My brother's girlfriend destroyed his/my guitar.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Wigging Izzout, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Wigging Izzout

Wigging Izzout Supporting Member

I adored my Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE for years, but after getting a couple other higher-end guitars, I decided to give my brother an amazing deal to make sure the guitar was in good hands.

That was a couple months ago and this is it today. Yes, it was on purpose. Not sure how one would fix this, but I'm assuming the cost would be close to/more than the guitar is worth.

The real beauty in the guitar is the ease of play/crazy low action with no buzz, so I actually think it could have been worse.

Any way to fix this on my own? I know a cheapo job isn't gonna bring it back to 100% in the sound/sustain dept. but at this point would just like to get it back to a solid guitar.

2. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Silver Supporting Member

I've fixed worse girlfriend (not mine) inflicted intentional damage than that. Don't lose any of the wood pieces!

Rod likes this.
  3. Wigging Izzout

Can anyone give me the quick version of how to even approach this? Never dealt with acoustic damage before.

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

Find and protect the missing wood pieces. Structuarally the guitars outer rim seems to be intact. So you can just glue it back together with some wood glue. Glue up the first piece and let it dry then glue in the next piece. See if you can clamp it some how, (dry before you put glue on it). You need to get the wood pieces in close to their original position as possible. Remember, you need to put check the location of the pieces of wood from many different angles. I would think rubber bands and a book on top might do the trick. You are going to be left with a couple of glue lines on the surface. I would just leave it like that. You could strip the finish off the top but it would cost too much.

The guitar could also be left alone and played like it is. Check out Willie Neslons guitar for reference.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Wigging Izzout likes this.
  5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Your bro needs a new GF.

RG7X, Blanket Jackson, C-4 and 6 others like this.
  6. larry1096

larry1096 Member

INTENTIONAL damage? I think she'd be learning how expensive a professional repair to a guitar is, but that's just me....

Larry

7. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

∆∆∆∆∆ ... This or adios.

larry1096 and RicOkc like this.
  8. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

That's awesome! What'd he do?!

9. Fishermike

Fishermike Member

10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

Reminds me of the infamous Taylor LIAR guitar. A bunch of members of the Taylor Guitar Forum were touring the plant and came across this guitar in the repair room:

[​IMG]

Apparently this was a parting gesture. Taylor was able to repair it so that it looked like new. I do believe it got a new top, though.

Bob

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i wouldn't if you cared about the guitar.

it's a thousand times harder to fix a guitar that's been glued together wrong than to fix it the first time. a pro fix might a couple hundred dollars if you wanted it to be solid again as opposed to looking new, not too bad.

+1 to trying to retrieve every little scrap and splinter, and +1 to somebody needs to get sent the bill.

12. Fernando Vidal

Fernando Vidal Member

13. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Member

See? There are times when it becomes evident censorship can only do harm. There was only one word to describe her and it can't be used. It's the internets. Set us free.

Also, tell him to dump the bitch. Someone who can go down to such depths is not the mother of your kids, it's not the person you want to have the last word when they ask her is they should unplug the respirator either. I could come up with more examples but it should be clear what needs be done.

Tommyd8 likes this.
  14. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

I had a few el kabong girl friends.
    Thankfully my good stuff was in storage at my moms place.
    After that they want to make up.
    I seem to always find one. Lol

15. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Supporting Member

if you really want to deal with her in a way that will dial some of the crazy out of her then get repair and replacement estimates and file a case against her in small claims court. Run her through the system. Make her spend money on a defense attorney.

C-4 likes this.
  16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

See:
    'Before He Cheats'

StratMatt77 likes this.
  17. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Was the title a typo? It says girlfriend not exgirlfriend?

18. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

There's got to be someone in Las Vegas that can handle that repair. At this point, it's not about the money. It's about the redemption of the guitar and a story to be told.

19. Wigging Izzout

“Is not the mother of your kids..”

Well, that’s where you’re wrong and where this isn’t as easy as “just dump her.” You can see my adorable niece’s little chubby feet if you look close there next to the damage. It’s a tough situation, to say the least.

20. Wigging Izzout

I’m kinda regretting even letting it go and may offer to buy it back from him at a discounted price. Though it’s his only decent guitar and he too loved it.

Whether he or I end up with it, neither of us are “mint-condish” fans and wouldn’t mind it merely looking damaged/repaired.

In fact, I absolutely love Willy’s “Trigger” and Glen Hansard’s “Horse” - and the stories they tell. If I’m satisfied with the sound as is, what can I expect re: leaving the damage and future contracting/expanding of wood?