My duo is required to have $1,000,000 liability insurance to play a gig?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MJ Slaughter, Feb 18, 2020.

1. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

I've never run into this before so maybe someone can tell me if this is normal. Got a gig at a Renaissance hotel which is part of Marriott for my acoustic duo. I'm not surprised that I need to be added to their vendor system but a requirement is to have a 1 Million dollar liability insurance policy in place. One place I checked costs $199 a year or $59 for a show good for 3 days. Should I have this type insurance anyway? I also have a full band that does some club work but mostly private parties, weddings and corporate events. In all my years I've never run into this before.

2. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I've never run into that either. You can ask for an exception--my firm does that all the time. Sometimes they make it, some times they don't.

derekd likes this.
  3. larry1096

larry1096 Member

I used to work at a large office building, and anyone doing *any* type of 'work' there had to have a COI with that kind of coverage, whether you were hanging wallpaper or welding overnight. Just a standard protection for the ownership put in place by building management; they want to be able to wash their hands of ANYTHING that happens as a result of someone's else's activities.

Larry

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

Very typical in corporate America. If you want to play hotels and corporate events you will run into it all the time. Most bands are like you and don't want to mess with it. That is great for me, I get all those gigs.

You will also get paid by check and have to provide a tax payer ID number. Again, most bands don't want to mess with it.

As a band, you need to decide whether it is worth it to you. If you have the insurance and tax payer ID number you can get paid more. But if it is just one or two gigs it probably isn't worth it.

5. 80tiger

80tiger Gold Supporting Member

I could understand why, after listening to me, they would require a liability policy. :)

TDJMB, nickfox, awp and 48 others like this.
  6. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Factor it into costs when negotiating remuneration. Standard OP for corporate.

Abram4235, GusFowler, DaveNJ and 4 others like this.
  7. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

I suppose I will play ball if they can guarantee enough gigs to make it worthwhile but it seems like a hassle to make a few hundred dollars.

Abram4235, soulman969 and Lucidology like this.
  8. stevel

stevel Member

So, your fee just went up $200.

9. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Ever since GG Allin played the Holiday Inn corporate gigs haven't been the same

Gevalt, ggwwbb, jazz-master and 37 others like this.
  10. straightblues

straightblues Member

Total hassle. Not worth it for one gig. But if you do it, it will open up a whole new arena for gigs for your band. Not just at that venue, but other similar venues as well. Do you want to be a pro band or not? This is a pretty big dividing line. This becomes a real business, not something you do under the table for low amounts of money. (Pro not meaning ability, but a professional company). You will need to operate like a real business. I can guarantee that if you start playing big concerts, they will also require similar insurance as well.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  11. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

Not worth it for one gig ... You can always counter by saying your band doesn't play gigs that require liability insurance and ask for a waiver. Or that gigs requiring a liability policy of that size require a $1,000 surcharge for the gig and see what they say.

12. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

"Smoke on the Water..."
    Murphy's Law applies here. My wife has a policy, even though she could barely hurt anyone in her sole proprietorship. But, it's a cost of doing business. Just up your price and tell them why. Stuff happens...

Tom Gross and derekd like this.
  13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

It's your choice ...
    Certainly a gamble ...
    There might or must be a booking agency who books entertainment there regularly & have taken care of that already ...
    If so ... Have them book you there instead & give them the're due percentage ...

JiveTurkey likes this.
  14. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

It should be worth it in case you go rock star and chainsaw through a wall or throw a TV out a top floor window

AuntieDiluvian and hoosier1929 like this.
  15. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Played hotels and never had anyone ask the bands about that...

FFOGG likes this.
  16. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

Yeah... The cost of doing business. If they need you be be corporate then make sure you are getting corporate rates.

Abram4235, GT100, LordByron and 5 others like this.
  17. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Do they want you to cover the ASCAP fees too??

GT100 and LordByron like this.
  18. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Maybe they think you are literally going to bring down the house

:dunno

:p

edgie, Abram4235, guitarjazz and 6 others like this.
  19. jim683

jim683 Member

something like this happened locally a few years ago. A company was hired to do some work at a local mfg facility and was there on a weekend welding some equipment. sparks caused a massive fire that destroyed the entire plant. Sad part was this plant was the major employer in the area and didn't rebuild the plant

larry1096 likes this.
  20. straightblues

straightblues Member

This really isn't the main concern. The main concern is having a band member breaking a leg on the load in, and claiming they were an employee of the hotel. Then disability issues arise and trial lawyers have a field day. So the hotel eliminates all that liability with a waiver and insurance policy.