My Cousin Is Coming Over, He Plays Guitar . . .

Strat_lover

Silver Supporting Member
The old "ego and jealousy" chestnut again. Maybe lots of players just don't like that kind of playing because they don't find it very musical or they don't like that style.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't say people aren't allowed to enjoy the music from a listening standpoint. If thats the case, don't listen and move on. In fact, I didn't finish the video, because I got the point immediately.

I don't see any reason at all to disparage a fellow musician who has clearly devoted a lot of time and energy to the craft of guitar. There is no productive reason to. The only two reasons are to build yourself up, or tear the other down. Both of which are negative for each party.

And I'm speaking as someone who actively did so when I was younger. If I saw OP's vid ten years ago, I'd be getting my licks in too on the stupid emotionless shredder running scales. I might even link an Albert King video so you all can pat me on the back and accept me as part of the club. Meanwhile, all we are really doing is potentially sucking the joy out of playing for an obscenely talented individual.

Yer Blues

What a goofy thread this is.

"How come I've never heard of him?"

"Can he play a song?"

Pretty sure that drummer plays in a cover band around here. They are a good band and the singer seems like a nice guy based on the brief interactions I've had with him.

blong

Killer technique. I know some cats who can shred similar to this but can also play within the context of a song. I played in bands for years, haven't gigged in many, but know how to play within a band setting. Yet, I still love testing myself on learning techniques, and shred is one that has benefitted me when it comes to making a fast run in a solo. Yet, I rarely play any shred guitar when playing with others. I'm sure if I made a video like this others would poo-poo it as mindless nonsense, not knowing I can play within a band setting and know when to lay back and be tasteful. I was at a local shop and picked up an Yngwie strat and was playing two of my favorite shred tunes by him, Hiroshima Mon Amour and Far Beyond the Sun. I then went into a fast, mindless, fun shred lick and ended with a trem dive and slammed the volume off and laughed. 2 dudes who I have jammed with over the years had walked in and said, "Man, I never knew you could play like that. I've always heard you play blues rock. That's badass! What a surprise." I felt good. I love shred, and I love to play shred, but just because I can do some doesn't mean I don't have taste and feel when playing with others. So maybe this dude was just blowing a wad for fun. If he is in Autograph, as someone mentioned, he obviously can play as a musician, and not just a bedroom shredder. I find endless blues wanking on pentatonic, with poor technique far worse than this. I find it just as tasteless to poo-poo someone's technique or momentary indulgence in a hidden pleasure, or to assume that's all he's got, as many here seemed to find his video.

Dude has chops. I bet he can kick ass in a song setting, too. Although, I do know some wankers who can't play a chord or chord progression, or simply can't play in a band setting or know any songs. I see both sides, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and attempting to stay somewhat positive.

Bob

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
Sure you didn't. You're just tired of people who can play getting bagged on by people who can't (in this thread), and
No, sorry. I said "couldn't play like him" which you've now admitted, and so would I. Big difference in saying people can't play vs. saying they can't play like him. let's be honest, FEW can.
...and so forth. But sure...you never said that. Ok, man, whatever you say.
this was a joke and everyone else knew it.
This guy can play much faster than me, and more cleanly than I can. He's practiced to a degree of skill I haven't (and probably won't ever) reach.

I also don't like what he was doing in this video.

Those positions are in no way incompatible.
And one more time, I don't have an issue with someone saying "that's not my thing" or "I'm not into shredding" or anything like that. And I've been very clear on that. It's the "that's not music" "he has no musicality" and "that stuff is so boring" comments I take issue with. Like I said, I'm not a country guy but if some chicken picker is up there tearing it up, I'll say "that guy is a great guitar player" regardless of it's my style of music he's playing. My issue is with those that are bashing this guy, based on nothing but a clip and a clip of extreme technical skill.

It's funny, I haven't come close to reading every post now, but I've seen more than a couple guys say things like "guys who can't shred bash shredders" and other direct comments. Insulting the "3 chords and bad bends" guys. I haven't done that. I only said not to insult him, and that you don't have enough info make other judgements of his ability. And finally that nobody bashing him could play like he could. That's elite speed and precision. You don't have to like it. As weird as it is, you don't even have to appreciate it, but if you (whoever) bash on the guy, you're going to get some blowback. Again, much more direct comments have been made than mine. I'm just taking enough time to explain that I'm NOT bashing back. Saying you can't play like him is not an insult. You could be a fantastic guitar player and not be able to play like that. Heck, I'm fast. Maybe really fast, but I don't think I can go that fast and precise. That is BLAZING fast. And not cheating or taking the easy way to get more notes in. He's picking almost every note!

DrewJD82

We’re all on our own path and it’s certainly not up to me, or anyone else, to be the arbiter of one’s enjoyment/success/skill on an instrument. When I see the negative put-downs it tends to blur out and the words just say “Not someone you want to associate with”

I wonder if the same people who are making negative comments walk into a Baskin Robbins and say something negative about the flavors they don’t like before they order the one they do?

Such a weird thing, man.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
The speed and technique is mind blowing, yes, but the actual sound produced by all that speed and technique is horrendous and unlistenable. It doesn’t help either that the amplified sound is frequently drowned out by the unamplified sound of the guy’s brutal assault on those strings.
And, for all we know, this is just a warmup exercise that was video'd. Or maybe it really was a "hey, show me how fast you can rip and I'll video it."

So, horrendous seems unfair. Unlistenable is in the ear of the beerholder.

andrekp

Where can I get the tabs for this?
Best I could do. You can probably tab this out yourself:

72CD9482-1BD6-4F7B-941F-39F4B6B95812.jpeg

Strat_lover

Silver Supporting Member
We’re all on our own path and it’s certainly not up to me, or anyone else, to be the arbiter of one’s enjoyment/success/skill on an instrument. When I see the negative put-downs it tends to blur out and the words just say “Not someone you want to associate with”

I wonder if the same people who are making negative comments walk into a Baskin Robbins and say something negative about the flavors they don’t like before they order the one they do?

Such a weird thing, man.

Exactly the point I've been trying to make, well said. The issue isn't finding it boring/pedantic/etc., it's feeling the need to broadcast as such publicly in a derogatory way.

The dude is a guitar player. He's one of us. Why wouldn't we be nice to him?

andrekp

To be fair, guys, I think the point of the OP’s post was that here’s this family member, who one day out of the blue says he can play guitar, then spits this out to show it. (That’s how I took it anyway). That’s Spinal Tap funny.

This is very different than your cousin who plays guitar in a blues band coming over and doing this.

(not my thing, but impressive technique)

That aside, there is some good humor here, and I think everyone needs to be a little less soft-shelled on taking a joke tossed their way.

Ricky A

Pollock's true genius was not giving a fk what people thought.

Finally, someone who's almost as caustic as I am ;]

I love it.

Age old adages come to mind:

Everyone's a critic.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one and they usually stink.
That's a painting?...I thought it was the back of a seat cushion!

Ricky A

"Bagging on the musician", on the basis of a single 2 minute video that he himself probably didn't take very seriously, would be idiotic. The guy's had a long career as a professional recording artist and performer, and his chops are outlandish. But I do think the video/audio in the OP are the perfect stereotype of non-musical, spray-and-pray shred. (And, this being TGP, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the tone sucks LOL.)

There are plenty of videos of him playing far more impressively on YouTube, etc., for anyone who's curious.

That a much better representation..he actually comes up for air a few times!..dude can play

Trending Topics

Top Bottom