My clean tone is clipping, what to do?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by DistortionPedalHQ, Mar 24, 2015.

1. DistortionPedalHQ

DistortionPedalHQ Member

Ok, here we go, I may not know the technical terms for what I'm experiencing, so help me out here!

Running a full pedalboard of effects into a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. The problem I'm experiencing is that when several effects are active, like a delay, reverb and synth pedal that sustains the notes, the amp begins to clip and distort. And I'm only at 2 on the volume knob.

The sound is a bit like when you hear orchestral music on movies playing through a tiny tv speaker, with deep bass harmonics, and it just flattens out the cone.

Is headroom the issue? And how do I best solve that?

Thinking to start by upgrading the stock tubes and re-bias the amp. Does that sound right? And what else can I do to have my big washes of clean sound not clip?

Thanks in advance!

Wes

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Do you have another amp to try this with? I'm not convinced that this is an amp issue.

3. wyatt

wyatt Member

How to do you the clipping is happening in the effects. Many effects can be pushed to clip.

Otherwise, new tubes and biasing may not help. If the effects are riving a stage to clip, it's probably in the preamp.

4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Not enough info, list you chain from your guitars pickup to amp input.

5. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Could be that the signal is hitting the preamp too hot - can you turn down the level in the effects chain (for example, at the last device before the amp)? Have you ruled out that none of the fx units are clipping (i.e., you have the same issue even if removing each of the fx units from the chain)?

6. DistortionPedalHQ

DistortionPedalHQ Member

I typically have any output of a pedal, if it has this feature, set to about noon to 3 o'clock. Definitely no more than 70% of output capacity.

7. DistortionPedalHQ

DistortionPedalHQ Member

Playing a Fender Jag with single coil pickups. It runs through many effects, whose outputs are set to noon or 3 o'oclock at most, then into Input 2 of the Vibrato side.

Here's a link to a pic of my pedalboard (too many to list here!).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vv2bmp926ip64p/my_board.jpg?dl=0

8. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Try the #2 input jack instead of #1. Or, go getcha a used Twin Reverb or a Showman.

9. DistortionPedalHQ

DistortionPedalHQ Member

It could be. But as I've replied to several others on here, I'm pretty good about not having the outputs of my effects in the chain past 3 o'clock -if it has that pot.

It again is when I have these huge washes of reverb+delayed sounds. I can just hear it flattening out.

10. zenas

zenas Member

I know it's a foreign concept to even think about it but what happens when you take a cord and go from the guitar to the amp.

Does the amp have plenty of volume before clipping then ? If not the amps the problem or more likely has a problem.
    If the amp is fine start trying one pedal at a time.

11. DistortionPedalHQ

DistortionPedalHQ Member

Yep, hear ya. Amp is good, even when running super hot output distortion pedals. Crisp and punchy. It's just the wall of sound I've been creating lately with reverb/synth/delay pedals all combined.

I think it's then that I can have, perhaps, cascading bass harmonics flattening out the sound. It could be that I'm just overwhelming Input #2 on the Vibrato side. But pedal output wise, compared to the Distortion pedals I'm running, the reverb/synth/delay pedals are tame.

12. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Could just be too much bass yep. I've had that issue with a few amps. Though most of the time, I am on a pickup setting or effects setting that cut the bass, some of the clean stuff just left really untamed low low bass, especially with a sub-octave on. Now I use a compressor pedal that cuts lows. Used to use an EQ.

13. DistortionPedalHQ

DistortionPedalHQ Member

So perhaps, aside from increasing the headroom with some good new tubes, is to perhaps throw a compressor/limiter and or EQ on the tail end of the effects chain before I go to the input of the amp.

14. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

You should do it at least for testing. EQ is better. My response was rambling sorry.

15. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Start with taking pedals out of the chain, one by one, and see if there's one of them causing it.

16. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

That's why amps have effects loops. You have too much running into the preamp

17. DistortionPedalHQ

DistortionPedalHQ Member

Fortunately or unfortunately, this is a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. No effects loop built in. But I'm glad to learn of a consistent lead here - which is that the preamp is overloaded - even though the settings on my pedalboard are moderate.

Now, how to minimize overload.

Any pedal recommendations that handle this? Or that meter the output?

18. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Using the #2 input will give you 6dB of attenuation...

19. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Yes, use the #2 input! Works well with pedals

(maybe the third times a charm?) :)

20. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

A 20w Deluxe RVB with an open back may not be the best choice to reproduce synth bass sounds. A low output setting on the vol knob probably isn' t helping.

I'd suggest trying your effects individually and then in limited combinations to see how the amp handles things.And how the effects work together and effect each other...