My Echopark Guitars Nightmare

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Crshngdstryr, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

Mine showed up with buffer scratches all over the body, as well as nicks, dings and gouges in various spots. Terrible.

JPH118 and Hexum like this.
  2. Hexum

Hexum Member

Somehow, I have an easy time believing that.

JPH118 likes this.
  3. AmplifyMe

AmplifyMe Supporting Member

I think it is a new classification for relic finishing. “Dirty Shop Relic”
    In keeping with the hard core punk themed, lawyer priced guitar marketing you have...
    1. Dirty Shop Relic
    2. Studio Relic
    3. Texas Road House Relic
    4. Hell’s Angels Relic
    5. The One Night Stand Relic ... a.k.a. The Pubic Paisley with Cloudy Nitro Finish.

Need to submit my copyright for these soon to become industry standards!

macmax77 and Hexum like this.
  4. AmplifyMe

Ouch!!!
    Who has time to let paint dry when you’re an artist.
    Takes my paintings over a month to dry!

That T is a Crook T. Sounds fantastic, looks fantastic, built with quality eye for detail. Only thing I would change is the headstock decal - don’t like the black outline around his name.
    Less than 1/2 in EPG dollars. Still big money for a bolt on, but everyone is charging so much these days. I will pay for artistry though with an eye towards detail and killer playability/tone.
    My two favorite - legit luthiers - are Asher & Thorn. I will alway buy from them site unseen used or order new.
    Well Ron is now heading the big boys shop, but at least I still have one option.
    I do love everything about the Crook too and if I wanted another traditional T-Style that is where I would look.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    macmax77, JPH118 and Hexum like this.
  5. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Just a suggestion, posting your email on an online forum is an invitation to scrapers, spiders, etc. to send spam.

AmplifyMe likes this.
  6. AmplifyMe

Got it thank you.

7. Halsey

Halsey Member

And this is proudly posted close up on his social media as an example of the brand!!?? Wow. Goodness.

cmatthes and R3deemed like this.
  8. hookakat1

hookakat1 Member

HEY! You leave super distortions out of this!

johngregson, xzacx and AmplifyMe like this.
  9. bibletoter

bibletoter Member

Please tell me #5 never happened!!! :0

istantodf likes this.
  10. Mooster

Mooster Member

Zoom in close on the neck pickup. Look at the distance of the screw to the left, then the distance of the screw to the right.

11. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

No need to zoom in.

12. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I think he heard the phrase 'cutting your teeth' in the industry and applied it to his pickguards...

Hell gnaw.

13. FreeBlues

FreeBlues Silver Supporting Member

I have no personal interest in EP guitars - never seen or played one - but I've followed this and the previous thread from start to now. Given all the (justifiable) negative comments here, I did a quick Google search on "Echopark Guitars," wanted to see if this thread came up.

Nope. Only links are to EP guitars and several positive reviews and Youtube demos.

So, except here on TGP, a buyer who isn't following this thread won't ever really know the real story. Should be a way to get a link to this thread to show up on a Google search.

14. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Member

Google is controlling search results to suit its world view - it's pro-Echopark. (I am glad that someone's voice computer - Alexis? - called the cops when he threatened to kill his wife but I find the implications very scary.)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    chumbucket, macmax77 and JPH118 like this.
  15. swallowedbyplants

swallowedbyplants Supporting Member

I'm down with the idea of guitars that are evocative of a sloppy and cheap punk aesthetic. And I'm down with the idea of 6k boutique guitars. But there's something deeply lame about the idea of charging 6k for a guitar with a sloppy and cheap punk aesthetic.

cmatthes, saltbird, lexreverb and 6 others like this.
  16. JPH118

JPH118 Member

On one hand, at least he posts honest pics and doesn’t hide behind a few pro-shot doctored-up Barbie dolls to sell his stuff.

On the other hand, he seems to think it’s ok to cut corners like this on $4k+ instruments, then calls it slander when he’s called out for it. Dude, it’s all right there... you earned it.

chumbucket, RayRay and magnus02 like this.
  17. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

This shows he just doesn't care and won't be changing a thing. If I had an EPG on order right now I would be asking for a refund ASAP.

RayRay and JPH118 like this.
  18. photoguy

photoguy Member

Out of curiosity, I did a google search for 'Echopark guitar review' and this thread came up on the first page.

19. EhasGAS

EhasGAS Member

I know I shouldn't, but I have to.

I have read all 45 pages and have no skin in the game. What has happened to the people that have been wronged is just not cool man. What "artist" does that to another artist?

Having said that, the attacks on Josh Homme are not f'n cool at all. I do not personally know Josh and this isn't about me being a fan, it's about attacking another human being that made a mistake and sincerely apologized for said mistake. I met Josh once at Virgin SF, when Queens played an in store, he was a super cool guy and indulged us for a bit. At the time of the incident that has been referenced in this thread I was working with one of his business associates/family friends and we had a discussion about what happened. Josh admitted to being out of his mind that night. Why don't you post that tearful video? Give the guy a break or is your house made of glass?

FiestaRed likes this.
  20. romo

romo Supporting Member

Since I posted the other video, here you go:

I didn't think of it as an attack on him, just pointing out what happened. It seemed relevant at the time since it illustrates the whole culture of disrespect and disregard for the customer surrounding the Echopark brand, of which Josh Homme is frequently flaunted as a celebrity endorser. But you are right, Josh apologized and I'm sure wouldn't do something like that again. Gabe, on the other hand, apparently issued some sort of apology but continues on with the same old behavior.