• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

My Echopark Guitars Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
Not to de rail, and I’ll post a review in a new thread, but I wanted to share what THIS thread has helped me find... it’s always good to have some positives come of out quite a bit of negativity, so I wanted to share.

Just took posesssion of this guitar, from a not so well know builder, Keith Horne of Marvin Guitars. He, Paul Slagle, and Mike Lipe, used to collaborate quite a bit- and were good friends

it’s got its own vibe going on, with Arcane Ultratron’s and really is a spectacular instrument! Out of seeing these outlier designs, I decided I wanted to try out something similar,but with an acceptable end game.

Couldn’t be happier.

If you want something hung similar in the vein to an EP, but with satisfaction guaranteed, and a bit easier on the wallet, give him a shout.

Echopark can suck it.

Attachments

Deven Patel

Not to de rail, and I’ll post a review in a new thread, but I wanted to share what THIS thread has helped me find... it’s always good to have some positives come of out quite a bit of negativity, so I wanted to share.

Just took posesssion of this guitar, from a not so well know builder, Keith Horne of Marvin Guitars. He, Paul Slagle, and Mike Lipe, used to collaborate quite a bit- and were good friends

it’s got its own vibe going on, with Arcane Ultratron’s and really is a spectacular instrument! Out of seeing these outlier designs, I decided I wanted to try out something similar,but with an acceptable end game.

Couldn’t be happier.

If you want something hung similar in the vein to an EP, but with satisfaction guaranteed, and a bit easier on the wallet, give him a shout.

Echopark can suck it.
Not to de-rail.

OMG what are the odds, I am waiting on Keith to ship my guitar tomorrow.

Keith has some serious skills building by hand like Paul Slagle and Mike Lipe with attention to detail with modern vibe designs. In full disclosure I met Keith through Mike since Keith was helping by finishing some guitars for NAMM 2019 when Mike was ill in the hospital. It speaks volumes about Keiths skill for Mike to trust him with builds.

This is what echosnark and gabbe should have been doing from the beginning. No BS nor hype just a guy building quality guitars without the drama.

Attachments

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
Not to de-rail.

OMG what are the odds, I am waiting on Keith to ship my guitar tomorrow.

Keith has some serious skills building by hand like Paul Slagle and Mike Lipe with attention to detail with modern vibe designs. In full disclosure I met Keith through Mike since Keith was helping by finishing some guitars for NAMM 2019 when Mike was ill in the hospital. It speaks volumes about Keiths skill for Mike to trust him with builds.

This is what echosnark and gabbe should have been doing from the beginning. No BS nor hype just a guy building quality guitars without the drama.
haha- wow! That is a real looker. Yeah, Paul and Mike were both the backbone of all the O-G EP builds.

Feel blessed to carry on the spirit of what these builds really should be about... Discovery.

After my earlier post today, Keith actually CALLED me and asked after a few days with it how I was liking the guitar, if I need any modifications, just making sure I was... happy !

He isn’t on here, at least I don’t Know if he is. But that was a Really nice thing to do.

Almost brought tears to my eyes.

congrats on the guitar!

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm obviously not interested in purchasing one now thanks to the warnings and horror stories of fellow TGPers over the years but I'm genuinely interested in hearing from anyone who has tried a Strat style made when Paul and Mike were around. Some of those "O-G era" S style guitars looked great.

I know a picture can be deceiving, especially with a Strat style that is relic'd and when one is dreamy eyed for a new guitar! Haha

I feel it's easier for a Strat style to look better (not play of course) in pics than his other creations where he was making the pick guard and some other parts where the imperfections are more obvious than with a S style where one can use for readily available parts, like pickguards and hadware. Buying full Callaham kits come to mind.

I was also leary for some reason of wall the "old stash" Korina, ash and Brazilian RW he was touting on the website that he had. I wouldn't want to be left holding the bag if it was found out it was common stock production wood.

I will say however, I really like his headstock for S styles. This is what I'm talking about. I mean it looks to shelf.

images.jpeg

Deven Patel

I'm obviously not interested in purchasing one now thanks to the warnings and horror stories of fellow TGPers over the years but I'm genuinely interested in hearing from anyone who has tried a Strat style made when Paul and Mike were around. Some of those "O-G era" S style guitars looked great.

I know a picture can be deceiving, especially with a Strat style that is relic'd and when one is dreamy eyed for a new guitar! Haha

I feel it's easier for a Strat style to look better (not play of course) in pics than his other creations where he was making the pick guard and some other parts where the imperfections are more obvious than with a S style where one can use for readily available parts, like pickguards and hadware. Buying full Callaham kits come to mind.

I was also leary for some reason of wall the "old stash" Korina, ash and Brazilian RW he was touting on the website that he had. I wouldn't want to be left holding the bag if it was found out it was common stock production wood.

I will say however, I really like his headstock for S styles. This is what I'm talking about. I mean it looks to shelf.

View attachment 304149
Stay away if you go back some pages where a strat style has pics of the trem cavity where gabbe routed wood out after the finish since the bridge block was hitting the body. That issue is part of a poorly made template which has not been corrected as I’m told. The neck is by Paul as well as the finish. Look for a used Pittman guitars by Paul.

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
Stay away if you go back some pages where a strat style has pics of the trem cavity where gabbe routed wood out after the finish since the bridge block was hitting the body. That issue is part of a poorly made template which has not been corrected as I’m told. The neck is by Paul as well as the finish. Look for a used Pittman guitars by Paul.
Thanks for the reply!! No way I'd ever consider one of Gabbe's!! Haha just took delivery of a Lentz Reserve S!

I'll check out Paul's stuff as those Korina/BRW necks look great. Hard to believe they are cobbled together with subpar bodies.

Any thoughts on the claims of the "old stash" woods?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
He's made dozens of guitars using that claim. Seems pretty darn unlikely that he still has all that old wood.

Deven Patel

Thanks for the reply!! No way I'd ever consider one of Gabbe's!! Haha just took delivery of a Lentz Reserve S!

I'll check out Paul's stuff as those Korina/BRW necks look great. Hard to believe they are cobbled together with subpar bodies.

Any thoughts on the claims of the "old stash" woods?
It’s been documented in earlier posts that it’s been used up or it never existed. I believe that it never existed just like his 10 year mentor ship with Leo fender which would have began when gabbe was 11-12 years old based upon Leo’s death and Gabbes employment with GL. I posted that mike told me that gabbe tried to sell another builder Brazilian rosewood fretboards while it was labeled Indian rosewood on the back. Everything is all hyperbolic with this guy. The Koa tops that he uses is technically part of the Koa family but mainly used in furniture. It’s become very difficult and expensive to source musical instrument Koa. So for him to have an unlimited source of old growth is improbable.

cholula69

Gold Supporting Member
It’s been documented in earlier posts that it’s been used up or it never existed. I believe that it never existed just like his 10 year mentor ship with Leo fender which would have began when gabbe was 11-12 years old based upon Leo’s death and Gabbes employment with GL. I posted that mike told me that gabbe tried to sell another builder Brazilian rosewood fretboards while it was labeled Indian rosewood on the back. Everything is all hyperbolic with this guy. The Koa tops that he uses is technically part of the Koa family but mainly used in furniture. It’s become very difficult and expensive to source musical instrument Koa. So for him to have an unlimited source of old growth is improbable.
The furniture wood source is probably most likely. In an interview with ToneQuest, gabbe states that he used to restore old homes and came across a lot of nice wood. From what I understand he salvaged a lot of that old furniture wood and repurposed it for use in guitar builds.

I can tell you that the Southsider I had was an anchor. It weighed close to 12 lbs on a scale. The response was that it was designed that way, with a thick top and heavy woods, to combat feedback. I called BS on that claim, as nothing on their previous webpage indicated that the guitar was made for hard rock.

I am sure there are a few good EP guitars floating around but that would be in spite of gabbe, not because of him. I had to have an acutal luthier go through both my EP to make them right.

bibletoter

Gold Supporting Member

View attachment 304149
I played this exact guitar at the music emporium. Not sure exactly how long ago...2016? I assume it was not built by Gabbe because it was actually a good guitar - well finished, playable, and sounded solid plugged in. It was priced north of 6k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics