My Cream/Fool SG project...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Scumback Speakers, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I have the best wife...period...I'm sure some of you think the same way about yours, too. Let's face it, we're gear hoarding,
    guitar playing, tone seeking, maniacal pains in the ass...right? So when they aid and abet that, you KNOW they're special,
    and you'd better hold onto them! :D

Well, to prove mine is great, here's the tale...I was looking for an SG to turn into a Cream Fool SG guitar...tried to put one together
    several times, bought a bunch of parts for the guitar, but could never find the right project guitar until a couple of years back,
    so I acquired this one for my birthday in 2004 and I commissioned Jim Foote, (aka Dr. Scumbag, aka guitar tech to the
    stars, yada yada yada...(fill in the blank) guitar repair guy extraordinaire...etc.) to get this guitar in shape.
    So, ready for a little tour? Got a beer, big old fatty, Tylenol PM? All that good stuff?...OK...here we go!

This is what I started with, a 1963 SG Jr. with a body repair at the input jack, stripped, and alot of parts in it's case
    (pots, caps, Grover tuners, plastic, etc.).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The body needed to be routed for two pickups, stop bar, ABR-1, and the correct control cavity for a 2 pickup guitar. The fingerboard
    needed to changed out for a new one so that it can have
    trapezoidal inlays, and a new Brazilian rosewood fingerboard,
    with MOP used for the inlays. So, off with the old fingerboard,
    on with the new one, binding, and stainless steel frets!
    [​IMG]
    Close-up shot of the new Braz board and inlays (not all cleaned up yet).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then you get the headstock overlay done, new logo in MOP,
    flowerpot/crown inlay and holly veneer, and get that on...this
    pic hasn't had the logo and flowerpot cleaned up yet...
    [​IMG]
    Then I spent some time sanding off all of the old finish,
    then pore filling the body, and sanding...groan...then Mr. Foote
    wanted the edges sharper for the new paintjob. So, while
    my original effort was OK at first, he decided later on to
    re-do it so that the airbrush artist could have the flattest
    surface with the sharpest corners to airbrush the paint onto,
    so he resanded it and sharpened the edges again, and pore filled it again....yikes.
    So that left us with a nicely dialed in SG body ready to be painted
    in white so that the airbrush artist could paint "The Fool" on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now it's off to Jim O'Connor, the airbrush artist. Jim is the
    guy who did the artwork/airbrush painting of Michael Anthony's
    "Jack Daniel's" bass guitar, plus hundreds of others for Jackson,
    Charvel, Gibson, etc. in the 80's & 90's. It's going to him after I pickup the guitar from the shop
    today...hopefully to look like this when it's done...minus the whammy bar...and the lumpy
    paint the original had since it was brushed on.
    (The following pictures were provided to me by friends, and internet searches of various boards.
    Upon further research it appears that they are the work of Jeff Levinson of FabGear.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll update this thread when the paint is on the guitar...

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Nice one, Jim (except I love '63 Jnr's, oh, well....)

I've been musing with Bill Chapin about "Fool"'s.......

Are you going with the trem version then?

Best, Pete.

3. Scumback Speakers

Pete, no, the tremolo/whammy/vibrato bar setup isn't part of the deal. I've had those Gibson SG's with the "bent steel plate" whammy's... and they do not work for $h*t. LOL

Although I've been fancying getting another Charvel USA Soloist with the active pickups and the Floyd for a shred guitar...I had one...but my house got robbed in 93 and I lost everything except my 68 LP Custom and my Randall RG-80 combo.

So all of my other guitars, my 20th Anniversary Marshall stack...etc... history. I hate thieves...they should get real jobs to support their drug/sex/deviant lifestyle habits, and leave the musicians alone...:jo :FM

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Most pics of Eric playing it had no trem and he'd taken the paint off the fretboard too.

An aquantance of mine in the UK got fed up with being burgled and lay in wait with a .22 pistol and finally shot the burglar thru the foot as he was climbing thru the window. He got arrested for his pains.........

Best, Pete.

5. Don L

Don L Member

6. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Nicely documented, and a great looking guitar. Plus it's old wood too! Excellent, Smithers...

/rick

7. Scumback Speakers

DonL & RickC...thanks very much gentlemen.

I've been lusting after that guitar (tone, playing, yada yada) for 30 plus years, so this is kind of a lifelong dream fulfillment. One thing I should note is that I'm having the input jack come out the bottom of the body where there's a lot of "meat" for the jack to attach to. Since this one was already broken & repaired at the input jack, it made sense to put the jack where it wouldn't be so fragile next time around.

8. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Very cool project, and great pics as always of the details.

I love it when a vintage guitar that might be avoided due to its condition gets the attention it deserves in a project like yours. There's lots of great guitars out there that are less than perfect cosmetically.

Congrats, Jim, and I'm anxious to see the pics of the paint!

9. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

That's gonna be cool! I saw one in a shop while touring in Japan, I think there's a guy over there who makes them. I knew it was a fake because it was too clean and had clearcoat over the artwork.

I got a chance to play the original when Todd Rundgren owned it, and was surprised how "lumpy" the paint was. I had always thought it was airbrushed, but the brush marks were obvious up close. Sounded like a million bucks though!

Gearguy

10. Scumback Speakers

Thanks Gearguy. That's why I'm having it airbrushed, then clear coated, then sanded out and buffed. The idea of lumpy paint, which could also flake, chip, dent, etc., under my arm, hands, etc. wasn't too appealing.

I'm going to have to be real nice, and real "Honey, is there anything I can do for you today?" because my wife (savvy gear buyer in her own right) has a 61 long magnet PAF she bought as a 401K investment alternative. I'll bet it would kick ass in the bridge position...heh heh (grovel, grovel)... :D

11. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Holy crap is that nice. It's my new desktop pic. (Close as I'll ever get to the actual thing!) Thanks!

12. Scumback Speakers

Hey, you never know...finding broken SG's isn't too tough...but of course, it's the "search time" that's pretty extensive. I had my eye out for a suitable guitar for 8 years. I actually started looking for & buying the parts to do this in 1998.

I got the original "Les Paul" truss rod cover in 99 for $56 off eBay. I would have been really hosed trying to find the other plastic, though, the real stuff is mucho expensive. Pickguards, if you can find them, are $250. I once found an eBay seller who had all of the early 60's SG plastic for $750. Since I knew it was going to get painted on, that didn't seem very practical.

But, then again, $1900 later, plus the paintjob still to come, and the time needed to finish it correctly will still bring a fairly high price for a "restored guitar"...but it should look good sitting next to these two...so...:D
    [​IMG]

13. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

Upon reflection, I have determined that "The Fool" is about the coolest guitar I have ever seen.

Gearguy

14. Scumback Speakers

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that statement...Mrgearguy.

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yep.
    (but if you ever come across an SG Les Paul Jnr. in Pelham Blue do let me know......................)

Best, Pete.

16. Scumback Speakers

I almost did that to this one, Pete. But realizing that it had already had a humbucker route done to it, and it had Grovers on it already, I decided to go with the "since I was a teenager, I wanted that guitar" theory, and moved on it.

How about if I let you know about the "2nd" early 60's Pelham Blue LP/SG Jr. I find? ;)

17. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

How much of that paintjob is "original" to the Fool artwork? As I understand it, the guitar belonged to Jackie Lomax who pretty well trashed it- to the point of needing either a new headstock or a new neck...

Great project idea!

Have you seen the stuff done by the "Fab Gear" guy?

18. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

oh man that's gonna be awesome!!!!

I've never seen the original fool, but i touched jack bruce's fool painted bass VI at the hard rock museum in orlando when no one was looking haha.

19. Scumback Speakers

I have, and I emailed him about it, but I don't want an uneven paint finish. I like 'em smooth. That's why I'm getting it airbrushed...probably going to be a bit more vivid, and possibly a little more articulate in the paint edges, too, so it will have some more definition to it than a regular Fool paint job....I'm looking forward to it...

20. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Really nice work!