My Digital Rig: Fractal AX8, Line 6 G10S & Headrush FRFR-108’s

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by X-Mann, Jun 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Hello my Digital Guitar Brothers......

Part-1

I’m having a case of the “Monday’s” at work & thought I’d share some positive content here that nobody needs, wants or asked for! :p

As a middle aged guitar shredder wannabe who plays out 2x a month in a 90’s cover bad, I go though (& keep it all) A LOT of gear.

Here’s my digital rig for 2019 & some details of my gear quest.

Headrush FRFR-108’s (in Stereo) for $400 total :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    I thought that there’s NO WAY in HELL that these tiny/cheap powered speakers could compete with my pair of Friedman ASM-12’s. (They can & they do for me)

Note: The ASM-12’a are crazy good, but crazy heavy & since the PA is what fills the room, I only need a personal monitor & my drummer actually uses an Electric drum kit too.

Fractal AX8 + (2) Headrush 108’s
    [​IMG]
    I’ve got the AX8 set-up where Output #1 (XLR) feeds the board/PA & Output #2 (1/4”) feed the Headrush speakers. This way I have complete & separate control of the volumes (& added EQ if needed) for each Output. The AX8 has a Global EQ for each Output that is separate as well.

Line 6 G10S Relay Wireless Unit:
    [​IMG]
    I’ve been a HUGE fan of the original Line 6 G10 Wireless unit for years now. I’ve never had an issue with the USB powered G10 unit......but I just had to have the “G10S” version. It’s the perfect “Bar Wireless” unit & the some. :D

I was using the Fractal FX8 (FX Only) & different tube amps & was very happy Tone wise. The PRS MT15 is a beast of an amp too.
    [​IMG]
    But....Due to stage volume, mixing (Out front) issues....& my drummer going to a full electric drum kit (who does that?, I’ve had to go digital as well.....

The 1st thing I did was re-build a few of my FX8 presets on the AX8. I only needed to figure the amp/cab blocks since all of my FX had been dialed-in for years & years now.......

Here’s a detailed example that shows me creating the preset for “Everlong” by the Foo Fighters on my AX8.....& what the Headrush 108’s Sound at louder than gig volume......:D

This explains most of the routing & the 2-different outputs.

So.....I have 3 gigs in & one was a minor league ball park......& there’s only one downside to this set-up for me.......I can’t take my volume (AX8 Volume) past 22% without overpowering everyone! Lol

Note: This is a GOOD problem & shows the effectiveness & power of the 108’s. There’s also plenty of bass too....

My main amp is the Friedman HBE (& BE) & it’s set at -18db level wise in my presets.....& while the Headrush speakers go to “11”, I keep both at around 7.

Here’s an example & video walk through of this rig at bedroom volume & at a setting of 2%......Go to 0:40 for the Rig in video...

I like being able to play at low volumes & at full gig volume on the same rig. I use the global “FX Mix” knob when playing at low volumes & it boosts all the FX in every Preset. My FX level is dialed in at gig volume.....& feels low if playing at less than gig levels to me.....

My TUBE AMP Live tone sounded like this with the band through the Fractal FX8 & a V30 loaded cabinet. This is the tone that I’m trying to get digitally out of the AX8/Headrush set-up.

Yes, I wearing skin-tight red pants & have no shame when playing out & trying to entertain a crowd. :(

So....Here’s the digtail (AX8) tones that I created to play these same songs.....All the FX are basically the same due to coping them from FX8 to AX8.

You’re only hearing the mains here & not the Headrush speakers that I’m hearing on stage.

This was a freezing cold gig & hard to play actually. I think the tones sounded good & much like the tube amp versions......In the end.....nobody cared but me! lol

I could keep posting more pics, videos & comments......but this gives you the basic idea of what this rig does & sounds like.....

Thanks & Peace!!! X-Mann

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 6:41 AM
    lenster, Gearzilla, Chocol8 and 9 others like this.
  2. LolainNB

LolainNB Member

Thats a perfect rig. How do you go to both FRFRs?

X-Mann likes this.
  3. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

I use a separate 1/4” cable for the left & the right outputs to each input on the Headrush units......

I added a video that shows this too....

X

4. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Nice rig X!!! Functional and fantastic!!!

Interesting on the HR 108s. I play 90%+ of my time via IEMs (both at home in a townhouse and both my church gigs). I have a QSC K10.2 that I use with the Helix LT/HX Stomp - does it for me. That said - if I was doing gigs with monitors I'd be all over the 108s for the same reasons you've stated.

Cool stuff. Crazy how you can go from FX8 with amps to AX8 with FRFRs and still have a great experience with similar tones and better FOH.

Great story bro!!!

X-Mann likes this.
  5. TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage Member

Thanks for the write up and videos. I got some good ideas from your methods!

X-Mann likes this.
  6. Jarick

Jarick Member

Always love seeing your stuff X!

I was watching your video on the FRFR 108's over the weekend. How do you like them compared to studio monitors for home playing? I was kicking around trying one out as something a little closer to a guitar cab although I know it's not.

X-Mann likes this.
  7. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Hey D.....

We ALL are on the same journey to find what works best with our guitars, other gear & playing environment.

I put more time into all of this than I should & have been trying to get my playing to the next level.

The FX8 w/ a tube amp (at volume) is what I love the most, but when they keep making me turn it down to the point that it doesn’t sound good.....The digital stuff fixes all of that and then some.

I play much better on Digital stuff due to all the added compression I think too.

Thx for always being so positive & supportive bro!!! N

My goal here is just a fun thread about an adverage dad who likes to Rock Out on the Weekends in tight red pants!!! :D

Peace! X

Note- Part-2 is coming after my 12:30pm meeting. ;)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Jarick and dmock66 like this.
  8. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

I just scored an AX8 for a reasonable price, compared to the gouging that has been going on. You were a wealth of info in my 11R days. I may need to reach out to pick your brain when it arrives. I too have a pair of ASM12s, and 2 T21 PEDDS. My KPA is hooked up to the ASMs but never leaves the house. After seeing a YT vid about comparison between the AXE3 and the AX8, I was convinced that my $$ would be better spent on the 8 for my needs.

X-Mann likes this.
  9. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I'm completely with you X! I do this for fun - it's not my vocation - nor is anything of value based off my gear/playing. Like you, I spend waaay too much time looking, obsessing over, and acquiring gear - should use that time to be a better player/musician. Granted, I can butter the bread... but if I spend the gear obsession time on practice/improvement - maybe I could tour!!! lol

I've always enjoyed your stuff - back to the 11R days. Keep it loose and enjoy the ride!!!

X-Mann likes this.
  10. Jarick

Jarick Member

I'm also curious to know how many patches you are running? Different patch per song or just a few different types? And do you use anything other than the Friedman amp models?

X-Mann likes this.
  11. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Thx TB!!! ;)

I’ve learned from the best & found a way to make it work for me.

The biggest thing that I do & like is the way I create the switching for my individual song based presets.......It’s made my live playing easier & more fun overall.

I appreciate your comments!!!

X

TastyBeverage likes this.
  12. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

1st off...Congrats on the AX8!!!

I’m not a smart Mann, so it took me going to the FX8 & just dialing in FX for a few years to grasp the AX8. Lol

Actually it took playing out with real tube amps & cabinets to get my head around the amp modeling and cab blocks.....

I’m always here to help, but there are much better guys to go to for help like Mark Day & Leon Todd.....& that Rocker Todd Bishop of the Ozz band......

I still have my 11-Rack too! :D

Peace! X

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 6:44 AM
  13. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

I use a Preset per song & have built around 60.....& use about 40 a night.

I only use 4 different amp models & only one cab IR......My song presets are based on scenes & the scenes go in the exact order of what happens in the song. Most are only 2 to 3 scenes, w/ a few having 4.

I have the song BPM set on each Preset so that the delay is always very close...The FX are already on on each Preset/scene & I only have what I need in each Preset that’s needed in the song.

There are many ways to Skin this cat.....& whatever works for you is the right way.

X

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    Jarick likes this.
  14. dmock66

dmock66 Member

That's how I set up the HX Stomp as well - and the LT also, for that matter.

X-Mann likes this.
  15. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

40 presets a night! Impressive!

I've been gigging an AX8 w/ two Alto TS208s (pretty much your same monitors) but with my tiki bar gigs they cover the whole place, I'm not going into the P.A. I was very surprised with the output these things have.

Funny thing is I use one of two patches all night! I have all kinds of effects on each one and few scenes, and I switch them as needed.

Gasp100 and X-Mann like this.
  16. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Part-2 of “Information that you don’t need to know & didn’t ask for at all”! :rolleyes:

My Digital Rig is so small now (How small is it?) that I can fit it (& all of my guitars) on my Rock Cart at the same time. This means one trip in & one trip out at the end of the night! #priceless
    [​IMG]
    Playing as the only guitar player in a 4-piece band has taught me a lot. Being able to play in stereo on stage w/ a slight pan L/R in the mono PA sounds much bigger to me.......but the audience might not notice at all. :)

Note: If I love my sound/volume & mix on stage, I play noticeably better.

I got the idea to try out the 8” drivers in the Headrush series from my Yamaha THR10X practice amp. I realized that the slight stereo spread & small 3” speakers made the amp modeling sound just HUGE, out of this little green toaster.
    [​IMG]
    I like to make content for my XMANNROCKS IG Page (shameless plug) while I’m working on new concepts or material......& I use my Yamaha THR10X more than any other piece of gear I own.

Ex...

When I was going back to digital from the tube amps & FX8 Rig, this all just hit me. Why don’t I just make a more Pro
    Level THR10X unit? So I did!

The Headrush FRFR 108’s have been a shocking surprise to me to say the least.

This thread is about MANY things here & not just one piece of gear......I’m not loyal to anything or any company. I use what works & then praise it if I think it’s “Special”. If something doesn’t work, I just move on & try not to talk about it.

I like to share my journey on “The Facebook” & IG......& just document everything that I do & create......

Ok, back to the Fractal AX8, making presets & getting your gig rig in order.

I like to think of myself as the poor mans Mark Day or Leon Todd.....

I get a lot of great ideas from watching others & I do buy user presets & look at how they are built. I also test out things & sometime even steal & tweak FX blocks to work in my world.

MOST presets that are created by other users do NOT work for me......Here’s the only preset that ever worked for me right out of the gate with no tweaking.

I think you need to create your own presets based on your guitars and pickups....but, lots can be learned from checking out what others are doing.

X

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 6:48 AM
    PBGas and ur2funky like this.
  17. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Again, it makes me sad that I’m not cranking these little beasts at a much louder volume. The clarity & volume is very impressive.....& not just based on the cheap price either.

Your gig sounds very cool & while 40 presets sounds like a lot.......There’s not a lot going on here in each Preset. When I set an amp model & I use that amp model again later in a different Preset. I DO NOT tweak or change the amp block at all!!!!

This is key to my system & goes the same for the Cab block too!!!

I only tweak FX, Switching order, BPM setting, Scene volumes & FX mix....

X

ur2funky likes this.
  18. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I use this method also - battle tested and works like a charm!

I set up Snapshots to suit each song section per song - if I want big singing/sustaining lead tones I may increase the amp gain/OD gain and output level - but 99% of the setting stay the same. It's primarily effects changes (mostly delays) for me - and even those are in one of three settings (aligned to the song BPM) and reverb changes (subtle to not-subtle). That's about it. So even tho it seems like a lot of presets - it's really one preset tailored to song sections.

I assume that's what you're also describing X-Mann.

X-Mann likes this.
  19. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Sounds fantastic! I think the HR108's are what I'm going to get, when I get the FM3.

X-Mann likes this.
  20. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

Nice setup X-Mann and thank you for providing reading material that I don't need, don't want and certainly didn't ask for.:D I was going to spend my lunch eating a turkey sandwich and sunchips while developing methods for feeding the poor, improving our education system and making our world a safer place but then thought, screw it. Someone else will do that. X-Mann has some cool gear pics to look over. I have a Alto TS310 at home because it's small and convenient but sounds pretty good. Never considered 8" anything before except when my wife brings it up but we're talking speakers here.

You and @JiveTurkey should compare your gig wardrobes. Interesting stuff there.

Jarick, Gasp100 and X-Mann like this.