My Dream Amp Was Waiting For Me at GC (VHT Content!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitar Josh, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

For many many years, I've lusted after a VHT Pittbull Ultralead. To me, the amp just had the perfect tone, this beautiful marriage of fender/marshall/mesa with a cutting tone with note definition and tons of versatility. Of course, with the price of a head alone being $3200, it was definitely out of my reach.

I've tried lots of amps in the interim. A Rivera, which was nice but very flat. Then I got a Mesa Dual Rec (3 channel). It was nice and all, but too uncontrollable and lost note definition quickly. Plus, it sounded like a recto, which a million people sound like. Then onto a Marshall JCM410h, which is a very nice amp with tons of options but very noisy. Pretty cool amp though. Most recent was a Splawn Quickrod, which does one thing and one thing well - JCM800 tones. VERY well. But it was very midrangey (probably would have been happier with the Nitro).

So I'm coming home from a work picnic and realize that a GC I never get to anymore is just a few miles away. I didn't have any expectations, I just figured I'd see what they had.

I get there at 7:58, which I think is plenty of time for a few laps...only on Saturday, they close at 8pm!! I told the counter guy that I just wanted to make a quick lap and get a set of strings. I walk towards the back...and there she is...a VHT PBUL with graphic EQ with a B cab (straight). I was floored. Then a salesguy comes up to me...and remembers my name from a sale 18 months ago (eerie feeling comes over me). Ask mgr if I can play it for a few minutes and after looking at my sales screen, he agrees (I guess buying lots of stuff there has its privledges, lol). 10 minutes later, I'm convinced this was the head I've been dreaming about. I ask him for a price...and it's far, far, far less then I imagined. Feeling that the stars were aligned for me on this one, I pulled the trigger. They even managed to get a 4x12 in my modest sedan...everything worked like magic!!

There's not a mark on the thing. It's so versatile. It has three channels and using the toggles and boosts, you can get a ton of different tones, no less than 5 of which can be accessed by the footswitch alone. The KT77s really are an added dimension to the tone. There's not a bad tone in the amp.

I think this one is a keeper...

2. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Great amp,I like the clean tones.

3. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Congrats on your new flamethrower. :dude

4. Kelly

Kelly Member

Gratz, welcome to the VHT club.

5. pattste

pattste Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

6. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

I bet that thing has monster tone.....I've had a 50ST and played through a Deliverance and loved the tones. Congrats on finding "your" amp!!

7. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Congrats!! I have one on the way as well. Let us know how things go as time goes on.

8. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

man congrats....i know the feeling of finally getting the sound your have been looking for. beer.

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I'm actually keeping it on the normal mode (off high gain). I feel like the boosts are more responsive in that mode, and you can get more variety of tones. The lead channel even in normal mode has monster amounts of gain.

I love this amp.