My default Strat volume setting is 8.

Stx

I seem to get the best sound at 8 on my Strat. Is that just me?
(Am Standard, Fat 50's).

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
I like mine around 8-9 normally, but yeah I generally agree.

Reactions: Stx

DCross

Acoustic Jazz & Electric Folk
Silver Supporting Member
I play the G&L versions of strats and teles and, yeah, the volume and tone knobs are really important and very responsive.

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, 7-8 for me, no treble bleed. Means I have some room to turn up and also get a bit brighter as I do which can be really nice. I keep the neck/middle tone at 9-10 and the bridge tone at 7-8. That’s home base for me.

apeekaboo

I think 7-8 is default on most models. ;)

At least that's how I dial it in, and I'm guessing that's the difference between having the best sound at 7-8 or 10.

dito

SSS

V-9
T-8
T-7

Pisses me off when I touch it.

How can you guys deal with messing it up live with low lights? I can't stand if those knobs aren't at those exaxt settings.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
I mess with volume and tone constantly on all of my guitars. It's easier than walking over to the amp.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Silver Supporting Member
Volume & tone turned down, amp turned up - that's a big part of the Jeff Beck tone.
Congrats on discovering it yourself, it was a shock to me how much better Strats sound that way!
Yup. I've found some nice tones with the Strat knobs all on 6 and the amp cranked. One way to think of it is just pretend that 6 is 10 then set the pedals and amp accordingly.

Gclef

Nope. That’s where it sounds best.
I like mine around 8-9 normally, but yeah I generally agree.
@8 for me
How so? I'm not trolling, just curious.

Do you set you amp tone at 8? Or do you set the tone controls with the guitar on 10, and then turn down to 8?
Treble bleed or no? With a treble bleed, would you also turn down to 8?

Single coils only?

I seem to have the most problems with the volume below 9-10 my guitars without treble bleeds. Maybe this "8" thing may do the trick.

I like the abilty to brighten and tighten up as I drop the volume with a treble bleed. I can always cut the tone down to compensate to get a similar tone at lower volumes.

My strat has a clapton circuit, so nothing is ever at ten for long. This is my favorite setup for a strat. So many tones.
Clean strat
Ballsey strat
Fat strat
P90ish.

Trending Topics