My Brown Deluxe is a fire breathing monster!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by russ, Sep 10, 2008.

1. russ

russ Supporting Member

I have owned this amp for 20 years. Every note sustains,feeds-back etc... It's like a little Marshall!
    1 problem: I have to turn this amp at least to 5 to get it to rip. At some clubs this is too loud, and I have to turn the amp below '5', and well, it is no fun!
    Just think, a 20 watt amp is too loud for clubs. I don't know how some of you use 50-100 watt amps.

I have a Zinky Blue Velvet 25 and well it works, but it ain't it!
    Can you recommend a 2x 6v6 amp with a master vol. that MIGHT sound as good as my Deluxe?
    Thanks

2. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

What speaker is in the Deluxe?

Throw a piece of plexiglass in front of it or an amp cover to block the loudness.

3. russ

russ Supporting Member

It's the original (reconed) Blue Jensen.

Most of the clubs I play, there hardly any room for much other than my feet! I usually am standing right in front of it!

4. edgewound

Thats the beauty of a piece of plexiglass. You can lay it across the front of the amp to cover part or all of the front of the speaker.

Have Home Depot/Lowes cut you a peice about 12"x12"x1/4". Try it...it might be a cheap solution to using your favorite amp.

5. russ

russ Supporting Member

I probably have a piece in my garage.
    How close to the grill cloth would you put it?
    I usually have the amp up on a chair. i guess i could lean the plexiglass, so it is about 8" out(away) on the bottom of the amp, and the top would be leaning against the amp, just below the controls.
    Do you think this would help?
    Edgewound...thanks!

6. edgewound

Yeah that would work. I've done it that way. It's just a matter of finding the right spot to block the onslaught coming straight out of the speaker and diffuse it around some. It can help to mike the amp just a tad to get you through the PA, but it sounds like you're in some pretty small rooms that wouldn't matter anyway. You can move it side to side to get the right balance.

Oh...and you're welcome....hope it works for you.

7. LHakim

LHakim Member

How about a Marshall Studio 15? Nice master volume circuit, two 6V6's and it is a Marshall so you're in the ballpark for vintage Marshall tones.

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Russ: What jensen do you have in yours? Just curious...I have a 62 Deluxe that I just love and you're right, they are bit like a Marshall! The original speaker in mine (an Oxford) was long gone when I got it and I have been thinking of trying a Jensen in it but just haven't yet.

Anyway, I have never has another amp that sounded anything like this deluxe that wasn't just as loud or louder but let me ask...have you thought about using dirt boxes to help?? My Deluxe takes quite nicely to both a King of Tone, a Box of Rock and a Pro co rat among others...that might be the ticket for you!

Also, the plexi glass shield can offer a LOT of control over stage volume and even a Hot Plate coudl help as well...

9. russ

russ Supporting Member

Hey Wingwalker, I'm not much of a dirt box kind o' guy. Which is why I love the deluxe. It's not dirty, just alot a gain.
    The speaker isthe original (reconed) Blue Jensen.

10. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

Why don't you try an attenuator? It will change the tone a little, but if your amp sounds this good it will still probably sound better than getting an completely different amp. Besides, a MV amp is probably going to have a different sound/feel than your amp up on 5. Just a thought.

11. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

try a Victoria Regal II--you can play it with 2 6V6 tubes or just one if you want it to really get cooking at lower volume levels. It is a true class A amp so the volume levels it puts out tend to be much lower than a typical class AB amp. For example, my Regal loaded with 2 5881s is not nearly as loud as my tweed Super with 2 5881s.

I was playing the Regal w/one 6V6 with my SG the other day and it's rock city at very reasonable volume levels, no pedals needed!

12. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Get an Ultimate/Ho attenuator. They are very very transparent and you will have total control over your stage volume.

13. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

I just got a Zinky Blue Velvet offered--what don't you like about it?

14. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Look into a Weber Mass 150. I use one for my Brownface Princeton and it kills on low levels, so I'm figuring a Brown Deluxe should growl nicely too.

15. Greentone

Greentone Member

I don't mean to speak for the original poster, but a Blue Velvet just isn't a Brown Deluxe. Its a great amp, but it is a completely different flavor than a Deluxe.

16. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

+1 on that. I always used one with my '62 Deluxe and it made all the difference in the world. If I still had the amp today (still kicking myself for selling it), I'd probably throw my TS-808 in front of it, which is what I do with my '67 Princeton Reverb. SWEET. :bow

17. russ

russ Supporting Member

Like Greentone said, they're just not the same. The deluxe is big, wide, and very sensitive. When using the Zinky w/ the master vol,it is way more compressed, and the dirt is more like a fizz on top of the note.
    My technique is completely different when using the deluxe.
    So, is there a recently made amp(1x12 combo) that sounds like my deluxe?
    Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments so far.

18. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

The first realization is that your amp is very unique.
    It has it's own special mojo that you'd be hard pressed to find in another amp, even a Brown Deluxe.

A Princeton Reverb is the obvious choice for a lower watt amp, but few sound like what you describe, although most get a great rock distortion when pushed.

A Marshall 18-watt (EL84) amp is another alternative, but you really have to listen to them. Each model (and the boutique variants) have their own tone.

Whatever you do, don't sell your Brown Deluxe (i.e. to buy another amp)!!!

People search high and low for a special tone, and by luck or chance you've stumbled across it!

BTW
    Is the secret to the 6G3 Brown Deluxe the fact that it doesn't have reverb, which gives it more gain that the Deluxe Reverb (AB763)?
    It's somewhat like a Bassman with Tremolo.

19. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Just have Shad Damron (Quinnamps) build you a copy of the amp we put together, the "Down Brownie". Mine has a PPIV Master Volume as well as a defeatable loop. It is tweaked for a little more grind and the master is the best I have ever experienced. It is an incredible little amp, especially with a little clean boost. I will never part with it as it is the ultimate Brown Deluxe.

Mike

Mike

20. russ

russ Supporting Member

You're right, this amp is unique, and I don't want to blow it up, or change any electronic components inside to make it more relialble. I think I had the caps changed about 15 years ago, and I've had the speaker reconed.
    I have a Princeton Reverb. It's nothing like this brown deluxe