My DR. SCIENTIST BITQUEST review!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by td2243, Feb 12, 2015.

1. td2243

td2243 Member

Hey guys,

Here is the youtube review I did for the Dr. Scientist Bitquest pedal. The pedal is insanely cool and does so much. The review is an hour long and comprehensive. If you are interested in the pedal, pour yourself a drink and sitback. :)

Daniel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cna29QdBRT0

Clean Channel likes this.
  2. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

jesus
    i watched bits.
    props for effort.
    such a mad bit of gear.

3. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

I can easily see a demo for the BQ being an hour long and still not cover everything. There's a whole lot in that little box. One of the most fun pedals out there, easily.

Starting to watch the review..

4. td2243

td2243 Member

thanks for watching! I know it's long.

Clean Channel likes this.
  5. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Thank you. I'm considering this one as a placeholder until Dr. Scientist completes a dedicated new delay.
    Loved it since day one, just waiting for a more colorful finish, though I get the impression that it's not as popular as it should be,
    so perhaps there's no point waiting.

A quiet but genuine hype, kind of cult pedal. Almost seems like a culmination of his work in a way. I don't think the world was ready for it LOL! :D
    Like I said, it's next on my list.

EDIT: Sit back and grab a drink? I think I will lol...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  6. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

I actually like the new finish. Grows on me the more I see it. I had the acid etched one from the ILF run, and that one looked great too! The delay sounds on it are really cool, definitely enough there to keep you busy for a while. A great simple digital sounding delay.

7. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I remember when I first heard the demos from the Dr. Scientist guy that I loved the very thick distortion-fuzz sound it had. The rest were icings on the cake, and I would not see myself using them instead of my dedicated (and therefore more tweakable) pedals.

This highlights an issue: the biggest advantage of such pedals (offering so many sounds and combinations) is also their biggest disadvantage: which one of these hundreds of combinations will someone end up using? And how many of these will actually be interesting? Maybe just a handful at max? And since the rest are not instantly available through presets, will they ever be used on stage at all besides a bit of experimentation here and there? Since they won't, you'll get the feeling you'll never use the pedal to its full potential, and that the best part of it will be wasted. These ideas seem good for fun & a bit of inspiration (and I fully understand and support that), but having so many options and sounds drives its price higher and its actual final use lower. (by the way I would buy the digital fuzz in a heartbeat on its own)

8. td2243

td2243 Member

Lux... I totally get what you are saying. In what mode will it live on my board? That IS the question. One could easily have 5 of these on their board, but who will?

At the same time, there are so many unique sounds that I easily see myself using it for recordings and very often, where I might want a delay or reverb with a different sound to it. This is a definitely 'go to' pedal for the studio (aka. my computer and interface). I still like to use pedals for recordings from time to time. Most plugins seems to be less adventurous as far as effects go and stick to the usual sounds that that particular effect offers. The delays are delays, the reverbs are reverbs, chorus..chorus, etc.

The bitquest take what might seem like a 'normal' effect and unquestionably add the Dr. Scientist tilt to it. SO, while it can only have one setting at a time on my pedalboard, it is hugely helpful to me in the studio.

9. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

That's good thinking... It's been a few years since I was into plugins a lot, but I understand what you're saying, and it's true, although I remember reading about quite a few completely off-the-wall ones in Sound On Sound or especially Computer Music (just a few seconds ago I went to their site and on the 1st page there was something similar to the Bitquest: http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/destroyer-2-multi-effects-plugin-released-616358). They are definitely there, you just have to know where to look. But indeed, as I have also realised myself there is a very different concept interaction-wise & inspiration-wise in working with VSTs vs. knob turning on something you can touch and feel. So in that context this pedal can be useful...

10. jw112

jw112 Member

Great demo. i bought one and sent it back the next day. I couldn't bond with it.

11. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Tell that to the hundreds of people on here using a Timeline for 5-6 delay sounds.. :hide2

I would say that I found about 80% of the sounds in the BitQuest usable for my style of playing. So out of the million possible sounds, 80% is pretty darn good. And that doesn't even count expression pedal control (opens up a ton of possibilities. Flanger, Pitch Shift, Reverb, Delay Bit Crusher and the Ring Mod (especially the Ring Mod!) were my favourites and I used all of them pretty heavily.

The real beauty of the BitQuest is it's simple control scheme. There are no menus. You basically choose a setting, then only tweak the 3 control knobs. Volume, Mix and Tone do the same thing in every mode. It is very, very simple to remember settings, no need for presets in my opinion. Presets can become a crutch - going back to the same few sounds over and over and over again... This pedal does not represent that. Every time you turn it on, you can find a new sound that may just be the sound you've been looking for, without really looking for it.

I don't understand the idea that once you put a pedal on a pedalboard, it's stuck on one setting... Maybe someone can explain that further.

12. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

First of all, the Timeline, Space, H9 etc. do have a vast number of different sounds but the difference is they are all instantly available as footswitchable presets. The Bitquest doesn't, and that was one of my points. Secondly, you don't have to use all of the sounds available just because they are there, but using an effect to its full potential means it should enable you to do so with ease if/when you choose to. For the Bitquest in the studio multiple usage might be a bit easier, but sorry: on a pedalboard it just isn't. If you belong in the minority of people that remember many different settings (or take out your notebook!) and apply them on the fly between songs on a dark stage and manage to do so in the heat of the moment & after a few drinks, then more power to you, but that's not something most people will do.

13. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

I just don't think it's that hard to change settings between songs. You find maybe 4 or 5 sounds that you really like, how hard can it be to remember them? There's no menus or crazy amount of knobs to tweak. There's three knobs, essentially. 2, if you use an expression pedal.

What about on something like the Cosmichorus? I use it as a chorus, vibrato and flanger. Really not that hard to change between songs. Just a matter of changing a few knobs (mainly rate, mix and clock). Or a Paul Trombetta fuzz that can do overdrive, sustaining fuzz and trumpet sounds? Do I need presets on those, too?

The full potential of the BQ, imo, is for someone to go on an adventure with the knobs and find some cool, different. Not a lot of conventional tones in this box. Just something that can do a lot of different sounds that some people will find useless but others will find a new song in them. It's about finding sounds you like, they're not as difficult to remember as you may think.

Heck, even if you did just keep the BQ in one mode, there's lots of sounds there.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Let's just say that I prefer not to have to count on my memory for changing 4-5 different settings on one multiknob pedal for a performance, and I guess most people also will. As I said, (a) if you do then more power to you, (b) I understand and appreciate its use as an inspiration tool and in the studio, but further than that you have all the limitations that you should naturally expect.

15. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Fair enough, but I've always loved changing settings during gigs. I use all my pedals for multiple sounds.

Different views and playing styles. Like you said, BQ would be a great studio tool for people that don't like to turn knobs in a live setting. It's also just a straight up FUN pedal to play with.

16. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

Alright. I subscribed immediately. I love this approach.
    Wasn't sure if I wanted this pedal before. Now I definitely want one. Would be perfect for the effects loop of my Superego - especially during extended experimental jams as well as detailed recoding sessions. Really love the sounds in there.

17. td2243

td2243 Member

For what its worth, I have changed settings on multiple knob pedals at a show before. I had little tape markers so I could easily make the change.

Again, programmable pedal are much easier for this type of thing, but I'm not complaining. I love this pedal and I can't think of ANY programmable pedal with a Fuzz sound like this. It is just brutal.

18. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

19. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Nice demo. Makes me remember how great the Ring Mod is on the BQ!