• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

My dream Stratocaster Neck Pickup... trying to find it!

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah the Van Zandts seem pretty interesting! They have a great price and I hope they sound chimey, full and "tubular" in the neck, because that's all I'm getting lol. If someone could tell me why the true vintage better fits my descriptions (and the examples in my original post), than the plus or vice versa, I will greatly appreciate it!
The TV measures around 6k & the + is around 6.3k. With your description, I'd go with TV.

Mad Wombat

What's the difference between regular and alnico?
I think they're just different magnet material, slightly different sound. Also, the 'regular' microcoils have adjustable pole pieces, the alnicos do not.
You can ask Becky or Shannon about them. They've always been great about answering questions when I've asked.

habatu

Which K-Line Custom Wound did you get? Which model?
I totally forgot I made a quick video comparing the Suhr V60LP and the Klein pickup:

The Suhr is from start to 20 seconds and the Klein is from 49 seconds to 1:10. You can ignore the other pickup sections and the bad playing.

TheDireStrat

I totally forgot I made a quick video comparing the Suhr V60LP and the Klein pickup:

The Suhr is from start to 20 seconds and the Klein is from 49 seconds to 1:10. You can ignore the other pickup sections and the bad playing.

Thank you. The Klein seems more thin than the Suhr, I like the way the Suhr sounded better! Now I wonder how the K-Line sounds like! The 64 seems to be the most promising one for me!

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
Just about any good single coil neck pup will be great in a Strat. As you've likely found out, you're going to get everyone's personal favorites and not really a consensus.

If your fretboard is 9.5 or 7.5 radius, (most model Strats) you probably want to make sure the pup has staggered height pole pieces with raised D and G pieces. If your fretboard is flatter, (some model Strats not many) look into pups with flat or uniform height pieces.

I say this because a lot of the "tubey" sound you describe disproportionately comes from the G string and if that pole is low relative to your fretboard that sound will be less pronounced.

For the neck anything from 5.7k to 6.3k or so should serve you well. Anything in the 6k or higher range for a neck pup can be considered "hot" or "overwound." I personally prefer something around 5.7 to 6.1k in the neck, with anything else a little too hot and losing definition and chime, IMHO.

Here's a few I really like that fit your description of tubey, full bodied, yet chimey. I put them in order, according to what I think will get you what you describe:

Rocketfire Total 60s
Fralin Vintage Hots
Van Zandt Blues
Duncan Antiquities Texas Hots

Also make sure that your pots measure in the 250k range without too much variation. If any is closer to 300, you may want to switch that one out. It will be too bright.

And your cap should be .047, though you can get away with a darker sounding .068 in some guitars. (Most Strats, IMHO, should use a .047 cap. Best sweet spot if the pots are the k values they should be.)

Last edited:

PewterCam

if you are on a budget I’d go with Bootstrap pickups. Heck if you reach out to bootstrap you can probably just order Just a neck pickup or if you are into tinkering buy multiple neck pickups with different windings and magnets and try them all.

Also keep an eye out for them used. I bought some sun city select bootstrap pickups for $35 shipped for my Samick strat. Also a set of Bootstrap high output humbuckers Used for $30.

habatu

Thank you. The Klein seems more thin than the Suhr, I like the way the Suhr sounded better! Now I wonder how the K-Line sounds like! The 64 seems to be the most promising one for me!
Sorry I mistyped the title. That is the K-Line 64 vs the Suhr V60LP. The K-Line isn't thin it is just more balanced so you hear everything. The Suhr is definitely warmer but for my needs the 64 was better.

TheDireStrat

Just about any good single coil neck pup will be great in a Strat. As you've likely found out, you're going to get everyone's personal favorites and not really a consensus.

If your fretboard is 9.5 or 7.5 radius, (most model Strats) you probably want to make sure the pup has staggered height pole pieces with raised D and G pieces. If your fretboard is flatter, (some model Strats not many) look into pups with flat or uniform height pieces.

I say this because a lot of the "tubey" sound you describe disproportionately comes from the G string and if that pole is low relative to your fretboard that sound will be less pronounced.

For the neck anything from 5.7k to 6.3k or so should serve you well. Anything in the 6k or higher range for a neck pup can be considered "hot" or "overwound." I personally prefer something around 5.7 to 6.1k in the neck, with anything else a little too hot and losing definition and chime, IMHO.

Here's a few I really like that fit your description of tubey, full bodied, yet chimey. I put them in order, according to what I think will get you what you describe:

Rocketfire Total 60s
Fralin Vintage Hots
Van Zandt Blues
Duncan Antiquities Texas Hots

Also make sure that your pots measure in the 250k range without too much variation. If any is closer to 300, you may want to switch that one out. It will be too bright.

And your cap should be .047, though you can get away with a darker sounding .068 in some guitars. (Most Strats, IMHO, should use a .047 cap. Best sweet spot if the pots are the k values they should be.)
Thank you so much for the reply! Very informative! I really like the Rocketfires. I finally know what to look for when buying a neck pickup... Thank you so much guys, I realize that there are so many good neck pickups out there, so I will make a list of all the things I am looking for and narrow my pickup list to the ones that have the characteristics I am looking for! Thank you all of you, I learned so much. I really appreciate it... this dream will become reality, one day, and it's thanks to you. Stay safe out there and good luck with your endeavours.

TheDireStrat

Oh yeah also, I cannot go on the RocketFire site, because whenever I try to click the google link, the page doesn't work. Does this happen to any of you as well? If anyone is somehow close to Nick Sorensen (I think he's the man behind this company), I think we would all appreciate it if you tell him to fix his site! Thanks!

Husky

Sorry I mistyped the title. That is the K-Line 64 vs the Suhr V60LP. The K-Line isn't thin it is just more balanced so you hear everything. The Suhr is definitely warmer but for my needs the 64 was better.
In that case I'd say try our V63 as well.
the V60LP has a low resonant peak but that makes it work nicely with drive pedals

crazymauler

Gold Supporting Member
So what do you guys suggest for a versatile, full voiced and bodied, chimey Stratocaster neck pickup?
Suhr ML Standard.

I just put a set in my Strat and they are absolutely fantastic. I have (and had) several Suhr pickups, they’re all great, but IMHO you’re search will happily end with the ML Standard.

Trending Topics