My Echopark Guitars Nightmare

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Crshngdstryr, Apr 30, 2019.

1. nowhere

nowhere Member

I kept on hoping that Gabe would actually do the right thing and that hope was given a bit of a boost when Cholula69 mentioned the parts had been delivered (after months of waiting). The two bouts of social media foolishness made me more doubtful. Actually listening to that interview podcast though left me feeling that it was unlikely Gabe was ever going to do the right thing. When Gabe was given pretty much free rein to talk I think I got a look at the abusive, dissembling personality that the Echopark owners, I mean victims, here have encountered.

Looking at those pictures Cholula69 posted of his guitar I have no idea what Gabe could do to fix it even if he tried - it has problems that would require a skilled luthier to rectify.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    cmatthes, Emigre, cholula69 and 3 others like this.
  2. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

You hit the nail on the head on several levels. First, as soon as the delivery times he said he was going to adhere to came and went the red flags went up. He never once asked for delivery information or gave me any updates. True to his MO all the communication was on my part.

After that, he gave his now (in)famous line: Don't rush me. It'll be done when it's done. Then he started making these paranoid requests such as signing an NDA, getting the Southsider first for inspection and approval. Stating how he has to protect himself.

I should have known it was too good to be true. I gave up on this deal ever happening and Gabbe proving himself to be a liar.

Edited to keep within the forum rules.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    macmax77, nixpix, nowhere and 13 others like this.
  3. cholula69

That is just it. The guitar can't be repaired, nor is his certificate of authenticity worth anything more than the paper it's printed on. They're just a bunch of pretty words to him that sound good. He never expected to actually be taken up on it. Let history show that when it came time for Gabbe to honor his promise, he failed.

He did not nor will not do one thing of what he said he would. He will he never make good unless it involves personal gain. He does not have the skills to make this type of guitar. What he does have is a lack of empathy towards others, coupled with displays of abnormal moral conduct and an inability to conform with the norms of society. In a nutshell, that is Gabbe.

macmax77, nixpix, willyboy and 12 others like this.
  4. Algebraist

Algebraist Member

That's just contemptuous, to say that to a customer at a coffee shop would be bad enough, but to the buyer of high end, expensive luxury goods is more than rude, it's contempt and arrogance. He probably thinks because he has 33k followers fawning over him on Instagram that he can be sassy and get away with it, well that 33k can very quickly disappear, social media 'fans' are a fickle bunch, they aren't loyal when they become aware of a controversy that makes them look like fools for liking someone.

That said, assuming he does have 33k followers and they're not largely bots, then amongst that 33k suckers there might be a buyer for your guitar, I still think you should sell it to one of his fan boys.

cmatthes, macmax77, nowhere and 4 others like this.
  5. JPH118

JPH118 Member

And before anyone chimes in with the “second chance” stuff, he’s already had many chances to prove he’s moved beyond the above, and failed. Every spurned customer was another chance.

6. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

#EchoParkGuitarsReview

Gilky, Thumpalumpacus and chumbucket like this.
  7. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Ugh, the “second chance” crowd. Gotta love their obliviousness!

“Um, actually it’s been more like 57 chances by now, bud. But thanks for the uninformed commentary!”

nowhere and chumbucket like this.
  8. Mooster

Mooster Member

If the Gibson deal has been put on ice, is Gabe still allowed to make Gibson replicas with the “Kalamazoo Spec” and around the same time as the Gibson announcement, the Downtowner Carve Top was announced as to be discontinued, is that back on?

nowhere and chumbucket like this.
  9. LTE

LTE Member

Just wondering, cholula said Gabbe is a convicted felon, what was he charged with?

chumbucket likes this.
  10. Mooster

Mooster Member

Petty luthiery

Gilky, cmatthes, macmax77 and 28 others like this.
  11. Deven Patel

Deven Patel Member

i would love to press like to infinity and beyond.

public nuisance

thanks to van halen i know this code.

5150 refers to the California law code for the temporary, involuntary psychiatric commitment of individuals who present a danger to themselves or others due to signs of mental illness. It has been more generally applied to people who are considered threateningly unstable or “crazy.”

macmax77 and chumbucket like this.
  12. cholula69

See post #834

13. Flying_Milkman

Flying_Milkman Silver Supporting Member

Finally got to the last page on this thing and really feeling for Cholula. I remember seeing these guitars cross across my radar in like 2016/17 and being initially intrigued - but after seeing prices of 5k for a Tele copy I just couldn't justify it. Glad I didn't but sad to see so many people taken advantage of. #EchoParkGuitarReviews

14. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Guys if you want the thread to stay open the personal attacks need to stop.
    We are not approving every post, and we're getting reports (from known users, not astroturfed or otherwise) pointing out bashing and other rule breaking behavior.
    Stick to facts, have the discussion but the name calling, bashing, accusations of legal issues without proof, etc. is not OK.

Please review the rules

"If you feel the need to mention a bad business deal you’ve had with a company or individual, keep it professional. Do not get personal and don’t attack the people involved, describe the situation factually. Personal attacks and insults can draw infractions, even if you’re right. We cannot verify claims of a bad business deal and such posts are the sole responsibility of the author."

15. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

EchoPark Guitars are Terrible and Nobody Should Buy Them

#theguitarsspeakforthemselves
    #echoparkguitarsreview

16. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Wonderfully stated.

17. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Does this thread count as an Echopark Guitars review?

#EPGATANSBT

chumbucket, cholula69 and Sociophile like this.
  18. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

:rimshot Well played sir.

19. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

While funny, I would not use the word "petty" to describe Gabbe's business practices and how he treats his victims.

20. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

[​IMG]

burningyen, RayRay and hookakat1 like this.