My Cousin's Jazz fusion song remixed by me

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Cary Chilton, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I was semi-celebrating on my mix of a Jazz- fusion song, Misplaced Desire. It was written and performed ( gtrs) by my cousin, who lives in Japan. The Cello was performed by a local artist.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=802508

The first clip, was the mix made by the Studio in Japan.
    My feelings about it:
    I felt it was unnatural, guitar tone was not good... Don't know why, I will sure ask him though. The hihat seems out front, rhythm gtrs, piano were WAY to loud. The kick, toms, and snare WAY too quiet. The song in general was mixed TOO bright and compressed sounding (NO room sound), the recordings levels were also NOT consistent, so that became a challenge as I maintained to get the song dynamics, sectional and progressive. The Japanese mix was also hard limited, no dynamics, too loud, imo.

The following 3 mixes are my own. I redefined the guitar tone and warmth of the song. That was a challenge, since the original tracks sounded like tonal sh1t.
    The 3rd, I literally reshaped the song. I cut out a lot of the bass solo, tried to piece it where I could, still be musical and not fuk up the drums too much.

Let know what you think!

2. KCWM

KCWM Supporting Member

I'm listening to the trading version right now.

I think the tone of the lead guitar is a bit too bright I liked the tone of the guitar in the middle channel somewhere around the 1:38 mark or so? I'm not 100% sure of that mark.

On the original japanese mix, I wonder if the person mixing it thought that jazz drums revolved around the hi-hat and so chose to really put that forward.

So far, I like the third mix more. I love jazz drums. The cymbals are still a little hot compared to the rest of the drums, but I think that third mix is the most balanced. The lead guitar comes across as less bright sounding. It sounds a lot more organic to me.

3. Cary Chilton

The 3rd and 4th mix are my fav's. I tried my best with LOTS of computer processing to warm up the guitars. That tone is horrible! Took me hours just to get it where it is now. Just listen to the original again, to hear where I took it from. I think that is why the engineer mixed the guitar so quite. Sounds like it was recorded through a Zoom pedal but through the phone!
    I think I made a HUGE improvment, but that is my opinion. heheh
    I also added lots of tasty room sound and verb.... that wasn't in the first mix.

4. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Mix_1 gets my vote. The Japan mix had me turn it off after a few bars could not handle the that one.
    The other two are okay but 1 is the one I dug.

5. Cary Chilton

THanks Ed! Our phone conversation 2 years ago, about you suggesting I try buying DAW has proved a great investment! Thanks. Lots and LOTS of reading and reading.... and READING/ practicing, but I am starting to get a handle on it. The Japan mix nearly made my puke. The recording levels of the tracking were VERY inconsistent too, Ed. The "trading" mix was done because the session actually has TWO lead tracks, that are very different in tone ( both sharp as hell) and between each riff the recording levels were WACKED, so I did what I could. ;)

Cary

6. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Glad to hear I had a bit of responsibility in this going from crap to really cool to listen to.

7. Cary Chilton

8. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Bro, I can't comment on mixes because ll I have are laptop speakers

Just sprung for a Barber Direct Drive, so such speakers are not in the cards this month

If I was properly equipped, I'd listen to it more critically

9. Cary Chilton

Yeah you not going to hear, room reverbs, panning and the depth of the kit on laptop speakers. ;)