My cool JV Strat "upgrade"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by VaughnC, Jun 25, 2006.

1. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Being that my modern Strat of choice is the Jimmie Vaughan model, I recently decided to pick up a 2nd one for backup. I ordered this one in black and kinda thought it would look cool upgraded with a chrome pickguard & black plastic....so I thought I'd share a photo of my "upgrade" results:
    [​IMG]

2. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Let me guess - you've got it strapped to your amp while you jam so the wood will 'open up'?;)

Kidding..

Nice look, man. Kinda funny how you've been all over the map with Strats and the one that catches your ear is the Mexican Jimmy Vaughn. Not a bad way to go, financially!

Enjoy!:AOK

3. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Very cool! I've been looknig for a strat (I'm really not a strat guy) and the JV and the SRV are the only two I liked in the store. I like the chrome look Vaughn. Do you keep the Tex Mex pickups?

Another thought I was looking at was a leather pickguard, though it's a bit more 'waylon' :rotflmao

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Ever see Gatemouth Brown's firebird? There's some leather for ya!

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

Cool!
    What happened re the "thin skin" you were getting?

Best, Pete

6. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Looks fookin good:dude

Scored a used but immaculent sunburst JV, chaanged the thin pick guard with a 3 ply & aged the p/u covers & knobs (cheap n easy fun) Also replaced the neck p/u with a texas special (dunno why it get's a bad rap, they do sound pretty good)

7. VaughnC

Yup, after trying about every Strat style guitar out there, who ever woulda thunk it ;). Not that the JV is perfect mind you....but it seems to have the tone & feel that's most right for what I seek in a Strat. And the bonus is that they are well under $1k and one heck of a bang for the buck.

8. VaughnC

Yup, I like the SRV too but the JV is just a better fit. And, once I found the pickups height sweet spot, I see no real need to change the Tex Mex's. They don't have that overwound too muddy or underwound too glassy of a sound to my ears, so I'll probably leave them in both JV's unless I get in an experimental mood.

9. VaughnC

Played it for a month and, after many A/B session with my JV, I kept coming up with the same conclusion....my JV is just a better fit for me. Really surprised me too because I typically prefer a rosewood fingerboard. Just goes to show how important keeping an open mind is ;).

My "thin skin" Limited Edition AV62 Strat is now for sale in the emporium area.

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yep! My Strat materials are all over the place but the ones I have still, suit me. Doesn't make sense except to me!

I thought the pickguard on the above one was some kind of weird tortoiseshell; furniture reflection?

Best, Pete.

11. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I think that's my problem. I love the feel (and look) of a rosewood fingerboard, but the only one that really sounds right (without compromise) thus far is my 1961 Strat (and several others from the early 60s as well). I've a maple board mutt-caster that I took 600 grit sandpaper to and thinned the lacquer on the fingerboard to the point where it feels okay - I use that guitar A LOT. It has that fat ballsiness to its tone, and the feel (albeit not the look) of rosewood. Maybe I should stop trying to move the mountain and accept maple boards? I just LOVE the look and feel of rosewood, especially with a really green snot-guard...:confused:

peace,

jb

12. VaughnC

Yup, I can relate to what you are saying. I once owned an original '64 that was a real spoiler, and have yet to find a Strat that will do what it did. However, I do hear certain things in my JV Strats that remind me of the old '64 even though it had a rosewood fingerboard.

Strats can fool you sometimes though. If the right parts come together in one guitar, the results can be amazing. The best Strats I've played though were from the mid 60's and tended to have been well played.

13. VaughnC

Yeah, the chrome pickguard in the photo is reflecting a pot of flowers sitting on a coffee table. Photographing chrome is tricky....luckily the wife didn't just jump out of the shower as I snapped the photo ;).

14. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I think that thread has been started earlier with the PRS Brazilian...10 top.

Seriously though, nice mods. The JV is a real sweet deal, and there are more and more I am seeing that are resonant and really sing when fired up. Still working on the best pup selection though. I am probably going to go for an aged look to my olympic white version. I did see a real bad job on a nice JV burst. Black guard, red pup covers. Whew...a face only a mother could love...no good feng shui....

15. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Very nice . . . . I've seen some good tooled leather cases on the bay recently: that would make a fantastic complete matching set with that awesome looking amp.

16. VaughnC

Thanks...the amp head is a homebrew. I got the cab & chassis from Weber and married a Trainwreck style preamp with a traditional 6L6 Fender style power stage. It's a fun project and I'm still fine tuning it when I get the time. The speaker cab is a KJL Clubowner with one 12" & one 10" speaker in it.

17. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Exactly - well played and broken in with pickups aged and degaussed just right. I can't find any rhyme or reason as to why certain parts just seem to work. I'm back to the therory of resonant frequencies in certain pieces of wood. I've an American Standard mutt that has the maple board neck (not american standard neck) that's been sanded - great instrument. Based upon that I bought another American Standard in teal with matching headstock and rosewoo fingerboard that was fairly resonant. Alas it had a frozen trussrod. Genius me figures I'd swap out that neck with an SRV neck and I'd have a winner..... NOT! I can't make that guitar ring acoustically. It sounds as if it has dead strings immediately after a new set has been applied. Tried raising the action, adjusting the neck - nothing. It HAS all of the right parts, and doesn't sound bad when plugged in, but it doesn't have that ALIVE vibe I need, so I'm on to building another one. Maybe I'll try a Jimmy Vaughan Strat and add 6100 frets and a Callaham block....

Peace,

jb

18. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Oh man, that sounds like a killer amp! You have any clips of it?

JVs is fun, ain't they? :roll

19. VaughnC

Interesting story.

A few years ago I had a handful of Strats at one time and I decided to do an experiment to see what was the one most important tonal factor. Of course, when you get down to the nitty gritty it is a "sum of the parts" thing BUT I have found the neck to actually be more important than the body. In swapping necks and bodies around in my experiment, the best tone seemed to follow one particular neck....no matter which body it was attached to. Sure, the body made a difference but not as much as the neck did.

As far as the JV Strat goes, it already has medium jumbo frets and a steel tremblock.....so, IMO, these types of upgrades aren't really necessary. And it has to be the best modern Fender Strat neck I've laid my hands on. Nice & chunky, but not overdone. Wrapped my hand around her neck for the first time and she felt like an old girlfriend from the get-go ;).

20. VaughnC

No, I never got around to doing any clips of the amp. Maybe I'll do that once I'm done tweaking it. I'm thinking of putting an octal tube in the first preamp position just to see what happens.

Yup, the JV Strats sre great. I've tried a dozen or so of the Fender Custom Shop Strats (among others) and my JV sounds & plays better than every one I've had in my paws. I think a lot of players overlook the JV because it's Mexican and relatively inexpensive.