• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

My Echopark Guitars Nightmare

pattste

This was made for Margo Price according to their IG post. Gabbe has graduated to not giving an eff about the stars, either.
What in the world brings these pro musicians to chose Echopark and Gabe out of all the builders out there? Similarly, I cringe everytime I see a rig rundown and an artist sings the praise of their Vertex pedal or even their custom pedalboard. Where did that reputation come from? How exactly do people like Gabe become a first call builder to the stars? It boggles the mind.

scottcw

Low rent hobbyist
Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, you can often get away with being a jerk or being bad at your job. It takes a real Gabbe to go for both.
And he brings the hat trick of not being on time. Another marketing pitch, "Get your guitar several years late, questionably built, rarely functional, AND we will throw in irrational abuse at no extra charge. But we will charge extra for options you didn't order. So there's that."

nowhere

And he brings the hat trick of not being on time. Another marketing pitch, "Get your guitar several years late, questionably built, rarely functional, AND we will throw in irrational abuse at no extra charge. But we will charge extra for options you didn't order. So there's that."
Let's not forget the "We will charge you extra for an option you did order... but we'll put a cheaper option on your guitar and keep the extra money anyway" That happened to at least one thread participant with a bridge he ordered on his EP.

nowhere

What in the world brings these pro musicians to chose Echopark and Gabe out of all the builders out there? Similarly, I cringe everytime I see a rig rundown and an artist sings the praise of their Vertex pedal or even their custom pedalboard. Where did that reputation come from? How exactly do people like Gabe become a first call builder to the stars? It boggles the mind.
I've wondered that. For myself I know that it was reading some glowing magazine and online articles about EP that got me interested. At that time he already had some name players with his stuff. From what we've heard from other people involved in the early days of EP he managed to get noticed by some pros through his business associates and it grew from there. As I understand it in the early days there were also a few really qualified and respected craftsmen involved which probably was a big factor in attracting local pros to try EP out. I didn't have an inkling that EP's were anything but great guitars until I read the stories of customers here on TGP and saw pictures of shoddy work. Shoddy work which is amazingly easy to find evidence of online with many EP guitars up for sale.

As for Vertex, well with Mason it at least seems he was delivering products which actually worked well, just that he was lying about their origin, capabilities, his own history and was also charging inflated prices for them. If Gabe had relabeled Squires or Samicks and charged $3K-$10K for them at least his customers would have got a playable guitar in a reasonable time! On the other hand he did issue a public mea culpa so you would think the artists who use his stuff would know he's an admitted con man and that he has continued to do some questionable thing (ethically and technically) since then. Just like with EP, Mason has also had Joe B. call him out online too so there's not much excuse for a pro not knowing they may be wading into a sewer working with either of these guys.

mcuguitar

Silver Supporting Member
a wise friend once told me, there are three variables in everyone... being on time, doing your job well, and overall personality/likability. If one of those qualities is lacking, the other two can compensate for it. If two are lacking, that one thing better be amazing, and if it slips just a little, you’re finished.
I’m not convinced that applies to playing live music. Being late to a gig will lose you a job, no matter how nice you are, or how well you play, and I learned that from my teachers at GIT and Berklee. Out of the thousands of gigs I’ve had, I’ve only been late to one, and by late I mean I got there five minutes before downbeat.

JPH118

I’m not convinced that applies to playing live music. Being late to a gig will lose you a job, no matter how nice you are, or how well you play, and I learned that from my teachers at GIT and Berklee. Out of the thousands of gigs I’ve had, I’ve only been late to one, and by late I mean I got there five minutes before downbeat.
sure, the importance varies from one profession to another... I’ll take a guy who’s on time and plays well even if he’s a total d-bag for a showcase gig, otherwise I’ll trade talent for a likable personality, but yeah, being there & ready is non-negotiable in that arena. Overall, I’ve found it to be a pretty accurate roadmap.

Mr Fingers

That infamous control cavity replacement plate may have been changed from 4 holes to 3 because it's clear that 3 will do the job and the general principle of simplicity applies. I like the 3-holer. But as for the holes not lining up, well... that's just pathetic. If he freestyles the holes on each individual guitar, he should have sent you the new cover undrilled, and you coild have easily transferred the hole locations from the old plate. Or he could have asked you to send him the plate. This kind of small crap drives people nuts.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Silver Supporting Member
That infamous control cavity replacement plate may have been changed from 4 holes to 3 because it's clear that 3 will do the job and the general principle of simplicity applies. I like the 3-holer. But as for the holes not lining up, well... that's just pathetic. If he freestyles the holes on each individual guitar, he should have sent you the new cover undrilled, and you coild have easily transferred the hole locations from the old plate. Or he could have asked you to send him the plate. This kind of small crap drives people nuts.
Lets not confuse things by introducing logic or good craftsmanship practices to the conversation. :rolleyes:

John Quinn

The rumor is that he had real luthiers build the guitars - real techs wire them up and tune up the frets and neck. And those guitars he gave to certain stars in exchange for some good words.

Mooster

It’s on his IG page. Look for the neck with the divots in the wood. It’s about 10 rows from the top.
Much like the circle of life, in the back of some of the photos I can see stacks of body and neck blanks in the process of getting made. And then flicking through the photos I see past builds go through the process before eventually being presented as complete. Then I can see them later being posted on Reverb with; “amazing guitar, best ever, reluctant sale, not desperate to get rid of it.” And then I eventually see them with a 24% discount, and months go by, then years go by, and then it’s sold leaving room for the next batch...

Trending Topics