Ep Booster > Tu2 > VP Jr > Timeline > Tap-A-Whirl > RV5

When I did this and kicked in the boost with the screamer on, there was a DROP in volume. And, as I turned the boost UP the volume continued to drop lower and lower.

What gives?

2. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

Output impedance issues maybe? I think SHO's have huge output impedance levels. When I had a SHO, I always put it at the end of the chain for the added sparkly treble.

3. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The order of a clean boost and a dirt (OD or dist) pedal determines what the clean boost will do.

A clean boost into a distortion pedal will add more distortion. That is because the distortion pedal is already clipping, and will just clip more when you hit it harder. That's also why a small amp cranked up (or a Marshall on 10) does not get louder when you hit it with a louder signal, it's already out of headroom so it can only distort more. That is how a lot of us used the EH LPB1 back in the day, to overdrive the amp.

A Clean boost AFTER a dirt pedal WILL increase the volume, without adding more distortion.

So put it where it will do what you want (or get two, one for more dist and one for more volume!)

4. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Member

me too.

5. telepunk

telepunk Member

Thanks guys. So, Mike, if I understand correctly, the SHO clone is causing the screamer to clip harder and therefore dropping the perceived volume as I turn it up?

6. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

7. telepunk

telepunk Member

Dan - thanks man! Love the booster too btw.