My Cousin Is Coming Over, He Plays Guitar . . .

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
:rolleyes:

His technique is great....but technique and musicality aren't on some mutually-opposed scale; there's space to develop both. Yes, what he's doing requires practice...I suppose that means there's nothing else to talk about, right?

It's like the guitar equivalent of skipping leg day, and ending up with a cut upper body and not much else. Doesn't mean work hasn't been put in, but people will notice and call it out. And it's ok if they think it looks/sounds off-putting.

Is that ok with you?
No, because you've heard 80 seconds of his playing so you have NO BASIS WHATSOEVER for the other judgements. You heard 80 seconds of shredding. This guy might be the greatest blues player since Hendrix, or the second coming of Holdsworth or whoever the best chicken picker in the world is, and might have the best sense of melody ever. You don't have a clue. Nor do I. For all we know, that might be nothing more than his warmup exercises!

That's what I hate about slagging posts. People hear barely one minute of virtuoso shedding and are immediately ready to say the guy can't do anything else and it's boring and all this other stuff.

If I hear a fantastic player of any instrument, I SAY SO whether I like that style of music or playing or not. People who couldn't come within a mile of playing like that slagging on them is lame! From later posts, apparently this guy has been around a long time, and come close a couple times to "making it big" so I'm pretty sure he's got a lot more in his bag than this. So, why the slag posts. Guys who slag on someone who can play like that, and with no other knowledge of what else he might be able to play, always come off to me like the guys in the bar watching an NFL game and bitching at the quarterback for overthrowing a 60 yard pass by about 6 inches, and yell at the coach for calling the wrong play... I guess it's a good thing that there is no "qualification" required before we criticize someone's playing.

And to be perfectly clear, I don't have an issue with anyone saying "that's not my thing" or whatever. But why are people so defensive that they immediately feel the need to imply he has no musicality? Hey, there are guys who we all know, who can't do anything but play really fast. They've been around for years, we've heard them often, and it's always "wow, look at how fast I can play" stuff. But so far only a couple people in this thread even know who this guy is (I didn't) yet post after post busting on his lack of musicality.

This is sad.

"Guitar is dead!" Yeah, and it's guitar players who have killed it.

I really enjoyed the clip. I'll never understand why so many guitar players automatically associate chops with a lack of musicality. It's like all of you boomers are so brain-dead from your 70s acid trips that you can't actually process more than 5 notes per measure. Of course this clip is just noodling, but I'm so sick of the 'shredders have no feel' attitude all over tgp.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
This is sad.

I really enjoyed the clip. I'll never understand why so many guitar players automatically associate chops with a lack of musicality. It's like all of you boomers are so brain-dead from your 70s acid trips that you can't actually process more than 5 notes per measure. Of course this clip is just noodling, but I'm so sick of the 'shredders have no feel' attitude all over tgp.
Why would you assume someone not liking something means they can’t process it?

WickedPenguin

No, because you've heard 80 seconds of his playing so you have NO BASIS WHATSOEVER for the other judgements.

As you point out, we have no basis for any judgements in any direction....and that includes the speculative suggestions you've made. That cuts both ways.

He might be an amazingly melodic or musical player in another context...but we have no way of knowing that either, and no reason to assume it. What we have are 80 seconds of playing, and people are rendering judgement on that 80 seconds of playing.

It shouldn't be necessary for everyone to preface all of their evaluations of what we were given by saying "based only on these 80 seconds of playing, and making no judgments either way on anything this person might or might not do outside of those 80 seconds...."; we're reacting to a video posted on a gear forum, not drafting law. Maybe it would make you feel better if you assumed everyone was reacting within the bounds of the above caveat....like I'm fairly certain everyone who replied did.

We were provided 80 seconds. Everyone is reacting to those 80 seconds. Unless you live in a world where everyone has to listen to everything anybody's ever played before having an aesthetic reaction to any of it, there's no problem here.

I mean...talk about defensive. What's your investment here? Is it really just that everyone didn't include enough limiting caveats to reassure you they're not unjustifably bagging on some guitarist that isn't you?

jrockbridge

This is sad.

What you need is more boomer bends and a hug…

Why would you assume someone not liking something means they can’t process it?
I made no such assumption, I said that's what it seems like.

If one listens with their ears open, there is a lot of melody in a lot of shred guitar. Satriani is my favorite example. Tell me with a straight face that this playing has no feel and no soul. He plays with his flipping teeth in this, yet his playing here is the most emotive playing I've ever heard.

What you need is more boomer bends and a hug…
I love boomer bends too. Gilmour is one of my 2 favorite players of all time, the other being Mark Tremonti. About half my play time is boomer bends on Floyd songs and other classic blues rock. But I also love shred guitar.

Heck, when country music comes on my ears start to cry and bleed. It's unlistenable to me. But I still respect the guitar playing talent in good country guitarists, even if their playing isn't my thing. So many people just dog pile on hating shredders and it makes me sad.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I made no such assumption, I said that's what it seems like.

If one listens with their ears open, there is a lot of melody in a lot of shred guitar. Satriani is my favorite example. Tell me with a straight face that this playing has no feel and no soul.

I never said anything about Satriani. Or even the guy in the OP beyond the clip. Are you saying all “shred” is the same? Because otherwise, I’m not sure how Satriani’s feel or soul are remotely relevant.

jrockbridge

I love boomer bends too. Gilmour is one of my 2 favorite players of all time, the other being Mark Tremonti. About half my play time is boomer bends on Floyd songs and other classic blues rock. But I also love shred guitar.

Heck, when country music comes on my ears start to cry and bleed. It's unlistenable to me. But I still respect the guitar playing talent in good country guitarists, even if their playing isn't my thing. So many people just dog pile on hating shredders and it makes me sad.
I like a little bit of everything. But, I’m not real keen on pinball licks.

aizenx

Where can I get the tabs for this?
1651779432838.png

MeHereNow

This is sad.

There it is again.. boomers.
Vai, Satriani, Eddie VH are also "boomers"...
Every generation playing guitar, develops techniques, musical styles and sets a bar for generations to come.
those following generations takes what was done before and come up with something new, inspired by and again raising the bar.
Etc etc.
This has been going since the guitar was ever invented.
Why TF all this generation Hate?

Top Bottom