My brand new OD100 SH/SE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by countandduke, Jun 30, 2006.

1. countandduke

countandduke Member

Ahhhhhhhh, the sweet joy of seeing the brown package on by back doorstep. I had an OD100 before and traded it to a fellow TGPer, I am WAY excited to have another OD100. But probably even more excited to now have the SH mod AND the SE mod. I played it for about 15 minutes today and I am sooooooooooo glad to have this amp!!! Clean channel is to die for, overdrive SE channel is downright scary. Depth and feedback knob work wonderfully. Truly a scary scary amp. I will be experimenting with preamp tubes over the next few months but wow!!! What a great freakin amp!!! Tons of tones in that sucker!!!

Chris

2. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

My first CAA amp is on its way. An OD-100/SH/SE. I'm psyched about this new direction and expect it will be an awesome compliment to my Rambler and Supreme 16. I'm eager for this one to arrive... just in time for a double header next weekend. My band is very part time. We play out infrequently because we have no desire to get back on the club circuit, but as fate would have it we have two private gigs next Saturday. What a great way to break in my new amp! :D

3. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

Suhr makes a truly amazing amp.

I have been gigging and recording with one for 18 months now and it is by far the best high gain switcher IMHO.

Matt

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I have been enjoying a new Suhr OD100 Classic Plus for the past three days. It is awesome! I like my OD100SE with whomp for many things but I can't see playing it much after getting this.This is tighter and sweeter and smoother/not as saturated. The Classic Plus may be my favorite amp ever,time will tell . Takes pedals great and has a good amount of gain on tap just as it is. It is the most fun I have had with an amp since getting my Cauble OmniTone 60 which is very cool as well. Suhr is making great stuff and wait till the latest and final incarnation of the Badger hits the street. That amp is a blast to play and super versatile. Enjoy!!!

5. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Fill me in. Has John changed the OD100. I knew the 50 watt version was a litle different. I knew they had the one named after Scot and the regular OD100. What is up? I like saturated.

6. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I Think these are the current offerings. All contain the same clean channel now.

OD100 Standard
    OD100 SE (Gain Monster) Whomp switch option a must!
    OD100 Classic
    OD100 Classic plus
    OD50

7. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

That's a loaded question.

The amazing thing about John is that he will tweak the OD exactly how you want it.

There are many custom/one off versions out there.

I still prefer the Standard. Why mess with perfection?

Matt

8. m3g

m3g Member

what is the OD100 Classic Plus?

9. LOCUSTFIST

LOCUSTFIST Member

the classic plus has a little more gain in the lead channel from the classic. the clean channel is the same. the classic didn't need help but the extra gain is there now if you want/need it.

10. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    Two questions: can this be done to the 50 watt version (maybe the Scott H version is already along those lines)... and; how loud do you have to be to get really good tone from these? Thanks.

11. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    Thanks John.

12. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Does the Classic+ come with the whomp switch or does it not need it?

13. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

So if I want the OD100 with tons of gain and saturation I probably would want the good ol od100 Scott model.

14. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Keith, I'm a CAA newbie, but it sounds like you want the SE mod on Ch 2. The SH mod is on Ch 1. Perhaps you want both the SE and SH mods. Also, where in NC are you?

15. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

What exactly is the SH mod?
    S.
    j

16. countandduke

countandduke Member

Less gain and warmer on Channel 1 only. The SH mod does not affect Channel 2. From what I understand, all new OD100's have the SH mod built-in.

Chris

17. TNJ

Thanks,
    What speakers work best with this amp? And will two G12H65's work with a 100W amp head?
    S.
    j

18. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm in eastern NC a small town called Washington near Greenville. I want the amp with the most gain on tap; however, the classic pluss sound of "less compressed" as John characterized it may be what I'd like. I've long been of the opinion that the OD100 and Supreme Overdrive are the two best amps made today. I do also like the Top Hat Empl. boosted gain tone but am not crazy about any of the amp's other tones. I've decided to one day go ahead and spend the 2K pluss to get a great amp. The before mentioned two are on the top of the list.

19. countandduke

countandduke Member

Well, Scott Henderson would probably tell you Greenbacks. I have played mine through a 5150 and a Marshall 30th Anniversary. Both sound incredibly good with the OD100. It's actually pretty scary how good the OD100 sounds. I bought my first OD100 (standard) traded it to Devbro for his Overdrive Supreme and then sold that to a fellow TGP'er and bought another OD100 but this time got the SH/SE mod. The SE mod is great, TONS of gain even on my single coils......

Good luck, I really can't say enough good things about these amps.

Chris

20. TNJ

My thing is I really need alot of clean headroom...for single coils or humbuckers. The great overdrive tones are just gravy on the potato.
    Will greenbacks (in a 212 cab) actually give me loud cleans (medium club gig) with my LP or PRS Custom 24?
    S.
    j