My Echopark Guitars Nightmare

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Crshngdstryr, Apr 30, 2019.

1. nowhere

nowhere Member

If Gabe was playing rock and roll I think most of us would be fine with him breaking rules. What he's doing though is making expensive guitars and touting them as the absolute apex of expert craftsmanship and then delivering (sometimes very late and sometimes with a side order of unpleasant behavior) instruments that vary from apparently quite good to virtually unplayable.

He's also still offering "Amazon rosewood" for fretboards too I notice. Quite a trick seeing as rosewood doesn't grow anywhere near the Amazon basin.

2. PhilB61

PhilB61 Member

Guess I'll never cut it as an EP employee. Even when assembling a mere Warmoth body, neck, etc, I made sure to actually install the bridge first, after making sure I was centered with the center of the neck, and *then* mark where the pickguard should be to centre everything. I made sure to actually wire up the entire pickguard, because the pickup locations might affect something as well. I even taped and drilled pilot holes, on a drill press. I then measured the same centre line for the strap button on the back of the body, and drove every screw in straight, by hand, and without stripping any.

I must be crazy!

3. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps y'all have heard of sarcasm? I can't believe I actually have to point that out...

4. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

[QUOTE="He's also still offering "Amazon rosewood" for fretboards too I notice. Quite a trick seeing as rosewood doesn't grow anywhere near the Amazon basin.[/QUOTE]

Naw, dude...he ORDERED it from Amazon. Gotta keep up!

5. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

You are giving him WAY too much credit. The only kind of artist he is is a scam artist...the fact that he's been able to con people into parting with serious money for half-@$$ed work says all we need to know.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

To be fair, the pick guard seems well cut, the strings are centered on the pole pieces of the pickups and the fingerboard dots seem to line up pretty good. It's actually a pretty decent looking guitar. He's not the guy I'd go to with $7.5k for a Korina build, but I've seen worse.

Fantastic cook likes this.
  7. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

There are no string ferrules.

They’re just sitting in the wood...

WTF.

chumbucket and cmatthes like this.
  8. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Original Vs had small flat washers at the bottom of the counterbore for the ball-end.

9. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

Well, that clears that up. Thanks for the new knowledge, Ron. I thought that was kind of amazing and defied all logic and reason, but then, you know, If there’s any thread where that could happen...

Aaaaanyway.....

We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

nowhere likes this.
  10. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Perhaps he bought the rosewood at Amazon…

larry1096 and Mr Fingers like this.
  11. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

That transfers the vibration much better.

12. magnus02

magnus02 Supporting Member

Is it me (or my lack of knowledge) or is the paint super splotchy looking?

Or just a lighting thing?

13. Algebraist

Algebraist Member

I'm not positive but I think that's just a combination of reflections from the light in the room, and the photograph being low resolution.

14. nowhere

nowhere Member

I knew when you were saying that it was meant sarcastically, because of your previous posts. There have also been plenty of posts here that said essentially the same thing but meant it seriously. I should have prefaced mine with a "You're joking but this has been offered as a serious defense of EP's build..."

JPH118 likes this.
  15. nowhere

nowhere Member

Naw, dude...he ORDERED it from Amazon. Gotta keep up![/QUOTE]

Touche!

As I slogged through the EP website one of the things that surprised me was the amazing variety and quantity of rare and old woods offered. I was reminded of a CARtoons article where someone (Krass or Bernie?) had found the ultimate source for rare and NOS parts. Turned out the guy had built a time machine - and was using it exclusively for zipping back to the past to buy things like Lincoln Zephyr headlights and Ardun heads. Maybe Gabe is a Timelord?

cmatthes likes this.
  16. LTE

LTE Member

[​IMG]

Cup of Cheese and Emigre like this.
  17. LTE

LTE Member

Just so you know, when I googled "echo park guitar review," this thread is the first result.

18. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

Why yes, indeed it is.

How ‘bout that.

Not gonna lie. I do like the colors in the finish of that red sunburst Southsider underneath in the Guitar Player review. Pickguard shape and control layout, not so much.

Just sayin’.

19. Halsey

Halsey Member

Not even in the top 25 results for me. Lots of variables for how Google serves you up stuff based on their tracking of your habits.

20. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Reminder not to get this thread closed by keyword spamming.