My Confession/thoughts

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guitarnut1122, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Guitarnut1122

Guitarnut1122 Member

So I write this today to tell my story of a gear addiction over the past three years. Some of my opinions may offend you, but that is not my intention. I hope that young guitarists who are considering spending allot of time and money on equipment will heed my warnings and not make the same mistakes that I have.
    My first real guitars were a fender mim strat, a classic player fender jaguar and a ibanez RG, all of which, were very nice and affordable. At a certain point in life I had the money to buy a PRS custom 24 and I sold all three to help fund the investment. That was the first time I recall obsessing over gear. I wanted that guitar so bad it was all I could think about. I had the very unreal expectation that if I could just get this guitar, that my playing ability and my musical standing would greatly improve.
    I got the guitar ($3000 later) and was thrilled.Was it the nicest guitar I had ever played? No, but it was the nicest guitar I have ever owned. Problems started occurring... I became scared to even play the thing. It cost more than my car at the time! I was so worried about dropping it or scratching it that I would often prefer not play it. Then I started worrying about people stealing it, so I got a insurance policy on it. I really missed my cheaper guitars because I could beat them up and leave them laying around the house and not worry about it. It only got worse from there.
    Over those three years I owned at least 4 amps, over 25 pedals and 5 guitars. I invested enough money into gear to put a down payment on a house. The more stuff I got the more I wanted and the more I searched for the next best thing. I found myself spending more time watching gear demos on youtube, than actually playing music. I don't even want to know how much time I wasted of my life in front of the computer screen. I made the decision recently to sell most of my expensive music stuff and am refining my taste to appreciate lower cost equipment again.
    I've really come to realize how the guitar market is just like all the other corporate bull ****. It's all about branding. The name and the names association with success. These companies try to make you believe that if you don't own their product you aren't professional. Like your a lesser musician because you don't have their $300 wah pedal. They match their products image to a well know endorser who raves about the product "this $1000 tube tape delay is the staple of my lead guitar sound" its all just a big scam to make you cough up hundreds of dollars to try to reach the sound of your idols.
    I've really come to notice that the average (Non-musician)listener, cant tell the difference between a $200 guitar and a $2000 guitar. So why buy the more expensive product? I mean there is no doubt in certain situations the $2000 product is allot higher quality, but are we as musicians really willing to pay $1800 more for maybe only a slight difference. Maybe that extra quality will help you approach your playing differently, but again is it a $1800 difference? I really think that a Mim strat is just as nice as an american made custom shop and its a HELL of a allot cheaper. Its like owning a honda or a BMW. Both will get you from A to B, but the BMW says more about you in terms of social status.
    There is allot of cases that if you were blind folded and A/B a product, you probably couldn't tell which one was which. I know for me that is the case. I guess to wrap all this rambling up I think musicians right not should be focusing their efforts toward playing. When you finally get out of the basement (or garage) and are making some cash then invest in some LUXURY products. Until that day comes for me I'm more than happy with my MIM fenders. Spend your money on something else and don't give into this rampant surge of corporate monsters.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. PaulHudgins

PaulHudgins Member

No offense, but it sounds like you are blaming your own buying compulsion on everyone but yourself. Second, MIM strats are produced by a large corporation, far bigger than that of PRS or a boutique pedal builder.At least you ultimately learned the lesson, play more and worry less about what gear you are playing. Guitars and amps are tools to make music if you are worried about the brand name more than the end result of playing, your focused on the wrong thing.

3. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

Paragraphs will make everything better.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

This.

5. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

summary:
    I dig inexpensive guitars.

And speaking of....the Peavey JF-1, which you can find for $299

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Paragraphs are your friend.

That's the trap many people fall into and not only with guitars. The same is true in golf, fishing and many other hobbies. If they just get XYZ everything will be perfect.

That's what happens when you have a "trophy wife" guitar.

A gear purge is another common reaction to GAS.

7. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

For me, being able to occasionally buy a pretty thing makes all the hours of work and other BS worthwhile. I get GAS for a new thing and buy it, without remorse and enjoy having it.

The problem comes when you start buying things that affect your ability to live, pay bills or eat. You should always have the money in hand and stay away from credit.

I recently purchased a 30K$ strat. Its not my only guitar and I dont play it everyday. I certainly dont feel it makes be a better guitar player and no amount of marketing or cork sniffing will convince me otherwise. It does make the ladies swoon however, and that is what it is really all about in the end.

~JH

8. jujube

jujube Member

I really don't think you have GAS. So quit worrying and enjoy what you have. :)

9. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I take a certain pride in making my modest gear sound really good.

Admittedly I dont have money for high end gear, but I beleive if I won the lottery, Id still shop based on sound, not price.

10. Mr Analog

Mr Analog Member

Sounds like it was a mistake to buy a brand new PRS when you couldn't afford to take the financial hit of a lower resale price. If you also bought most of your other gear brand new and resold at a loss then, yeah, I can see why you're feeling pretty upset right now.

If you had resold all your gear for close to what you paid, this would have been a fun and educational -- if somewhat time-wasting -- learning experience. You could have tried out a bunch of gear, realized that a $3K guitar and a board full of pedals were only getting in your way and gone back to your MIM guitars with no hard feelings.

Instead, you lost a lot of money in the process so you have all these negative feelings about it. My point is to think about resale value whenever you buy anything -- especially music gear. There's no way you can know ahead of time if any guitar, pedal or amp is going to be a keeper. If you always buy things with the assumption that you're going to sell them, you'll save a hell of a lot of money. You'll also end up buying mostly used gear, thereby taking advantage of other people's failure to heed this advice.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Same with me, although I'd end up buying a whole lot more stuff if I came into a lot more money.

12. OilsFan

OilsFan Member

You already bought it so why not keep it and play it. There is no shame in having a good instrument. I believe everyone would do good to buy at least one very well made top flight instrument in their life.

I have neighbors who have motocross as a hobby. Lets see, two MX bikes plus an ATV, need a trailer, car is too small for trailer, need a new truck, need outfits, need safety gear, need race upgrades for the bikes, need travel expenses, need gas and oil and on and on. Now go look up how many people do that every weekend. Your guitar stuff is small change.

13. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

I have bought a lot (I mean, a lot) of gear over the last 35 years and I never once did it with the idea that it would make me play better, or make my life better, or solve any of my problems....I bought it cause I like playing it and I like having a variety of sounds at my disposal (P90 guitar, humbucker guitar, single coil guitar, Gretsch guitar, mandolin, banjo, folk guitar, etc...).....I know I am going off topic, but I also never got the idea of buying certain gear because someone (ex. Jimmy Page) played it....there already is a Jimmy Page, why would I want to be him? He is always going to be better at being him than I am, might as well be me!

14. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

oh, but there is... maybe OP just sits around and butchers "Louie, Louie" all day.:spit

15. bob-i

bob-i Member

There's a solution...Shut up and play yer guitar

16. XKnight

XKnight Member

I couldn't get through more than the first few sentences. My advice to you is to break down your thoughts into written paragraphs. It will make you a better person.

17. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Paragraphs; make them your friends.

18. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I completely understand what you are saying and have no problem with it. In fact I think you have learned a perspective at a much younger age than most us including many who may never learn certain things about gear, quality and actual ability.

My gear is much better than I am and I too have obsessed and lusted over too much gear for far too long. Even with 11 quality guitars at this point I really could be happy with just one. And yes many of us also spend way too much time looking and lusting after gear instead of actually playing it. I'm as guilty as anyone.

Oh yeah, and paragraphs are your friend.:D

19. Mrmarshallhead

Mrmarshallhead Member

Paragraphs.

Capital letters for brand names.

'Allot' means to allocate, the term you were looking for was 'a lot'.

You're, not 'your' a lesser musician.

Sorry, I'm an undercover grammar policeman...

20. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

The OP came here feeling a bit depressed about blowing so much money on gear. I think it was brave of him to do that, so let's not give him a hard time about it.

It sounds like you've got your head on straight about this GAS issue. Keep on the straight and narrow, and keep your priorities in line. Good luck.