My duo is required to have $1,000,000 liability insurance to play a gig?

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
I've never run into this before so maybe someone can tell me if this is normal. Got a gig at a Renaissance hotel which is part of Marriott for my acoustic duo. I'm not surprised that I need to be added to their vendor system but a requirement is to have a 1 Million dollar liability insurance policy in place. One place I checked costs $199 a year or $59 for a show good for 3 days. Should I have this type insurance anyway? I also have a full band that does some club work but mostly private parties, weddings and corporate events. In all my years I've never run into this before.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I've never run into that either. You can ask for an exception--my firm does that all the time. Sometimes they make it, some times they don't.

larry1096

I used to work at a large office building, and anyone doing *any* type of 'work' there had to have a COI with that kind of coverage, whether you were hanging wallpaper or welding overnight. Just a standard protection for the ownership put in place by building management; they want to be able to wash their hands of ANYTHING that happens as a result of someone's else's activities.

Larry

straightblues

Very typical in corporate America. If you want to play hotels and corporate events you will run into it all the time. Most bands are like you and don't want to mess with it. That is great for me, I get all those gigs.

You will also get paid by check and have to provide a tax payer ID number. Again, most bands don't want to mess with it.

As a band, you need to decide whether it is worth it to you. If you have the insurance and tax payer ID number you can get paid more. But if it is just one or two gigs it probably isn't worth it.

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
Very typical in corporate America. If you want to play hotels and corporate events you will run into it all the time. Most bands are like you and don't want to mess with it. That is great for me, I get all those gigs.

You will also get paid by check and have to provide a tax payer ID number. Again, most bands don't want to mess with it.

As a band, you need to decide whether it is worth it to you. If you have the insurance and tax payer ID number you can get paid more. But if it is just one or two gigs it probably isn't worth it.
I suppose I will play ball if they can guarantee enough gigs to make it worthwhile but it seems like a hassle to make a few hundred dollars.

straightblues

I suppose I will play ball if they can guarantee enough gigs to make it worthwhile but it seems like a hassle to make a few hundred dollars.
Total hassle. Not worth it for one gig. But if you do it, it will open up a whole new arena for gigs for your band. Not just at that venue, but other similar venues as well. Do you want to be a pro band or not? This is a pretty big dividing line. This becomes a real business, not something you do under the table for low amounts of money. (Pro not meaning ability, but a professional company). You will need to operate like a real business. I can guarantee that if you start playing big concerts, they will also require similar insurance as well.

Last edited:

HeyMrTeleMan

Colonel of Truth
"Smoke on the Water..."
Murphy's Law applies here. My wife has a policy, even though she could barely hurt anyone in her sole proprietorship. But, it's a cost of doing business. Just up your price and tell them why. Stuff happens...

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
It's your choice ...
Certainly a gamble ...
There might or must be a booking agency who books entertainment there regularly & have taken care of that already ...
If so ... Have them book you there instead & give them the're due percentage ...

jim683

I used to work at a large office building, and anyone doing *any* type of 'work' there had to have a COI with that kind of coverage, whether you were hanging wallpaper or welding overnight. Just a standard protection for the ownership put in place by building management; they want to be able to wash their hands of ANYTHING that happens as a result of someone's else's activities.

Larry
something like this happened locally a few years ago. A company was hired to do some work at a local mfg facility and was there on a weekend welding some equipment. sparks caused a massive fire that destroyed the entire plant. Sad part was this plant was the major employer in the area and didn't rebuild the plant

straightblues

It should be worth it in case you go rock star and chainsaw through a wall or throw a TV out a top floor window
This really isn't the main concern. The main concern is having a band member breaking a leg on the load in, and claiming they were an employee of the hotel. Then disability issues arise and trial lawyers have a field day. So the hotel eliminates all that liability with a waiver and insurance policy.