..My broken stack of Lava Ultramafics, and recommendations for better cables please?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MarkWorth, Aug 12, 2016.

1. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

I make my own with Switchcraft plugs and Canare GS-4 and GS-6 cables w/zero failures. Good enough for tone wizards like Trey Anastasio, good enough for me.

MarkWorth likes this.
  2. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

I have had the cables that @jnepo1 built me for years now. I gig constantly and I fiddle with my board/pedals a lot and they've never failed. I think he's still doing them. Shoot him a PM. His prices are great, his turn-around time is great, and he's just a great dude. Can't recommend him enough.

MarkWorth likes this.
  3. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

That's perfect. Do you use Redco for purchase as well? I'd need to find a place to buy all the parts, etc.

Where do you get yours? I'd love to look at canare as well..just need an idea of where to buy from..

All other ideas are welcome/awesome! Thank you everyone for the ideas so far. Going to dig into each one of them.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I use lava and bill Lawrence solderless. Both have failed here and there over the years. But the failure rate wasn't much different than all my other cables, including my mogami instrument cables

5. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

I order everything from Markertek.
    GS-4
    GS-6
    plugs

6. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

I build all of my cables, but this site was brought up in another current thread. It's calling into question the sanity of spending my time on this when they're so reasonably priced, and they'll build in any length - from 5" to 30" in 1" increments. On top of that, they have a promotion going on at the moment.

http://www.covenantcables.com/

Cheers,
    Thom

7. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I have yet to find a better cable - at ANY price - than besttronics/BTPA. Lower capacitance than Mogami or Canare, half the price, EXCELLENT customer service and an outstanding warranty.

RGB likes this.
  8. galibier_un

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  9. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Recently redid my entire board with evidence sis, and so for so good. Easy to build after you get the hang of it. I actually tried to make one fail by pulling very hard and such, but it held up. Not saying their indestructible but the GL's would not have survived.

That said, I still think soldered is the way to go if you are willing to get good at it. Much cheaper and you have complete control over the entire process.

MarkWorth likes this.
  10. Mark Milliron

Mark Milliron Supporting Member

I haven't had any issues with pre-made Mogami pancake patch cables that I bought on Amazon.

MarkWorth and Otto Tune like this.
  11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I had a roll of 50' of George L's cable and pretty bad experiences with the longevity of my home-builds. So I've moved on to soldering GLS pancake ends on the George L's. I use one or two layers of shrink wrap as strain relieve and they've been rock solid so far...

MarkWorth likes this.
  12. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

I don't understand why pedalboard cables fail. My experience is that any cable fails at the connector/solder joint, not in the middle unless it's run over.
    Since pedalboard cables don't move like Roger Daltrey on a hand mic, I wonder why they fail?

13. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

Been using 2x15' Monster cables for 15+ years no problems. Got a 15' George L cable I built with plugs cut off some Hosa patches and that's been going for 12+ years. Just got a coily Lava cable and I like it. I hope it holds up as well as the Monsters and George Ls.

14. erksin

erksin Member

I really like the Divine Noise cables.

15. galibier_un

It has to be either bad termination or bad strain relief. I build up the thickness of the 2319 cable with a small (3/4") piece of heat shrink, so the pancake connector bites into it and actually performs its function. I'm really curious about BTPA's house brand wire as well.

BTW, I've been surfing more deeply into the BTPA site, and they do some very cool stuff. To get an idea of their professionalism, take a look at some of their pedalboard implementations (under Rig Building --> Pedalboard Building).

Also, I've been looking for a reasonably compact power strip to supplement my Cioks power supply ... this, for a Kingsley pedal I've been eyeing (9V/500mA). They have a nice Furman strip available which provides room for wall wart spacing, along with adjustable brackets to keep them from rattling loose. Check under Touring Essentials --> Furman. Very cool!

... Thom

16. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Properly cut and installed I've never had any issues with GeorgeLs on my decently sized pedalboard with lots of gigs and jams on it. All pedals are secured down, and a switcher manages the changes so hat probably cuts down on flex related shorts.

17. crev71

crev71 Member

Covenant Cables. So good. They'll solder them for you and only charge parts and labor. BTPA, Mogami, Canare cables and you'll pay $5-9 per cable instead of $13-15 for boutique solderless ones. Awesome dude. Email them and they'll get you squared away!

MarkWorth likes this.
  18. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Evidence Audio Monorail/SIS

hippieboy likes this.
  19. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

Perfect! I will check them out as well..

Wow. Looks great!

So many great options here. Thank you all so much for your help. This has been incredible to me. Since I haven't gotten a reply yet from 2 emails sent to LAVA, I'm most certainly trying a solution here. But let's make this about how many great options are listed here in this thread. This has been awesome!!

20. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Sorry you haven't heard back. Please send me the cables and we can send new soldered replacements. Sales@lavacable.com thanks.