My cheapo SX strat with maple neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rotren, May 16, 2008.

1. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I bought this cheapo SX SST62 strat copy from Rondo music last year. I couldn't get along with the neck. Recently, a friend of mine wanted to trade his maple fretboard SX neck with mine, which has a rosewood fretboard.

I figured it wouldn't be much difference, but boy, was I wrong! This maple neck is fantastic! It's like an old vintage Fender neck. It was taken off the SST57 while my guitar is a different model, SST62 I think. I say "think" because it came in a combo pack with a practice amp and other stuff, and I suspect this guitar is slightly different (crappier quality) than the SX strat copies they sell separately.

I installed Fender Custom Shop '54 pickups in it - it now sounds better than my Fender Deluxe Players strat.

Here is a pic from last night's jam

[​IMG]

2. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

nice. I just saw a used sx at a local music store for $79. it played better than some of the $1000 Fenders on the wall.

btw, what is that semi-hollow behind you? is that a hag or an agile?

3. codeorama

codeorama Member

I didn't even notice any guitars in the pic...

4. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

exactly. I too was distracted by the stylish eyeglasses of the blond guy on the left:banana

5. rotren

rotren Member

That's my vocalist, Myra! I'll tell her about the distraction effect she caused in this thread... ;) :nono

That guitar is a Hagstrom Viking. Really nice one. I almost bought, but my pal Dean grabbed it before I could!

Thanks, Guitar Tone! Great to hear you are enjoying my videos! I plan on doing some more guitar and pedal demos soon. Examples of the tones I get from certain combinations. Hopefully interesting for someone. :)

6. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I didn't know Jennifer Aniston sang in a band... Your sure this isn't John Mayer's group..

7. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Member

Exactly ... what guitar?

But now that the photo has scrolled up ....

I have the SX Strat 'burst with the R/W neck. And other than the fretboard stain coming off on my fingers the first few times, it plays great!

Love it so much I just yesterday received the SX Tele 'burst with the Maple neck. A quick look over last night seemed pretty good. more details to come.

The most important question though is - what is a trumpet player doing at a jam? ;-)

8. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

I just got a powder blue sst-57 last week, and all I can say is wow. Other than cheap feeling tuners and a not so great nut, I was really impressed. I love the neck, beefy, big frets but still smooth and fast. I'm going to upgrade the tuners - GF sells a locking tuner for pretty low cost, and a new nut. Maybe saddles , haven't decided on those yet. I originally planned on swapping pickups, but I actually like the stock ones - will really like them once I put the bridge pickup on the tone control.

Really, no lie, through the dirty channel of my classic 30 I'm getting passable SRV tones. Easily the furthest $100.00 ever banked me on an instrument.

I've been wanting a Tele Deluxe - I'm thinking for a fun summer project an STL tele copy and routing the pickup cavity and switch - making two- one dual hums and one dual p-90's.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Hi Rob-

You are a bargain-hunter that I can admire!
    I may not have as much cool junk as you but I am still accumulating it, despite contrary effort.
    Try an Epi dot if you haven't, already.

10. rotren

rotren Member

I have cool junk? Hehe, well that is cool to hear!

This SST 57 neck is certainly no junk. It's a really sweet neck. I am still shaking my head at how the guitar can cost only a hundred bucks. The neck is worth more than that, in my opinion.