my ears are broken & i'm kinda glad

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by no-bo, Mar 23, 2015.

1. no-bo

no-bo Member

this is in the effects forum since pedals is what i obsess about most.

i think my ears are broken.

i used to be able to hear huge differences between different brands of buffers, cables, whatever. the slightest thing. change 1 same length patch cable & i swore i could hear the difference. i didn't want to. it made life difficult. i'm the kind of guy who would rather just play a multi-effects straight to the board for convenience but i can't because of the tone.

little things used to drive me bonkers. like having a boss buffer in my chain. it made everything sound so honkey & quacky.

recently, i've found i can't anymore. i don't think my hearing has gotten worse, in terms of decibels. but every brand of buffer sounds good now. & i don't notice an extra couple of feet in cabling in my chain.

it's such a relief. i can just play for fun now. i just hope this doesn't mean i'm going deaf. but i don't think so.

thought i'd share that.

2. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

PSYCHO acoustics.

3. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

It's called hearing with your wallet.

4. jordane93

jordane93 Member

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I think it means your hearing has focused more on music and less on this forum. Congrats!

6. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

To remain relevant you need a new set of boutique ears. Check the emporium.:bonk

7. JParry335

JParry335 Member

I think this nails it.
    I find myself going down the same path. Been through so many pedals and it really comes down to, they all sound good. Some better than others obviously but there is no "magic" box.
    Make the music. Pedals are only tools to build the wall.
    Congratulations on your ears breaking!

8. meowmers

meowmers Member

Blasphemy!!

Shun the non believer!! Shun....

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

My concept is we each have a tone in our head. When we play, we work to dial that tone in. It is what makes us sound essentially the same on rigs of various quality.
    If I plugged into a nice Matchless or a vintage Fender, the people that listen to me play regularly probably wouldn't notice much difference since I would dial it in to sound like "me" and my touch/phrasing wouldn't change much.

10. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

Hahaha, exactly.. I was set free by this about 2 years ago..

11. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

It's mind over matter.
    If you don't mind, it don't matter.
    And the audience only cares about your shoes...

12. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I have tried different cables, buffers, et. al., and found what I wanted. I tune each rig to the basic sound I want using the different toys I have to get the tone where I want it.
    Using all of the info here can be a bad thing or a good thing. You just have to understand what you want and how to get it.

After you have the toys to get you your sound, you should be happy that you have control of it. Don't let it control you.

13. thecornman

thecornman Member

Good ears are the ones that have been trained to be able to put on any song and learn it and the ones that can hear changes when playing with others. If a person isn't there yet micro analizing the minor differences between cables and buffers is a waste of time. Most of those minor differences get lost in the band mix anyways.

14. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

Seriously! Some times when I listen to gear demo's before I play, my rig sounds like ****, but then I play it with a band or at a jam with other musicians, and I love my tone! I think we hear other tones as ideal and compare ourselves to them, subconsciously.