My BUdda SD30 2x12 II / SD18 II 1x12 Experience at GC!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Junk Yard Dog, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

OK...Took my USA strat with a duncan C-5 in the bridge and Van Zandt Rock pups in the neck and mid to GC over the weekend and spent at least an hour with both. Went back today, same setup, but brought my Keeley SD-1 and again spent an hour A/B'ing both amps.

I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT DECIDE IF I WANT THE 18 or the 30 watt!!!??? They both sound great, but have very subtle differences that you do hear.

I like the options on the 30 like the 16ohm switch in addition to the 4 and 8.

Power: first off, these amps are louder than you would think. DO NOT let the lower wattage fool you. I am now VERY SURE I don't need the 45. 9oclock on both amps is pretty loud.

Clean: Love it! I rarely ever use a dead clean, and I always back off my volume on my guitar for a very sweet clean anyway, so this works perfectly for me. Hell, on the dirty channel with drive halfway I can STILL get a good decent half-grit clean.

Dirty: Love it! Gain at about 9oclock gives me a great SOn Volt tone, to die for...I like the Mid pulled out better...It pumps seems to add more volume and give a more modern tone. WIth the mid pushed in, the seems to get more "tame," but it loses a bit of volume as well, or at least at the master volumes I was playing.

Easily coax some dirt Ala GNR, AFD and UYI's, but not the exact sound, just that hard rock, bluesy, dirty nasty rock tone.
    I was looking for Alice in Chains, and fear not...I had to used my SD-1 to add a little tightness to it, and it was MEAN AS HELL!!!!

The dirt overall has a little sag to it, like most will tell you.

I really cannot believe how responsive the eq is...It's the first amp I've played on where I've noticed that taking on frequency away can increase another, but in a good way. Takes some getting used to.

Those who worry about thump, don't worry too much. THe single 12" 18 watt "seemed" to have more b/c the enclosuer was smaller and driving one speaker. THe 30 has it, you just have to push a little harder if using a 2x12. I'm sure you'll "feel" it more with a 4x12 or with another 2x12 that's designed well like a Port City Wave!

Overall, the amps had such a sublte difference in gain. THe 30 seems almost dirtier, slighty harder in the gain, almost over the top gain. The 18 seemed more refined, tighter, but still as tasty and meaner when pushed with or without the boost.

THIS AMP TAKES my Kelley SD-1 VERY WELL! In both channels. Amazingly, I could hear the difference of the boost more with the Budda than with my DSL.

Now, can anyone help me deciding which to get??? I want the head, and GC said they'd let me walk out with either until they get a head in on special order, which could be weeks or months! Theys babies aren't in stock anywhere in online.

I also jammed on my Voodoo Deluxe DSL over the weekend, and I'm still very impressed with my sound and overall fee. Played with my buddy who has a stock DSL, and the VOoodoo mods just wipe the floor with a stock, or his at least...And we both have new tubes.

SO I'm not sure I want to sell the DSL just yet, but I'm getting the Budda either way!

Budda Dudes, chime in here...Interested in your thougths!

I'd write more, but my nephew is ready to play.

THanks!

JYD

2. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

3. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

Unless you feel like at any moment18 watts wont be enough compared to the 30 watts, save your money and get the 18 :)

4. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

The 18 has always sounded better to me. YMMV.

5. mach5

mach5 Member

Is there a big difference in volume when you switch channels or does it blend well?

6. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

You simply have to adjust the Rhythm volume to match the drive. I'm not sure why people talk about not being able to match volumes. There are controls on the amp for that. So ya you can match volumes.

7. betterdays

betterdays Member

8. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

1) I'm curious if I could to get the reasons for why you guys would select the 18 instead??

2) S.A.M. is right. All you have to do is turn up the rhythm volume to match the drive...I guess some people worry about break up as you turn it up, but I did not experience that problem.

9. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i will go and try the 18
    I have an 80 and it is one step above the "FREAKING LOUD" words.

Are you talking to me? sorry, are you talking to me? what, what??

10. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I've never tried the 30 but I would go with the 18 just because its cheaper to retube. And I find with my drive at 2:00 I still only need my Rhythm at about 9:00. BUT then again, I don't think I've played it yet with proper working tubes :BITCH

11. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

The 18 is still insanely loud for its rating.

12. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I really did not notice a major differnce in volume, but I didn't get it past 9 oclock either.

To me, the 18 seemed a little more "refined" and controllable in the gain department. The 30 seemd to have more gain, but it also seemed more aggressive, and less controllable in the gain.

I'll put it to you this way, you could dime the gain on the 18 and it seemed to handle the load.

Dime the gain on the 30, and it was almost too much gain for the amp to handle on its own...Although it nevers sounded bad at all!!!

So, again, since I'm going for the head, I'm partial to the 30 b/c I like the option of having slightly more power if I'm not mic'd, and I like the 16ohm switch, but the 18 sounds just as sweet and almost as loud.

I think the difference in the perception of "thump" will only be noticed if you comparing combos. A 2x12 isn't going to thump as much as a 1x12 OPEN BACK if you comparing the 18 and 30 at the same volume dial range. You almost have to push the 30 harder to get thump, but then, your pushing more sound out of the back of the cab, which if it was closed, it would thump as much or a lot more than the 1x12 combo for the 18.

That's just what I think.

13. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I have the 30 watts 2x12 combo the 30 head with a 2x12 cab, the 18 head and the 80 head.

I like better the 18 watts tone but the 30 is very close.

I like better the tone of the cab than the combo, it has more bass.

The 80 is a great amp, with a different voice that is also beautiful.

So far I think the best is the 18 watts head in terms of cost and tone.

Good luck, the 30 is also awsome...

14. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

So I got the "Dirty 30"...I can always return within 45 days if need be, which is great.

15. CincinnatiSi

CincinnatiSi Member

I'm looking at the 18, but the GC around here doesn't carry them.
    For me, its between the Mesa Lonestar Classic and the Budda.

16. Voodoo Amps

Voodoo Amps Member

I also jammed on my Voodoo Deluxe DSL over the weekend, and I'm still very impressed with my sound and overall fee. Played with my buddy who has a stock DSL, and the VOoodoo mods just wipe the floor with a stock, or his at least...And we both have new tubes.

Glad to hear you are happy with your tone and thanks for the kind words!

Have a great day! :)
    Trace

17. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

is this the same thread?

Hi Trace!!!!:crazyguy

18. freaksho

freaksho Member

ok, i just played the SD45 again tonight (still within my 45 day return period - will send it back this weekend) to quadruple check that the volume balance complaints i've lodged here are valid. they are. so maybe the 45 is very different than the others.

i finally noted the knob positions to describe my issues. here's what i found:

1. the cleans start breaking up with rhythm knob at about 10-11 oclock.
    2. the rhythm knob position must be higher than the drive knob position for their volumes to be balanced, by one or two clicks.
    3. considering 1 & 2, you can't have real cleans at balanced volumes if you have your drive knob set at 10 oclock or higher.

19. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Really? hmmm.... Maybe you should call Budda. Thats completely backwards of my 18. My amp is still pretty clean at with the Rhythm at 10:00 and the master at 10:00 with high output humbuckers. And to match volumes I need my drive over noon.

20. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Same way with my SDII 18-watt combo, tho I've never had the master above 8:00. I do plan to get the mod put in sometime before summer.