My effects chain? Any good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Apr 13, 2008.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hi guys!

I have never had the experts evaluate my pedalboard so I would love some feedback on what sucks and what could be improved in terms of tone sucking, punch, etc.

I run guitar - Boss Tuner - Jacques Meistersinger Chorus - ISP Decimator - amp(Egnater) -> In loop - Boss GE7 for solos (Mote Allums modded) - TC Electronic Nova delay.

I was thinking of an all in one unit to stop pedal dancing but I like quality tone and prefer analog and was considering an analog delay like the MXR Carbon Copy or Maxon AD-9 Pro.

Thoughts????? Thanks!

Rich

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

maybe put the chorus in the loop right before the delay and move the tuner to the end of the chain...thats what I would do

3. Idiot Martyr

Idiot Martyr Member

I'd put the noise gate in the effects loop, that's kinda the most logical place for it.

4. papersoul

papersoul Member

So the chorus in the loop before delay. I'll try it again but through it was better out front.
    Another person said the noise reduction in the loop as well. Finally...the tuner in the loop? I say that because at this point, everything is ending up in the loop! Can't the tuner just be out front???

THANKS! Big help.

5. papersoul

papersoul Member

So you would put the tuner in the loop at the end? That is interesting. I always keep the tuner out of the loop. Or do you mean have the tuner last before the amp and have all else in the loop, chorus, delay and noise reduction.

ISP says the noise reduction pedal should be after all the effects but I read it should be first so the effects have a clean signal to work with.

6. Sam801

Sam801 Member

The way I think of noise suppression. It should be after effects with the exception of delay and reverb. So it doesn't cut them off.

7. wc8485

wc8485 Member

Pretty sure he meant tuner at the end of the pedalboard chain. Awhile back there was a big thread on placement of the TU-2 thoughts/ideas.

Moved mine to the end, I do prefer it there...

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

ISP says the noise supressor should be before the effects to give the effects a clean signal, but I see what you mean. So, the tuner would be the last thing before the amp.

9. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

No, it's not.

10. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

guitar - Boss Tuner - Jacques Meistersinger Chorus - ISP Decimator - amp(Egnater) -> In loop - Boss GE7 for solos (Mote Allums modded) - TC Electronic Nova delay.

Guitar -A/B Box - A to Amp Input, B to Tuner
    Effects Loop Send - Chorus - Noise Gate - Delay - EQ - Effects Loop Return

dk

11. Willemdaguide

Willemdaguide Member

Looks good to me and if it's sounds good to you.....
    anyway, I would get rid of the TU-2 in the signalpath. Maybe a AB box can help or has one of your other pedals a tuner out?

12. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thank you!! The A/B Box is tempting, are they expensive? I think the tuner does impact the tone a little. Do A/B boxes impact tone much? what is a good brand, DOD, Morley?

Thanks all! This is helpful.

I also have a wah I am adding.

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

What about the A/B box? What is a good one and do they effect tone as well?:confused:

14. papersoul

papersoul Member

15. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here, but here's how I'd go if I were you:

Guitar -> Tuner -> Noise Gate -> Wah -> Amp

Effects Send -> Chorus -> GE7 -> Delay -> Effects Return

If you want the noise gate in the loop, I'd place it first in the loop (before chorus). Just MHO, YMMV, etc.

But - use your own ears and decide what you like. For instance, there's no reason to use an A/B box (or spend the money on one) if you don't hear any difference (or a bad difference, anyway) with the tuner in your signal chain. I use a Boss tuner as well, first in my signal chain, and I don't have any problem whatsoever with it. A lot of guys will tell you you're crazy for putting the GE7 in your loop (the same old "tone sucker" argument) - I've used one in my effects loop as a solo boost and had no problem with it either (although I use a Morley Little Alligator these days). So, bottom line is you need to use your own ears and discover what works for you in the context of your music style, the type of amp you have, and the type of guitar you have (HB guitars vs. SC guitars, for instance).

The point is to find your tone - enjoy the hunt!

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks, I really don;'t notice a big difference with the tuner. I have friends who do though. I also have friends who say the vintage MXR stuff sounds much better, then I

Never heard of the Little Alligator!

I think ISP recommends having the ISP noise rediction last but some say it should be first to give your effects a clean dignal.

I like the Boss GE7 but my amp requires line level in the loop. Oh well.....maybe the MXR 6 band EQ.

17. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

That's why I placed it where I did. :)

18. papersoul

papersoul Member

You mean you have it last out front but before the effects in the loop? Some still say it needs to be after the preamp to quite the high gain stage.