My ears or just guitars in general??

kldonegan

I believe he said this occurs on every guitar he plays, did he not??? If this is the case, the common denominator is the player, his ears, the tuner, and not the instrument. No?

I was responding to 101Volts and not the OP. OP's issue sounds like he's just hearing the guitar for what it is... out of friggen tune. Well, all but that low E thing. That's weird!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
One more question.. My Low E string. I actually have to tune it below standard or it is out of tune compared to the rest of the strings. When I tune it to perfect pitch (says the tu-2 and the one i just downloaded), then its actually sharp when I play chords. And I am not sure whats causing it to come through on the tuner that way because if I play the open high E string and tune it it, it sounds good, but stil comes in Flat on the tuner.
could indeed be setup issues, but the thing is, that low E may well be out of tune with itself!

a bad string, or one that's sitting on bad nut and saddle slots, can actually have its upper harmonics be a little sharp compared to its own fundamental. your tuner reads the fundamental, but your ear hears the upper harmonics more.

this is especially true of bigger, lower-tuned strings and shorter-scale instruments.

piano tuners live in a whole world of this phenomenon, where they have to decide which set of harmonics on a given string they want to be in tune with other sets of harmonics on other given strings!

3 Mile Stone

Silver Supporting Member
It's time to go to the next level and learn the tricks to always make it sound like your guitar is in tune. You want to fret certain strings/intervals harder than others or bend certain strings so that your guitar sounds in tune.

This is correct.

rob2001

could indeed be setup issues, but the thing is, that low E may well be out of tune with itself!

a bad string, or one that's sitting on bad nut and saddle slots, can actually have its upper harmonics be a little sharp compared to its own fundamental. your tuner reads the fundamental, but your ear hears the upper harmonics more.

this is especially true of bigger, lower-tuned strings and shorter-scale instruments.

piano tuners live in a whole world of this phenomenon, where they have to decide which set of harmonics on a given string they want to be in tune with other sets of harmonics on other given strings!

No kidding??? Thats insane!!

You learn something every day....thanks for this one!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom