My Day of local shopping for a tele

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I've been looking for a new Tele and spent most of yesterday running around town to play a bunch. Trying to find THE ONE.
I found a pink paisley nash on line that I was thinking of getting, but hadn't played one in a while so I found a local dealer to try some of their guitars. I want to like them, but each time I've tried them in the past...they just don't do it for me. Out of the 3 Nash Tele's I played...2 of them had sharp frets on the edge, like a MIM tele would. Ugh, on a 2k guitar? While the relicing was a little better than in the past, I still found them to be some of the most uninspiring instruments I've played. The MIJ Tele's I played at GC earlier in the day were a much better option IMHO.
I know a lot of folks complain that the custom Tele builders/relicers are just putting parts together....and that's how I felt about the Nash. It was like no one took the time to figure out if this neck should be on this body.

The new Fender Teles seem to really be fantastic. A 2016 Standard at GC would have been mine if it wasn't in the exact same color I have now. Same thing with the new elites....just really great instruments all around. They seem to really getting better.
I also played a blue flower and pink Paisley MIJ Fender....both were nice guitars, didn't care for the way the pink sounded. Something seemed off. The blue one sounded really great through a matchless...plenty of punch, great action.

Lastly, for the first time....I found a CS Fender that was an amazing guitar. Great relic job, fast neck and just a great player.....4k. Ugh. It wasn't one of the over the top relics...pretty basic, but man was it nice.

The search continues....anyone searching?

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Silver Supporting Member
I'm always searching in general.....
I plan on putting the 2 necks on the 2 bodies I have next year. Nothing spectacular, G&L was blowing out Tribute necks for $30 a year ago, so I grabbed a maple and a rosewood. I haven't measured them, but one is slightly wider at the bolt-on area than the other. I've bought 2 bodies off of eBay for about the same price this year and noticed that the bolt-on cavity is also slightly wider, so they will both be snug fits! I will take my time and plan on having around $100 in each before pickups. 1 body doesn't have any routing, so I'm thinking Bigsby and Filtertrons and a custom pick guard covering the imperfections that made it so cheap (a friend has a wood working shop and the know how). The other will be the traditional ashtray bridge and maybe a hum bucket in the neck.
This will curb my desires for another tele for a while and I will learn whether or not I like assembling partscasters.

bgmacaw

I was at the Athens GC last night and the Tele selection seemed a bit slim. Someone else there even commented on it. Good thing I was looking at inexpensive SGs.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I was at the Athens GC last night and the Tele selection seemed a bit slim. Someone else there even commented on it. Good thing I was looking at inexpensive SGs.
The GC in Atlanta has close to a dozen Teles...

Stu Cats

Take a look at an RS Guitarworks 59 slab. Very fine guitars; exellent aging process.

I had an early Nash back when you could get them for around a grand and see progress pics on a secret link on his site. The final product was less than meh.

I've been looking for a new Tele and spent most of yesterday running around town to play a bunch. Trying to find THE ONE.
I found a pink paisley nash on line that I was thinking of getting, but hadn't played one in a while so I found a local dealer to try some of their guitars. I want to like them, but each time I've tried them in the past...they just don't do it for me. Out of the 3 Nash Tele's I played...2 of them had sharp frets on the edge, like a MIM tele would. Ugh, on a 2k guitar? While the relicing was a little better than in the past, I still found them to be some of the most uninspiring instruments I've played. The MIJ Tele's I played at GC earlier in the day were a much better option IMHO.
I know a lot of folks complain that the custom Tele builders/relicers are just putting parts together....and that's how I felt about the Nash. It was like no one took the time to figure out if this neck should be on this body.

The new Fender Teles seem to really be fantastic. A 2016 Standard at GC would have been mine if it wasn't in the exact same color I have now. Same thing with the new elites....just really great instruments all around. They seem to really getting better.
I also played a blue flower and pink Paisley MIJ Fender....both were nice guitars, didn't care for the way the pink sounded. Something seemed off. The blue one sounded really great through a matchless...plenty of punch, great action.

Lastly, for the first time....I found a CS Fender that was an amazing guitar. Great relic job, fast neck and just a great player.....4k. Ugh. It wasn't one of the over the top relics...pretty basic, but man was it nice.

I found my dream tele long ago (total accident, a one-off custom build from some random dude in Texas who builds for big country music stars). Guitar Center sold it to me for $499!!!

But other than that as far as high quality and not insanely priced, MIJ is the way to go. I especially like the 80s MIJ models.

custom53

I have a '52 Reissue Tele like I really like but I also had a MIJ 50th anniversary Tele that I loved.. But I ended up selling it. I can't remember why.. BUt I would love to find another one in the same shape and color as the one I had..

'52 Reissue

MIJ 50th Anniversary

jklotz

The new Fender Teles seem to really be fantastic.

Are you referring to the new American Professional teles? As I'm sure you already know, the American Standard is currently being replaced by the American Professional, and I liked them a lot better. The neck is a little fatter, and they have a new ashtray bridge with the sides cut down. Check em out, they are really nice.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom