My Echopark Guitars Nightmare

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Crshngdstryr, Apr 30, 2019.

1. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

So just to quote for those who don't want to sit thru the video:

"I was told I was putting rock star clients ahead of the simple man, the everyday player, the guy who was really investing in me and and I said those people go **** yourself because its the artist the reason we even aspire to wake up in the ****ing morning and even do this".

:dunno That's a serious statement.

edit: to be fair I think he's telling the people complaining he's putting artists first to GFTO but a bunch of those people ARE his customers.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    saltbird, lexreverb, 56Tweed and 10 others like this.
  2. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

Not speaking of the person in question. At all. But about the words they said:

That is no doubt the most arrogant statement I’ve ever heard. Anyone who isn’t an A-List musical star who is thinking at all about buying any Echopark product should see/hear this video clip before making the decision to plunk down a big chunk of their hard-earned moolah. Then they can decide for themselves if someone who says things like that is someone worth doing business with.

cholula69, JPH118, DC1 and 2 others like this.
  3. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

Except to find out if cholula69 ever got satisfaction, I really don't think there is anything more that can be said. Can't be any clearer than that, and if you're not a rockstar and go ahead anyway, you have been warned by the builder himself.

nowhere likes this.
  4. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Talk about blowing smoke up one's own arse.

Pano-dilzapp, cmatthes and Rico Alan like this.
  5. Mooster

Mooster Member

To be fair, he continues to explain that he puts the rockstars first so they can give him mystical feedback, Gabe becomes wiser, and all customers receive better guitars. I.e. “Go F yourself, you should be grateful.”

chumbucket, JPH118, shallbe and 2 others like this.
  6. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

In these times of uncertainty, I'm going to focus on the second half of that sentiment.

I'm grateful that I have never owned or played an Echopark guitar.

Anyone else?

chumbucket, saltbird, DC1 and 7 others like this.
  7. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Yep. The idea isn't exactly flawed but the execution and attitude behind it leaves a bit to be desired.

JPH118 and nowhere like this.
  8. larry1096

larry1096 Member

Well, since the link to this thread is still up in that Echopark video from a week ago, I went ahead and posted a link to it in that new one. Let's see if their media team is any sharper than Gabbe's.... :)

Larry

chumbucket, noley and nowhere like this.
  9. nowhere

nowhere Member

"its the artist the reason we even aspire to wake up in the ****ing morning and even do this"

Unless that artist is Joe B apparently - he got the "GFY" from Gabe too - after Gabe (for reasons that somehow seemed to make it look like a good idea in his mind at least) went and trash talked the Epiphone Joe B model saying on social media that it was fake junk made in China... at the same time EP was entering a licensing arrangement with Gibson.:facepalm

I have to wonder which of the legends he makes magical instruments for gave him the feedback that inspired him to such innovative heights as crooked pickups, dead electronics, sloppy routing, sawdust and wood shavings inside the guitar, cutting-board thick tops on archtops, crooked inlays, stripped screw heads, crooked bridge mount screws, strings rubbing the tuners, twice-notched bridge saddles etc?

saltbird, JPH118, Uncle Bob and 6 others like this.
  10. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Supporting Member

If his MO is putting the artist first, then are these mistakes and quality issues on the guitars that are out there in the public intentional, or intentionally not corrected because "F you, you're not an artist" so this is what you get? You get quality and attention to detail if he considers you an artist, the rest of you get scraps. Actual scraps.

If this is true then he actually can build a great guitar, unlike some people here believe. He just chooses not to because of who you are.

chumbucket and Fantastic cook like this.
  11. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

While I'm pretty shocked that he would publicly admit that he has a policy of putting "artists" before us regular folk because the artists are somehow imbued with some secret knowledge the rest of us are not, I can't say I'm surprised that he actually thinks that. At one point, Gabe told me (verbatim) "I don't know what your rush is. You're not a world-class artist or anything." Mind you, this was 2-years after the guitar was supposed to have been delivered. To be honest, I've heard Gabe play, and I would venture to say that 95% of his "regular folk" clients are better players than him, so it's weird seeing him put "rock stars" on a pedestal.

JPH118 and nowhere like this.
  12. nowhere

nowhere Member

That wretched promo video and the audio interview linked earlier gave me some idea of what it must have felt like for you guys who dealt with Gabe personally. I read what you and others said about interactions with him but hearing the man himself say things like this hits harder.

I notice their dealer page is down to six. Two of them show no EP's in stock (with one I think their website is broken though as it doesn't show any musical instruments in stock of any type), The rest of the four together have 11 in total counting new and used. It didn't take close scrutiny of the pictures to find questionable workmanship on several of them.

Crshngdstryr and cmatthes like this.
  13. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

In the long since deleted thread, there was talk of how Mr Gabe gave the reasoning for preferential artist treatment as "It's increasing the value of the brand, man" or something to that effect. I remember people saying that he felt they should be glad he was focusing on the big names, so that then every EPG would be much more valuable.

JPH118 likes this.
  14. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

Dunning-Kruger meets guerrilla marketing.

silentbob, Benz2112 and outtahear like this.
  15. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

I believe this is actually how it really is.

Quoting myself from page 87, because of relevance to current discussion. Makes even more sense now.

JPH118 and FiestaRed like this.
  16. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

In a way, that’s even more reprehensible. To intentionally give less than your best to paying customers because you’ve decided that they don’t matter as much as the A-list players.

17. magnus02

magnus02 Supporting Member

I'm FAR from convinced that he has the ability to build better when he wants to. The videos showing his construction techniques are way too telling.

18. PhilB61

PhilB61 Member

In their defence, not only did the owners of the video not delete your comment, but they actually replied!

19. hookakat1

hookakat1 Member

WTAF?

20. 2020jan08

2020jan08 Member

So Gabe should get special treatment / be excused because of his condition? This is getting beyond weird.

chumbucket and JPH118 like this.