My Cary Audio SLI-80 has an issue

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by steve sanderson, Jun 9, 2019.

1. steve sanderson

steve sanderson Silver Supporting Member

Hope someone can give me a hand. The left channel is on the fritz. With the volume turned all the way up there is only a whisper of sound from it. I swapped the power tubes to see if that was the issue and also checked the fuses but to no avail. Any idea what might be going on? I would also like to find an audio repair shop here in SW FL if anyone can steer me towards one. Thanks, Steve

2. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

I'm assuming you've done ALL the easy stuff besides what you have listed above. You've tube tested, swapped or replaced the 6922's and 6SN7's? Additionally, you have verified all connections and cables are good? You wouldn't believe how many times it turns out to be something simple.

Lastly, you've called Cary at 919-355-0010?

3. steve sanderson

Thanks, took care of all of the above. Waiting to hear back from Cary. Steve

4. CheckSix

ok, I had one 2Kohm 5W power resistor go out in the triode heater circuit in one channel of my 2A3 SET amp once. Took me an hour or so to figure it out by doing left to right channel resistance and voltage measurements. Do you know how to do diagnostics like that?

5. steve sanderson

I'm afraid that's above my pay grade, probably end up taking it to a HiFi shop in Naples that is well recommended. Like your avatar, Steve

6. johntoste

johntoste Member

Definitely contact Cary first. They may be able to walk you through a quick fix.
    A channel went down in my SLI-80 the other night. Rookie mistake, I didn't check the fuse first. After much screaming and crying, I came to my senses and changed the fuse.
    I realize that you've already been through the obvious, but I wanted to say that anyone can miss something. I sold tubed amps for twelve years.
    Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

7. CheckSix

What did Cary have to say?

8. steve sanderson

Cary said to check the bias which I will check tomorrow. They also said to check the balance switch. Oddly enough that was the first thing I checked after swapping the fuses from side to side.