My dirt search is NEARLY over!!! (Help me find a replacement for my Fulldrive 2)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by arexjay, Mar 5, 2006.

1. arexjay

arexjay Member

Right now for dirt I'm running a Fulldrive 2 (low/medium OD) into an SCOD (pretty heavy gain) into a Boss OD-3 (volume up, gain all the way down).

I'm looking to replace the FD2. I run it on the Vintage channel, volume at 2 oclock, tone at 1 oclock, drive at 9 oclock. It sound's too 'processed' and smooth compared to the SCOD and OD-3. So, pretty much, I'm looking for a natural sounding (not too smooth) overdrive that's gritty, but doesn't provide a whole lot of gain (think between an heavy gain SCOD and a very low gain OD-3).

Gutiars are: Schecter Tempest (NOT a metal guitar) w/ P-90's, and soon to be a MIM daphne blue '57 RI strat w/ Fender CS '54 pickups.
    Amp is: Fender Blues Deluxe, set at between 6 and 7 (out of 12), which is just slightly breaking up.

Anything else you need to know, just ask!

Thanks!

- Ryan

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

timmy, mi audio blues boy or blues pro

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Timmy or Xotic AC

jb

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Also, the search is NEVER OVER...... MWAAHAHAHAHA! :D

5. RickB

RickB Member

The Skreddy Screw Driver just kicked my 10th Anniversary FD-2 off of my board. Great pedal that Screw Driver. www.skreddypedals.com

6. Luke V

Luke V Member

I don't like the fd2 at all, so I think anything would be better.

I love my Keeley ts9 with 808+ mod

7. arexjay

arexjay Member

I was thinking, since I love the OD-3 so much, should I just buy another and use it for the low/medium OD? I think I might...

8. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, that's why I've got another Timmy on order. If you're getting two useful sounds out of your OD-3 (also my fave Boss od, BTW) it's as good a solution as any.

But if you want something a little different that's in the same ballpark, price-wise, I'll second the recommendation of a Timmy or an MI Audio Blues Pro. Both outstanding pedals that'll work well w/your fender amp..

9. arexjay

arexjay Member

Thanks man, I'll check it out. I'd love a Tim or Timmy, but don't think I can wait the 3 months or whatever it is, and can't reason spending over $200 for a used one.

10. arexjay

arexjay Member

After looking at the MI Audio website, I'm thinking I want a Crunch Box! I'd set it to low-gain, it would be perfect! Eh?

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

MI Audio or byoc is the only way to go to save some $$$$$.... They have great items available.

12. drolling

drolling Member

arexjay, I've got a BluesPro- true-bypass and great low to med. OD w/a very effective tone control as well. A no-brainer at $89.

Can't speak from experience on the CrunchBox, as mine isn"t here yet - but check out jlagrassa's clip in his thread somewhere down the page.. Very convincing classic Marshall sound w/a strat & a deluxe RI. Also a no-brainer at 99 bucks. But in the end, if you'd really prefer the OD3, you could flip either of these MI pedals in the Emporium in about 5 minutes..

13. Luke V

Luke V Member

I have a Tim, and it is very smooth. Maybe someone didn't read you're post.

The Tim is great, but it is very smooth, no grit.

14. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

Texas Two Step II! It's what you wish the Fulldrive was.

15. arexjay

arexjay Member

Alright, now I just have to decide between these two!

Anyone have any insight on either of thse? Which one would you recommend?

16. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Good plan.
    A TIM or Timmy is one of those pedals that you'll always find a application for and you can save for it while trying other stuff in the meantime.

17. arexjay

arexjay Member

Jesus, that thing's like ****in' cocaine for you guys.

18. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

It's a cult and we've all been brainwashed!

No seriously, I guess we've all been pretty amazed by the tone, versatility and what's really amazing, the affordability of Paul's pedals.

A Timmy or TIM is one of of those rare cases of a deal that seems too good to be true yet actually is true!

19. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

Both the Tim and Timmy are amazing pedals. They are versatile, and can be used in multiple ways, making the number of people who like them large. It's also affordable. Paul could charge MUCH more for this pedal (as the prices on eBay show) but he doesn't. He makes a pedal that anybody can buy, from a proffesional musician to a kid. Great pedal, great deal, great builder.